More "Change"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More "Change"

I'll let Wikipedia cover this one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teabagging

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      I'm replying at the risk of being called a conservative, racist and other derogatory terms because I have a different opinion, but here goes. What lessons have china, india and mexico for example learned from the USA? They pay their workers slave wages, squash any attempts by workers to unify and they pollute their environments. You guys have blinders just like the worst conservatives when it suits your purpose. Tunnel vision does not allow for the big picture.
      China, India and Mexico are examples of countries that have not passed the US in many ways. They are in stages of development much like the US was at the end of the 18th century. Cheap labor and environmentally damaging policies were the norm for the US once too. We did change. The people of our country saw the injustices and consequences of those policies and through civil disobedience and organized voting forced change. In China and India they haven't gotten their yet. It seems to be a natural course of a countries development to abuse its people and resources to bring about an end result of prosperity. Following that same course I expect those countries will suffer civil unrest and will be forced to step up against their slave labor policies and environmental pillaging. Those are problems ahead for those countries.

I'd prefer we look at the ways other countries have moved ahead or are moving ahead of us and adjust to compete rather then look back at were countries fall behind us and wonder if they'll catch up.

I do not feel my views have blinders. I as a person listen and respond to logic reason and fact. In the past those were supported and propagated by conservatives and I allied with those people. Now the conservative movement in American has become something much different. Rather then making arguments with reason logic or fact the mainstream of the movement has opted to move to irrational positions, leave logic and the door and spread lies and misinformation.

Personally I think the Republican party has been hijacked by its fringe. I believe it is beyond the ability of the good sane members of the party to recover it. I think our only hope as a country to get back to a level of honest debate and a free forum for of diverse political opinion is for the Republican party to be ousted as the fringe it has become and for the Democratic party to stop their policy of inclusion at any cost, to step beyond allying amongst themselves only to be viable. The need to take interest in positions they are willing and able to defend. It would force them to split appropriately between the lines of conservatism and liberalism.

I'll let Wikipedia cover this one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teabagging
      I don't think that covers the question. The question involved the initial use of the tea parties use of 'teabagging.' If as some conservatives are now claiming it had nothing to do with the slang reference the liberals have pointed out, what reference did conservatives intend to have the verb 'teabagging' attached to?

Comment

What do they mean when they say 'tea bag the liberal dems'? What action does this indicate? Tea bag in that photo is used as a verb. If it is not in reference to the original definition of the phrase, then what does it it mean?

The radical right has indeed infected the RNC. It use to be that intelligent, objective thought was the mantra of that party. But these days it's is almost impossible to differentiate between a CSPAN broadcast of republic speech taking place on the floor of the house or senate or FOX News. Sure the dems have some equally colorful members, but by and large the repubs in congress work overtime to make sure they get something in the current news cycle. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

The RNC and their members in congress have absolutely no credibility. None.

Imagine had they considered that deficits do matter?

Imagine had they decided to double down on the budget surplus back in 2001 and further reduce generational theft rather than take care of the trust fund babies and transnational corporations?

Imagine had they not given the executive branch everything they wanted and then some?

Imagine had they been an effective counter-balance to the aggregation of power practiced by the white house for eight years? Did they think that the next administration would not assume those same powers? What would the republics say if Bidden came out and said that he wasn't part of the executive branch? Would they remain as silent as when Cheney made this proclamation?

Imagine had they considered the compromise of an undercover CIA agent high crimes and treason and imagine how valuable that information and that infrastructure would have been today? Instead, that vital intelligence channel was destroyed and decimated purely for personal purposes.

Imagine using "I don't recall" as a first, second and last line of defense in a simply civil trial, let alone a trial of such national impact? How could someone with such poor recall ever attain the highest law enforcement position in the US?

