X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Address

Wondering if others saw it and their opinion.

I'm unexcusably ignorant to alot of World and even U.S. government affairs.

I did watch the address and found it to be a "good" speech.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Presidential Address

Folks, for those of us that have missed it (Like myself, too busy working, as usual) here is the link off of C-span's website:
    http://www.c-span.com/Watch/Media/20...stainable.aspx

For me, it isn't a matter of if I'll be shipped off, it is a matter of when I'll be sent out to "WTF-istan". One nuclear tipped ICBM is so much cheaper to send over. The Romans would not have hesitated to press the button, why should we?

Edit:

I'll be damned, C-Span still uses RealMedia streaming...
    Last edited by tailgunner; 12-02-2009, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Thank-you Tailgunner.
      I'll watch it when I get a chance. I missed it but was looking forward to seeing it without every tom, dick, and harry spin adding their spin.
      I'd rather just add my own.

Anyway.... Thanks for posting the link.

Does C-span normally provide un-edited speeches??
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        Thank-you Tailgunner.
        I'll watch it when I get a chance. I missed it but was looking forward to seeing it without every tom, dick, and harry spin adding their spin.
        I'd rather just add my own.

Anyway.... Thanks for posting the link.

Does C-span normally provide un-edited speeches??
        Normally, though they don't store such videos for very long.

Comment

Just how many times does the man have to say 'Let me be clear' I'm starting to think that's how he prefaces everything he plans on saying.

Good speech. There is some logic to it. I disagree with him. At the point that the UN failed to see uncorrupt elections through we should have picked up and left. Now we stuck backing a corrupt government. Our continued involvement should have been dependent on Karzai resigning.

Comment

Its time to cut and run its Vietnam all over again we never seem to learn within a couple of years of leaving the Talaban will be in again and all the sacrifice will be for nothing.

Tony

Comment

No arguing the President is a great speech giver. I think his plan will result in many brave American getting killed and disabled, and when we withdraw the taliban will again take hold. The whole area there is a nightmare, the people are very old world, they do not share our ideals or security. I understand the President's concerns, I just don't think his plan can be successful. When do we seecure our borders? Mexico is a battlefield that needs to be isolated. What about iran and that little scumbag leader? Finally, when do we fix our economy? How can we pay for this war effort too?????

Comment

If there is one thing to be said about President Obama it is that he is a great orator. The question now is whether or not he will deliver, or if it will just bring on another speech. His campaign was all about Iraq being the wrong war and that the real war was in Afghanistan. He felt more diplomacy and less sabre rattling was going to win the World over and we would be loved by everyone. I have to feel in retrospect he has to be wondering if his Apology Tour made us look weak.

The big problem I see here is we elected a Junior Senator with less than 2-years of experience in Washington DC when he started running for President. He is literally learning on the job now and it is at the risk of both our security and our economy. I have a son and a quasi foster son who will likely end up in Afghanistan within the next year. I truly hope Obama is fully committed to winning over there and does not fold to those who want us out now. If he tries to make too many people happy at the same time we will lose everything.

Mark
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  If there is one thing to be said about President Obama it is that he is a great orator. The question now is whether or not he will deliver, or if it will just bring on another speech. His campaign was all about Iraq being the wrong war and that the real war was in Afghanistan. He felt more diplomacy and less sabre rattling was going to win the World over and we would be loved by everyone. I have to feel in retrospect he has to be wondering if his Apology Tour made us look weak.

The big problem I see here is we elected a Junior Senator with less than 2-years of experience in Washington DC when he started running for President. He is literally learning on the job now and it is at the risk of both our security and our economy. I have a son and a quasi foster son who will likely end up in Afghanistan within the next year. I truly hope Obama is fully committed to winning over there and does not fold to those who want us out now. If he tries to make too many people happy at the same time we will lose everything.

