X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire extinguishers

I don't recall ever reading about fire extinguishers on this entire reflector.

I just inspected the one I have in my work shop area and the pressure gauge was no where
    near the "ok" mark!

I contemplated just getting it recharged but the difference in cost of a new one made me
    go with new units. Besides the valve is around 10-12 years old and why take a chance of a malfunction during that critical time when it's needed.

I also replaced the one in our home although it indicated good. I'll put that one by my welding cart.

While at Lowe's I noticed two "similar" yet different units. One was $29.00 the other $49.00
    One was white and one was red. Sadly, heche en mexico! Can't the folks in the USA even make fire extinguishers any longer?

The new units have a warranty of 12 years. I understand that it should be ok for 10-12 years ...I have no immediate plans of ever needing to use it!

The model I purchased was the First Alert pro-5. It was the $49.00 model. I think it can be recharged and has a better made tank compared to the $29.00 unit. My old units were by kiddie but Lowe's only carried the First alert brand. They all had the myriad of UL and NFPA seals of approval. They are also rated for A-B-C classes of fires.

No one at the store really knew the differences between the $29.00 and $49.00 units. They seemed to be the same size and felt the same weight. I suspect the pro-5 has a better or wider spray pattern.

I figure $100.00 for two fire extinguishers is cheap insurance. I will inspect the small unit I have in my van to determkine if it needs replacement also.

So fellow forum readers..check your fire extinguishers and ensure they are ready to go!
    If you don't have one seriously think about getting one for the home, shop, and auto.

Cactus Man

Re: Fire extinguishers

So what did you do with the old 'dead' one? It shouldn't go in the trash AFAIK, hand it over to the Fire Dept or ask them how to properly dispose of it in your municipality.

http://portal.knowledgebase.net/al/1...&r=0.2239749&s=

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...e+extinguisher
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i have a little experience with these.

if you read the fine print on the back label, you might find the actual weight of that fire extinguisher. i think it's a standard here in north america.

don't know why there would be a difference in price.

up here, on our fire trucks and ambulance, the Ansul f.e.'s have "purple K" as the extinguishing agent.

purple k is good for vehicles that go out into a freezing temperatures from a heated parking garage (ie; emergency/heavy equipment), because the powder don't cake up due to the condensation inside the bottle.

Vince

Comment

Fire extinguishers should be checked at least once a year. They are pressure vessels and should be treated that way.
        Check to make sure that the pressure gauge is in the 'ok' position
        Verify that the lock pin is in position and secured
        Check that the bottle is clean and dent/gouge free
        Turn the bottle upside down and tap on a firm surface to loosen the powder. This should be done at least every three months for a bottle that’s in a vehicle.
        Date and initial the inspection tag.

Five pound bottles aren't worth it. Get at least a 10 or 20lb. bottle. Call your local fire department and see if they have fire extinguisher demo's. I do the demo's at our department. A little bit of experience and training with a bottle and a live fire can make a big difference when it's really needed. Being told to spray at the base of the fire is one thing. Actually doing it with a live fire to see the results is something all together different. Everybody that wants bottle training gets it.

There is not much sense it having a tool around if you only think that you know how to use it properly. When you really need it, is not the time to try to train yourself and *hope* you get it right.

Mick

Comment

As for the old fire extinguisher, look in your yellow pages under "Fire Extinguishers" and find a nearby place that services them. They know how to properly dispose of old ones taken out of service.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-07-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Call your local fire department and see if they have fire extinguisher demo's. I do the demo's at our department. A little bit of experience and training with a bottle and a live fire can make a big difference when it's really needed. Being told to spray at the base of the fire is one thing. Actually doing it with a live fire to see the results is something all together different.

that is just about the best advice you can give somebody

learn how to use one before you need to use one

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I send the old fire extinguishers to people I don't like!

Seriously the points given by others here are valuable. I was the safety officer at one hospital I worked at and had a number of opportunities to play with fire.
              Actually I used to be a pyromaniac on weekends in Chicago with an engine company.

Oh I finally found out some of the differences between the red and white units..
              The difference is the amount of fire fighting time...the red is longer than the white.

The red= 15 seconds at 20 feet
              the white= 13 seconds at 4 feet

So far though, no one has indicated what they have in their work shop area for fire prevention.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                So far though, no one has indicated what they have in their work shop area for fire prevention.

Fire prevention or fighting an accidental fire?
                Thinking and acting safely is my fire prevention. But just in case something does happen, I have two 20 pounders in the shop and two in the garage. I also have a fire hydrant in front of my property, thirty feet from my garage, forty from my shop, 250' of 1 1/2" line, two nozzles, and two hydrant wrenches.

Mick

Comment

20# extinguisher at the door between my shop and the house, checked regularly (but not banged to loosen powder - thanks fireguy!) 5# extinguisher in the MG.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Usually the difference between the 30 and $50 units is rechargeability. The cheaper ones usually have a plastic valve and are a one shot deal. If the pressure gage dips or you use a little out of it for a small fire, or it reaches its expiration date, it is done. The more expensive ones can be refilled if used, or serviced and recertified if they reach their expiration date. One 20# in my garage, and a 5# under the kitchen sink. Probably should have more, as the nearest hydrant is pretty far, but I do have an above ground pool they can pump out of in the summer!

Comment

Best way for me to deal with a house fire?

Comment

Working...
                      X