X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer, Just A Word

Most of us have lost a loved one or friend to this disease, but I think Cancer is on the way to losing it's power to strike fear in our hearts. I say this because of my experience more than a year ago with my wife's diagnosis and treatment of Breast Cancer. Folks are getting seen by doctors who catch Cancer in it's many forms, much earlier on and there are better treatments and success rates than years ago. Just a couple of weeks ago my wife had some symptoms that caused her to make an appointment with the doctor, I looked the symptoms up on the "Internet", and got all depresed. While we waited for results from her test, I was expecting the worst and her attitude was great. She said there's nothing I can do by getting worried and if it's Cancer I'll get treated and be fine! As some of you know, the test came back negative and she is fine, another "Thanksgiving" gift. I wish none of you have to hear that word "Cancer", but some of you will. I just want to offer hope and peace of mind that there's progress being made. Every day more and more people are being cured, or living longer with this disease. Someday, I predict when folks hear the word Cancer, they won't have much reaction, won't have cause to be upset. Right now the best we can do is self examine, be aware of our bodies and encourage the folks we care about to do the same. Don't put off seeing a doctor, time is important. My best to all!

Re: Cancer, Just A Word

I've had this type of conversation with my wife numerous times.

They'll never find a cure for cancer - all the research, and ribbon campaigns, etc., etc. It's too much of a "big business". If they find a cure for cancer, thousands and thousands of people will be out of work.

Mark my words, the only way that we will find a cure is if it's some independent doc in a lab, looking for something else, and he happens to stumble across the answer/cure in his research. That's the way it happens sometimes (with no corporate intervention), and that's the best way that many of humanity's greatest achievments have been yielded.

Comment

Frankie, come out to Cali for the weekend, you're too stressed. Think happy thoughts. We're all going to die anyway, you wanna die happy or sad? Makes no difference to anything but you.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Frankie, come out to Cali for the weekend, you're too stressed. Think happy thoughts. We're all going to die anyway, you wanna die happy or sad? Makes no difference to anything but you.
        I am stressed, and I live in a real quiet place where nothing much happens. I can't imagine dealing with mud slides, earth quakes, fire storms, ( did I miss anything?). Sorry you guys hear me dump so much because I do think positive thoughts as well. Good thoughts in and good thoughts out, although it's kind of difficult to maintain that mindset if you turn on the news! No news today, just lots of good food. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X