Mark
                  Mark your concerns for country and family are shared by many. I think the President's olive branch tour while well intended did make us look weak in the eyes of people who only understand force. I can appreciate the idea of going after the taliban, but I don't see how we will be more successful than other forces who fought in that part of the world. The President is trying to ramp up the effort in afghanistan to crush the taliban and at the same time he is trying to please those of us who don't want an open ended commitment. The two intentions work against eachother because as many folks point out, with a deadline for withdrawal our enemy can plot their moves to use that timeline against us. The thought of American casualities makes me sad and mad, especially if we leave and the taliban grows stronger! I still wonder when we will see more terrorist activity here in the USA? Have efforts thus far paid off, or is the worst ahead of us?

Comment

It might be that I'm just disappointed in his policies (all of them, really), but I don't see him as a great speaker. Love him or loathe him, Reagan was a great speaker. Obama is not in that league. He is quite a bit better than Bush, though... that's not saying much.

What I see is that the Washington faces have changed, the actions haven't.

We shouldn't be in a "tanks and guns" war in the middle east. The Soviets tried it and they had a much more formidable conventional army than we do.... they went home with their tail between their legs 15 years later, and the cost was one of the things that contributed to destroying them. The Viet Cong were essentially terrorists... we didn't have a lot of success there... wrong way to fight them. Bin Laden, who deserves a slow and painful death, is probably enjoying this immensly. You fight fire with fire.... covert terrorist operations need covert anti-terrorist efforts. You fight them from the inside out.... outside in doesn't work. It's been 6-1/2 years... how long are we going to spit into this wind??

Obama is just as much of a friend to the financial institutions as Bush was. The finance people created the economic problem. Why would anyone believe them when they say the bailout is the only way out?? As I see it, the bailout is the only way out if you're a banker. They took the money - you paid for it - but they still offer interest on savings of less than 1%, and they're screwing everyone on credit... still tough to get a loan, even if you really CAN afford it, and the credit card scam is nothing short of criminal. What's Obama say about that?

Bernanke, lobbying for another term, is now claiming that he's going to focus on regulating the banks. He and Paulsen said this LAST FALL. What the hell have he and Geitner been doing this year??? I guess giving YOUR money to the financial community is a full time job.

Another thing Obama didn't say is that one solution he's considering to the deficit problem is to cut *your* Social Security benefits that you've paid into your entire working life and delay the age to 70 before you can start collecting. Stock market is down, so peoples 401k's and IRA's are down tremendously.... taxes are bound to go up, with the war, bailout, stimulus and healthcare plans. It takes a $2 million to retire at 65 - that's CASH not net worth - how many people have any savings at all, let alone $2M??? So in short we are looking down the barrel of massive retirements of the baby boomers, many of whom will get reduced social security checks and end up living in a cardboard box under the freeway.

The economic stimulus isn't working. But the politicos tell us it is. They insult out intelligence. Unemployment is huge, what few jobs there are pay poorly. FDR tried public works programs to stimulate the economy, it didn't work. WWII ended the depression Why would an FDR style public works package work today? The fact is that a a bunch of that trillion dollars went to some construction projects - that won't do a thing in terms of creating sustainable economic recovery. The money was paid to workers that (not their fault) spent it buying Chinese made stuff. This helps us how exactly?? Another big chunk went to the individual states, who used it for payroll to avoid laying off their state workers. Would any of us have supported the economic stimulus if we knew it was gong to be used to support and maintain the beauracracy, who already is a problem because of their huge post retirement entitlement benefits??

Meanwhile, we have saved the government beauracracy but we still don't have a national energy policy. They could have spent the money on that, why didn't they?? A dollar spent there hurts the middle east terrorist - who is funded by OIL - more than a dollar spent on the war. The problem has been around forever, but it has been front and center since the gas crisis of the 1970s. That's over 35 years. While the oil lobby convinces the geniuses in Congress that they're really good guys, time passes and our industrial and technological base continues to shrink as industry moves offshore. In a relatively short time, **we won't have either the technical or economic power to beat the problem**. Then we'll see how great of a friend China is. We seem to have forgotten that they are a communist country. They haven't forgotten, they just finally figured out that they can dominate the world quicker and easier economically rather than militarily, and we're happy to help them do it. Seems to me that it won't be too much longer before we're cooking our beans over driftwood bonfires. Think I'm overstating it? We'll see.

