X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How'd I miss this one?

One of my favorite common sense stories.

From the BBC News Website.

Australia town bans bottled water

Campaigners say bottled water is bad for the environment
    A rural town in Australia has voted overwhelmingly to ban the sale of bottled water over concerns about its environmental impact.
    Campaigners say Bundanoon, in New South Wales, may be the first community in the world to have such a ban.
    They say huge amounts of resources are used to extract, package and transport bottled water.
    The discarded plastic bottles then end up as litter or go into landfill sites, the "Bundy on Tap" campaign says.
    More than 350 residents turned out to vote at the public meeting in the town hall.
    Only one resident voted against the ban, along with a representative from the bottled water industry, ABC news reported.
    The BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney says locals have promised not to set upon visitors if they ignore the ban, but they will be encouraged to fill a reusable container from water fountains in the main street.
    The reusable bottles will bear the slogan "Bundy on Tap".
    Campaigner John Dee said local opinion had been incensed when a drinks company announced plans to tap an underground reservoir in the town.
    Environmental impact
    "The company has been looking to extract water locally, bottle it in Sydney and bring it back here to sell it," he said.
    "It made people look at the environmental impact of bottled water and the community has been quite vocal about it."
    The ban has been supported by shopkeepers in the town, which has a population of about 2,500.
    "We believe Bundanoon is the world's first town that has got its retailers to ban bottled water," said Mr Dee. "We haven't found it anywhere else."
    New South Wales Premier Nathan Rees has backed the cause, ordering government departments to stop buying bottled water and use tap water instead.
    Mr Rees says it will save taxpayers money and help the environment.

J.C.

Re: How'd I miss this one?

you could always make them out crock hide?
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Interesting! Here in NY State, they recently passed a bill to place deposit charges on all juice and water containers. My thoughts on that are, "It's about time!".

Personally, I'm a fan of "bottled water" and that's about all I will drink. I know that it's become quite popular recently to publish the "idiocy" of those like me who supposedly waste our money to buy bottled water when the stuff out of the tap is supposed to be "just as good" or better.

But, that doesn't own up to continued stories of contaminated water due to breaks in the decaying public water system, and the all too frequent discoveries of contamination due to a breakdown in municiple sewage systems.

In Binghamton they had several "boil-water" days over the last few years. Out here in Painted Post, where I've lived the last 30-plus years, we've had leukimia groups show up. But even if that weren't the case, the water is so laden with iron oxide that it turns the toilet tank black within a week and over a period of ten years, the pipes are blocked with a black sludge, to the point where they have to be replaced. (I have to replace my water filter every month due to the stuff.)

Yet of all of that, we are told that the water is perfectly safe to drink. NO THANK YOU! (Besides, water here in Painted Post and in Binghamton tastes terrible.) I'll continue my "bottled spring water" and I'm rather happy that the state has now mandated deposit charges and recycling of the containers.

CWS

Comment

You're right CW. Some places are prone to problems.

Overall though, tap water is as good as bottled water from all evidence I've seen.

I am kind of surprised the super-clean-green-folks haven't thought of this and got something going everywhere. Think about it, it's the only liquid for human consumption with a distribution system already in place almost everywhere. But some have been convinced to purchase it from a company in a bottle.

Then the bottle has to be trucked for distribution, picked up or taken somewhere after purchase and emptied, then recycled or often THROWN AWAY.

Really doesn't have alot of common sense to it in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

Read the labels on bottled water. A lot of them are sourced from various municipal water supplies, just filtered a little bit, then bottled.

Comment

I wouldn't buy bottled water in Westchester, but do in the Binghamton area because of the chemicals left over from PCB manufacture.

Comment

80 million metric tons a year. (pex is in there)
              Attached Files

Comment

I am often torn over bottled water. Yes for most modern countries, tap water is good enough. However, in the event of contamination or disease, usually a fault in the pipelines, I would view those bottling companies as the infrastucture for an insurance policy that provides clean water when and where needed.

Comment

Working...
                X