After eight years of seeing incompetence rewarded by failing upwards (Brownie???) todays rabble rousers are morally, intellectually and ethically bankrupt. After eight years of lying, cheating and stealing on a scale no one ever could have imagined possible, these practioneers of deceit have the gall to lay the resulting ills of their corrupted ideology at our feet and produce crocodile tears when they are reminded that they were the cause of much of what ails this country today.
        Last edited by SpiffPeters; 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
          China, India and Mexico are examples of countries that have not passed the US in many ways. They are in stages of development much like the US was at the end of the 18th century. Cheap labor and environmentally damaging policies were the norm for the US once too. We did change. The people of our country saw the injustices and consequences of those policies and through civil disobedience and organized voting forced change. In China and India they haven't gotten their yet. It seems to be a natural course of a countries development to abuse its people and resources to bring about an end result of prosperity. Following that same course I expect those countries will suffer civil unrest and will be forced to step up against their slave labor policies and environmental pillaging. Those are problems ahead for those countries.

I'd prefer we look at the ways other countries have moved ahead or are moving ahead of us and adjust to compete rather then look back at were countries fall behind us and wonder if they'll catch up.

I do not feel my views have blinders. I as a person listen and respond to logic reason and fact. In the past those were supported and propagated by conservatives and I allied with those people. Now the conservative movement in American has become something much different. Rather then making arguments with reason logic or fact the mainstream of the movement has opted to move to irrational positions, leave logic and the door and spread lies and misinformation.

Personally I think the Republican party has been hijacked by its fringe. I believe it is beyond the ability of the good sane members of the party to recover it. I think our only hope as a country to get back to a level of honest debate and a free forum for of diverse political opinion is for the Republican party to be ousted as the fringe it has become and for the Democratic party to stop their policy of inclusion at any cost, to step beyond allying amongst themselves only to be viable. The need to take interest in positions they are willing and able to defend. It would force them to split appropriately between the lines of conservatism and liberalism.

I don't think that covers the question. The question involved the initial use of the tea parties use of 'teabagging.' If as some conservatives are now claiming it had nothing to do with the slang reference the liberals have pointed out, what reference did conservatives intend to have the verb 'teabagging' attached to?
          "China, india and mexico are not there yet", understatement of the year. I'm sure they'll catch up to us real soon. Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            "China, india and mexico are not there yet", understatement of the year. I'm sure they'll catch up to us real soon. Happy New Year.
            It took the US over a hundred years. Industrialization and slave wages started in the US in the 1820's. The federal minimum wage law was implemented in 1938. When measured against the US those countries would have another 50+ years to catch up. I think they'll catch up sometime sooner then that but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
              It took the US over a hundred years. Industrialization and slave wages started in the US in the 1820's. The federal minimum wage law was implemented in 1938. When measured against the US those countries would have another 50+ years to catch up. I think they'll catch up sometime sooner then that but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

It will take much sooner than that for several reasons:

1. Unlike our industrial revolution, the technology exists for safer and more efficient equipment in the world.

2. They have the internet to communicate with the rest of us.

3. They will have no choice, this world has grown much smaller, as such those countries will be incrediably hard pressed to clean up their acts if they with to partake with world trade, which is more vital today than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                It will take much sooner than that for several reasons:

1. Unlike our industrial revolution, the technology exists for safer and more efficient equipment in the world.

2. They have the internet to communicate with the rest of us.

3. They will have no choice, this world has grown much smaller, as such those countries will be incrediably hard pressed to clean up their acts if they with to partake with world trade, which is more vital today than ever.
                The combination of corrupt and opressive communist governments can stifle any progress technology might offer. That extends to the Intenet. President Obama and other world leaders can talk all they want about global warming and green technologies, but china holds our debt and provides our consumer goods and many of our necessities. I think it will take a resurgence of the USA, to lead the way for profitable, green and clean industry to get the worlds attention. Right now china holds the cards and we have helped stack the deck against ouselves. Mexico and india have no EPA, no OSHA. Shame of it is that with such cheap and opressed labor, they could probably afford to cleanup their act. I respect the mindset of making the world a better and cleaner place for generrations to come. I am however concerned for the here and now and the near future which has me very concerned. I don't see America coming out of this economic mess without less reliance on china and other countries. I care about all people, but I do care more about my fellow Americans.

Comment

Working...
                X