Never mind that we could put huge numbers of people to work in alternate energy and create an entirely new industry that would give the U.S. an advantage in the global economic competition were we to get serious. But no, after 35 years it's probably safe to say that nothing is going to happen during this administration either.

Time for common sense to make a re-appearance. Time to send the Harvard MBA's with their short term "milk the profits out of it" attitude away and rebuild American industry - what made us great in the first place. I don't see Obama stepping up to do it. He's just another suit.

Well....that's what I think of Obama and his speech.
                    Last edited by Andy_M; 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Quote from Andy M. "The economic stimulus isn't working. But the politicos tell us it is. They insult out intelligence. Unemployment is huge, what few jobs there are pay poorly. FDR tried public works programs to stimulate the economy, it didn't work. WWII ended the depression Why would an FDR style public works package work today?"

A similar program would work to employ Americans and pay for it with our taxes, however there is no reason it would work as did FDR's because there is no hope for a transition to other non government funded employment. Your post was lenthy but all good points. I think the laundry list of problems facing our country prevents keeping responses brief. I think the only employers, big or small that might hire Americans are the ones who cannot export their work, or hire illegals. I hear talk of a recovery but where is it? Less than half a million Americans losing their jobs every week but still a massive number. The grand democratic solution to provide healthcare seems to be half a trillion dollar cuts to medicare and increased taxes, what will the grand solution to unemployment and the economy be?

Comment

Just thought I would put a little food for thought in here.
                        1. Illegals-who is hiring them? If they didn't get a job would they come?
                        2. Banks,credit card outrage, bailouts--Who did the deregulation? The Great Orator?
                        3. Stimulus Is it working--it is here in Mn. I can't say for the rest of the country, but then I don't think anyone else can either.
                        4. Shipping jobs overseas--Whose idea was that? (Must have been the factory workers so they could lose their homes etc.
                        5. Bush had 8 years to get us in this mess. Obama has had 10 months to try to get us out.
                        The last I knew there was about 550 plus Reps and Senators that have to agree to make some changes, but I don't hear them getting the blame. Maybe if all the venting that goes on here was sent to Washington, just maybe it might do some good.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pipestone Kid;266194]Just thought I would put a little food for thought in here.

I don't want to take up space responding to all your points but I did want to give some thoughts on "illegals". I've used the term many times here and elsewhere. I honestly believe we are talking about people who are desperate for a better life. Most are coming with the hope for a job and maybe a better life for themselves and their families. I feel sympathy for all the people who feel the need to leave their homeland in order to find a better life. Unfortunately, the massive number of people who come here illegally has created many problems. For the illegals themselves, those unlucky enough to end up working in unsafe or abusive conditions may suffer a fate worse than if they stayed in their homeland. Americans have lost jobs to hardworking illegals who will work for lower wages because they can afford to work for lower wages. We who pay taxes also pay for those who do not support the system. We pay for illegals who use the hospitals, schools, criminal system, etc. Those who employ illegals bare a responsibility, those who have allowed them to enter our borders do the same. To answer your question, I would have to say, "Yes", even if no one was hiring in the USA, there are still plenty of people so afraid, so poor, hungry, so hopeful that America is the answer that they would come. If you lived in a village in mexico where the police were butchered by drug dealers and you feared for yourself or your children, would'nt you try and come? I would!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                            Just thought I would put a little food for thought in here.
                            2. Banks,credit card outrage, bailouts--Who did the deregulation? The Great Orator?
                            3. Stimulus Is it working--it is here in Mn. I can't say for the rest of the country, but then I don't think anyone else can either.
                            4. Shipping jobs overseas--Whose idea was that? (Must have been the factory workers so they could lose their homes etc.
                            5. Bush had 8 years to get us in this mess. Obama has had 10 months to try to get us out.
                            The last I knew there was about 550 plus Reps and Senators that have to agree to make some changes, but I don't hear them getting the blame. Maybe if all the venting that goes on here was sent to Washington, just maybe it might do some good.
                            You make some great points. I see your points, but don't agree with all of them.

