X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Appreciation for your Profession

This would of been a great topic around Thanksgiving but I didn't come up with the thought until now.

All of us have many talents, skills, educational backgrounds that come with a variety of expertise ranging from the simplest to the most complex. What we fail to recognize, mention or sometimes realize is that the longer you stay with your field of expertise, the better we become, the faster we move, the more capable we are able to work without error.

With that being said, we as professionals don't always get the pat on the back we deserve given the speed of life and how the daily grind is absorbed by the priorities we face, constantly.

Take this thread and scan back to your first days in the profession, how you graduated from one level of knowledge to another, how your mistakes have now guided you to the path where you lead, not follow with your thinking. You do not have to be a business owner or self employed to make those statements ring true.

Whether work is thriving for you right now or sitting standstill, whether bills are paid or collecting dust, remember that your profession has provided you with more than an income.

It has paved your intentions

It has provided you with benefit

It has supported you and family

For some it has provided college educations for yourself or family members

It has helped others in need without reward

It has advanced your position to provide job security

It has brought an awareness to "where you could be" if you didn't follow the path you set out for

It provides the good memories that make jobsite/work discussions the best communication tool ever known to work life

It has provided good insurance that you and tools can find work when need be

It provides the current, future work relationships that allow for preferences in work detail

It has its own system of guarantees, what to expect and what becomes favorable in times of good and bad

There are so many positives in spending time in our careers, whether plumbing, welding, framing, woodworking, construction, farming, architecture, design engineering, computer systems, you name it. They are all valued trades in the big picture, and they make what we do every day comfortable. Why? Because every day you work in your field of knowledge, you are constantly learning and you learn from mistakes in the past, continue to strive towards perfection.

So use this thread as one of personal reflection. Next time you roll down that road in your vehicle, listening to your favorite song, realize the amazing value of your wisdom, intelligence, motivation and desire to succeed, how far you've ventured. This thread isn't for just the older generation either.

This applies to all trades and professions whether you've been working months or years. Don't let life forget about that personal appreciation standard that doesn't always have to come from the mouth of another.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-08-2009, 01:17 AM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: The Appreciation for your Profession

The amasing thing about my current profession, it can be completely messed up, and I mean a complete "WTF is this? I don't even...", screwed up, hacked, twisted around, and downright mind-boggling, and STILL be able to function.

No other trade can pull this off. Hell, not even Communications can touch electrical. If a plumber screws up, pipes blow up. If an HVAC tech screws up, a gas pipe blows up, if a carpenter screws up, something collapses. I challenge anyone that can accomplish the same level of ineptitude the electrical trade can absorb and still have the work perform as intended.
    Last edited by tailgunner; 12-08-2009, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Many years ago when my wife to be introduced me to her many relatives and family friends, their response to my being a "Telephone Man" was, that's okay you'll get a real job! Most of them were in the Trades and construction. I'm proud of the work I did and the great men I learned from and worked with. The job did provide me and my family with a good life, one daughter about to graduate college and another soon to enter, a house, cars, and medical benefits now that I'm retired. My knowledge grew on the job and my technique to operate a wide array of trucks and equipment grew as well. Unfortunately my body did not hold up from the many pulled manhole covers, loaded cable reels, shoulder carried telephone poles and sixteen pound sledge hammer swings. I did not build structures of stone and steel but people and businesses will use the many cables I placed for years to come. I did some meaningful work, and I know it.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        The amasing thing about my current profession, it can be completely messed up, and I mean a complete "WTF is this? I don't even...", screwed up, hacked, twisted around, and downright mind-boggling, and STILL be able to function.

No other trade can pull this off. Hell, not even Communications can touch electrical. If a plumber screws up, pipes blow up. If an HVAC tech screws up, a gas pipe blows up, if a carpenter screws up, something collapses. I challenge anyone that can accomplish the same level of ineptitude the electrical trade can absorb and still have the work perform as intended.
        Come on Tailgunner, electrical work is serious and dangerous work! You mess up and something can catch fire, explode, someone could get electrocuted. Your have seen the hack jobs and done the job the right way, but so have folks in other trades. The hack jobs in other trades sometimes hold up quite a while and then fall apart causing some of the problems you mentioned. I've seen what a loose ground can do and I'd put it up there with the worst plumbing and carpentry has to offer in terms of risk of harm. I have a great respect for all trades including electrical, don't put it or yourself down.

Comment

I really enjoy the sevice end of fire sprinklers, making repairs and fixing others hack jobs. It is amazing at the damage just plain ol' water can do to most components of a building, or in the event of an underground blow out or leak just how much dirt can be moved in a short period of time. There were two hack sprinkler companies here in town that I followed around for years making repairs and remodels. There is still one system that I take care of that is a real mess, the owners do not want to spend any money on it so I just patch it up and move on, sad. There are a couple of systems that are approching 100 years old and doing pretty good, ever heard of General Fire Extinguisher, that was Grinnell before they were Grinnell. I was fortunate enought to learn from a REAL oldtimer who also was into service work. Got to design many special hazard jobs that I will never have the chance to do again, it was gov. work in some classified areas, good memories.
          Fire sprinklers have been good to me and my family. It is nice to find something you like to do and get paid to do it.
          This is truly one of the last design - build trades out there, most other trades already have the prints made for them before the job even bids.

To me the turd herders are the real heros, that is just one job money would not motivate me to do. My hats off to you guys.

G3
          Last edited by G3sprinklers; 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM. Reason: cause I can

Comment

O course, the electrician is dead--he fried himself.

Comment

I know there has been times where it almost hurt to look at my tools in this profession, knowing I had a huge setback once. It was my fault for chasing $80 grand a year but who wouldn't?

I've been hard on my body through all of it, but there's no better insurance in the world than being in 3-7 homes a day with people paying you for your talent. Most jobs are fairly easy, it's usually the routine that gets cumbersome that makes you hate it.

But, it's like anything; it will have its peaks and valleys as you go.

It's been a reliable profession to me even though the last couple years have been interesting.

All in all, it provides me with "keys" to do other things as I move about, hoping for the big pie in the sky mentality.

I look forward to getting back to earnings I used to enjoy back just 18 months ago. I get that point and all is well. Right now just means a slow crawl, but has made me a far better money manager of sorts.

Finding the good in bad is recommended.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Come on Tailgunner, electrical work is serious and dangerous work! You mess up and something can catch fire, explode, someone could get electrocuted. Your have seen the hack jobs and done the job the right way, but so have folks in other trades. The hack jobs in other trades sometimes hold up quite a while and then fall apart causing some of the problems you mentioned. I've seen what a loose ground can do and I'd put it up there with the worst plumbing and carpentry has to offer in terms of risk of harm. I have a great respect for all trades including electrical, don't put it or yourself down.
                Not quite what I meant. What I had in mind was a time when I had taken a tour of a Ford stamping plant. My uncle, who is an industrial electrician there, brought me before a motor controller cabinet. With a flick of his wrist "Here is what the real world of motor controls looks like." and boing this pile of what looks like speggeti seemed to have been thrown at me from within. All the labels had fallen of, there was tar, grime, and grease inside this thing, and every wire was the same color!
                Last edited by tailgunner; 12-08-2009, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Not quite what I meant. What I had in mind was a time when I had taken a tour of a Ford stamping plant. My uncle, who is an industrial electrician there, brought me before a motor controller cabinet. With a flick of his wrist "Here is what the real world of motor controls looks like." and boing this pile of what looks like speggeti seemed to have been thrown at me from within. All the labels had fallen of, there was tar, grime, and grease inside this thing, and every wire was the same color!
                  gotta love trouble shooting in the dark

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X