X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Very Best Years?

I don't know what the very best years were, to live, work, love and raise a family? These are our years and we have to make the best of them, but I was just watching a old movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and I found a few things interesting. The movie is set in the 1850's and times were uncomplicated and life was rough. The movie was made in the late fifties and although there was no cursing or fancy special effects, it was very entertaining. If you have some time and had your fill of grotesque violence and profanity, check out some of these older movies. You might be surprised.

Re: The Very Best Years?

I was just about to watch a movie on netflix.
    I'll check it out. Hopefully they have it in play it now.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Friggin' Netflix "watch it now" SUCKS!
      I swear EVERY movie I have searched is NOT available in Watch It Now.

This movie was made in 1954 and POS netflix for some reason can't offer it in watch it now?

I can get it by mail. Lets see if I order it today I should have it by Wednesday.

I can see this with newer movies but come on, 1954!
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Franki,

Thanks for the post... I'm an old movie fan and usually spend my TV time with TCM Classic Movies. Once in awhile there will be something new in the theater that I find of interest, but there's no better movie enjoyment (for me) than watching many of the old ones.

I think life was much simpler in so many ways "back then" and frankly I really hate the fact that we now appear to have to involve insane violence and action in order to make a movie financially successful. It's reached a point where we really can't even duplicate it on the movie set, but have to conjure it up via computer graphics. Doesn't seem to say much about our culture and it's "thirst" I think. But of course we do occasionally have a few good movies a year that we can take pride and interest in.

I wish that I could say that about TV though... I gave up watching network TV some time ago. Too much violence for me. Sort of funny that years ago "Walker, Texas Ranger" got kicked off TV because of it's violent behavior (can't have the good guy kick the bad guy... what would our kids learn from that). Now we have violence of the worst kind possible and "Walker" is now a showpiece on the "Hallmark" channel. Who would have ever imagined?

CWS

Comment

I'm close to sixty now and just as my appreciation of music has spanned all those years and styles, so has my taste in movies. Way too many to mention, but there have been some I never get tired of watching. There was a Thread here recently regarding tv favorites and there are some gems. NCIS has given me a look into this fine government dept, good acting and characters and a story line that educates as well. CSI and some of the programs on discovery and TLC also entertain and educate. A buddy recently asked me to transfer a old vhs tape of "Treasure of the Sierra Madres" onto DVD for him and while watching, I had forgotten how great this movie was, what acting!

Comment

Frank,

As uncomplicated as thing may have been in 1850 I know myself and many others here would have been dead from medical complications. I would say the "Best Years" would have been the years we (whoever we are) did them because nothing else matters.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Frank,

As uncomplicated as thing may have been in 1850 I know myself and many others here would have been dead from medical complications. I would say the "Best Years" would have been the years we (whoever we are) did them because nothing else matters.

Mark
              Mark, as I was writing this Thread and as I watch movies or programs involving the old days or difficult times I think the same exact thing. I had a ruptured appendix when I was five and without modern medical intervention several times throughout my life I would not be here. When I watch the program "Survivor" I am disappointed by the display of human behavior by most of the contestants, but I can't deny their intestinal fortitude. I don't think I could last a day without clean water and the right food for my altered insides.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Mark, as I was writing this Thread and as I watch movies or programs involving the old days or difficult times I think the same exact thing. I had a ruptured appendix when I was five and without modern medical intervention several times throughout my life I would not be here. When I watch the program "Survivor" I am disappointed by the display of human behavior by most of the contestants, but I can't deny their intestinal fortitude. I don't think I could last a day without clean water and the right food for my altered insides.
                What makes you think they do???

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  What makes you think they do???
                  When I said "intestinal fortitude" I meant it both literally as well as figuritively. I have quite a bit of internal scar tissue wrapped around my insides. Eating raw fruits, roughage, fibre foods would kill me, that's how bad it is. Sometimes laying the wrong way in bed, or straining my abdomen will kink things up and I'm in bad pain for hours hoping I won't need surgery. I look at healthy people and envy their gift of health they take for granted. My health problems have been both a curse and blessing of sorts. The pain and occassional disability make me humble and thankful when I'm not doubled up. I think I have a greater appreciation for health, and life because I have had to think about my mortality from a young age. Like Clint Eastwood said "A Man's Got To Know His Own Limitations", I pretty much know mine, maybe those other folks I envy are just ignorant of their good fortune?

Comment

Name:  5155015d94bb67e493376595eda8e1c8.gif
Views: 1
Size:  1.1 KB are these the best years? Attachment

That varies on a level of many, MANY different variables.

Technology? Absolutely.

Newspaper boy? Never

I could do a countless list of many positive/negative differences......all depends where the money is flowing ...
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Here is the trailer for the movie. http://www.matttrailer.com/seven_bri..._brothers_1954
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When you throw the science and medical advances into the picture, surely there is little to argue a case against modern times.

That aside (which I suppose we really can't do), there's a loss of a lot of things among which I could mention safety, morality, honor, and a culture of family values.

Of course we can all maintain these things within ourselves and of course there is the "sanctuary" that we build for our own lives and those that we love. But beyond that we still have to venture out into the world where far too many others haven't a clue what it is to be "honorable".

Yeah, I know that such things depend on where you live and certainly there were places in our history that were much more dangerous than they are now, but I'm used to living in a society where civility and honor and looking out in behalf of others meant something. Also, one simply conducted themselves in a manner that didn't bring dishonor to their family, or friends, or thier community.

When I was young, I neve worried about what the cops might do to me, I knew that any incursion would disappoint my father, my family, and my comrads. Somewhere, somehow, much of that is lost I think. Now regardless of the crime, some families and communities will go to lengths to protect their own. That is pretty sad I think and we as a whole are somewhat less for that inability to distinquish between right and wrong.

CWS

Comment

CWS, great post. I always try and communicate those ideals to my daughters and while they demonstrate both self respect and respect for others, it is much more difficult to do this when the majority of parents do not. I agree with you that we try and build our own little peaceful/respectful society at home, but then you go out and see adults acting like fools sending the wrong message to their children. Those old days were as I said rough, but the display of good manners and courtesy was nice. Many store employees are told to be polite, smile and thank the customers, but how many shoppers and their children respond in kind? I was recently at the counter of my library checking out some books and a young guy in his twenties behind me said "watch out" as he tried to get in front of me to put down a few DVD's. I didn't budge and he finally said excuse my I want to put these down. I felt like punching him out, but then I thought he was brought up without manners or was high, or both?

Comment

Working...
                          X