* I don't think the illegals take any significant work away from US citizens. But they're illegal. Time someone in government turned off the bleeding hearts and took note of that word. There is such a thing as legal immigration, after all.

* Yes, absolutely, The Great Orator did those things (well, the bailout part wasn't quite the same thing) and it was a massive F***-up. At the time, he didn't have a crystal ball, although the Reagonomics team was naive not to see it coming. Still, Obama isn't doing anything ANY BETTER, and he has the benefit of having seen the failure up close.

* The stimulus isn't working in CA. Our roads still suck, our bridges still suck, we have massive unemployment, and it's getting worse. The unemployment fund is now broke (just like the rest of the state). And if you look at the country's unemployment on the whole, along with the massive job loss over the past year, the poor state of the stock market, and the failures of major American companies... well, I strongly disagree with you. It's not working, period. But I am very glad that in you're area things are looking up. Wait until your taxes increase.... they will, they have to. Someone has to pay the band for this dance.

* Shipping jobs overseas is the idea of the aforementioned "Harvard MBAs". They don't want to invest in recapitalizing industry or reinventing industrial methods. They can just ship the manufacturing off to China, exploit low wages, poor conditions, and no safety or environmental regulations to save all that capital investment money it would take to make US factories competitive. And the result is that they show great returns in the current quarter. It's time to stop this baloney as well, with no-nonsense tax code changes that promote GROWTH, not just reward industry blindly. This was another huge failing of the Repubs (and I am a republican!!) but the Demos aren't doing ONE DAMN THING to fix it. Why? because they are all the same, all influenced by money and lobbyists. Unfortunately, you and I don't have money or lobbyists.

* Bush was an idiot. Possibly the worst President ever. Clinton was better, but not Einstein either. He was just in at a better time. The current mess has been brewing since the 60's, possibly earlier. Every change of hands in Washington has just made it worse. Some made it much worse. Even if the economy was better during some of their terms, none of the numbskulls addressed healthcare, energy, terrorism, the financial system, government corruption and ethics, education and on and on.... none of them. The pigeons are coming home to roost.

* I blame the reps and senators. Those are the "geniuses in Congress" I was referring to . Do you write to your senators and representatives to tell them what you want? I hope so. I do. My rep is Zoe Lofgren, she knows me well and I sometimes get actual reponses, not the form letters. We all should be complaining to these people. Then complain with your VOTE.

Comment

For those who like to blame one (and only one) fella for all the ills of today's America, a little refresher in the history of the US of A:

The guy on the left is Nixon (Rep.). The guy n the right is MaoTsetung (one of the greatest murderers in th history of human kind). That handshake was not about human rights in China. It was about sending your jobs to the Communist Republic of China:

War in Afghanistan was a mistake for a number of reasons. One was that the majority of US troops were sent to....Iraq instead, the country that had NOTHING to do with 911. In fact, Iraq was US friend when it counted. The photo below show Rumsfeld on the friendly tour to Iraq. That handshake took place just shortly after Saddam gassed Iranians and his own people. Some of the chemical weapons used were sold to Iraq by the US and American administration (Bush Sr.) new full well what the chemicals were used for:

In addition, a country that had the biggest part in the 911 attacks was not even close to being scrutinized in the matter. But then, one does not fight with friends, eh?

The money grab aka Stimulus Package was passed by the US Senate under, and following the encouragement of the previous conservative administration:

I'm not sure I can say I'm disappointed with Obama though. I think I expected that sooner or later he would be tutored about the real job a US president is expected to do - to be a delivery boy for the big corporations and the private organization of criminals called the Federal Reserve.

As for Obama bowing or showing weakness... it's either that or showing continuing stupidity of Bush Jr. Which would you choose?

The fact is that the US is in a shamble. A trillion $ owed to China. Actually, it's the Chinese who had a big part in the banks bailout. After all they own quite a few US based assets so they pull the strings and the US presidents have to dance to the Chinese tune.

Sad. Very sad what has become of this once economically strong country. It's been sold out piece meal and the good news is nowhere in sight.
                              Last edited by darius; 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM.
                              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                              X