X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: East cost winter storm 12/09

First time I saw snow was in boot camp. The next time was in 99 when I was in Kosovo. Never seen since.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      Strange, here in western mass, we only gotten a couple inches. A hard sneeze can blow this stuff away.
      We only got about 3 inches where I am about 50 miles north of New York city.

Comment

Here in Southern CT total was about eight inches, not much at all overnight.
        Regarding the windsheild wiper thing, the blades really don't freeze to the glass. When the wipers are in the off/down position snow and ice can pack down and lock up the mechanism, causing damage as Mark suggested to the wiper motor or as I have experienced, the wiper transmission. When I finish clearing the windsheild of snow, I lift the blades and clean the blades away from their resting position. Some newer cars have the wiper blades recessed quite a bit, so leaving them part way up might not be a bad idea with the exception of having them stolen (I've seen that too).

Comment

im like you i clean the car off and have the defroster on then clean around the bottom of the wiper and all is done
          i also have a deicing liquid in a spray bottle that works well to get down into where the springs are .it is also good to have winter blades

i have seen people put the wipers up in the summer time ,they thing they will melt on a hot windshield
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Here in Southern CT total was about eight inches, not much at all overnight.
            Regarding the windsheild wiper thing, the blades really don't freeze to the glass. When the wipers are in the off/down position snow and ice can pack down and lock up the mechanism, causing damage as Mark suggested to the wiper motor or as I have experienced, the wiper transmission. When I finish clearing the windsheild of snow, I lift the blades and clean the blades away from their resting position. Some newer cars have the wiper blades recessed quite a bit, so leaving them part way up might not be a bad idea with the exception of having them stolen (I've seen that too).
            I've grown up in Montreal, lived in Calgary, and now in British Columbia. I've never been in an area that didn't get lots of snow. I've never heard or seen of the windshield wiper lift until this thread. Out of everybody that I've ever known, I was the only one to ever replace a wiper motor, and that was on a 26 year old truck.

We just make sure that we clean the snow off of the trucks/cars before we drive. I can understand the burnout problem if people get in their cars and turn the wipers on to try to get a hole in the snow instead of brushing the car off.

Mick

Comment

I'm in central Maine. We didn't even get one flake of snow from this storm
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I'm in central Maine. We didn't even get one flake of snow from this storm

That's it, tempt fate you goon. God is going to have something special in store for YOU for saying that!

Comment

Hey Gene, they get a foot of snow ( a mere dusting) and whine like babies.

Hell, I don't even bother plowing a foot, just drive over it and pack it down. Don't any you fella's have 4 wheel drive?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

Hell, I don't even bother plowing a foot, just drive over it and pack it down. Don't any you fella's have 4 wheel drive?
                    For those of us that live in civilised parts of the land, we have very brave workers whom plow the roads for us.

Comment

Plows are for chickens

Man up, put her in gear and give it some gas.

Go Patriots !
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

I do, my vehicles are 4WD or AWD. Unfortunately the wifes vehicle is not so there is some clearing involved for her to be able to get out on the road.

Attachment
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 12-21-2009, 09:32 AM. Reason: added photo
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Nice one Woussko. I notice a couple fans on the dash in
                          case it gets too hot in the cabin.
                          I was laughing at the fans myself. Maybe they rotate so they can blow heated air at the windshield when needed?

I bet you'll enjoy this video which I happened to find it last winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha59KFvCQUY
                          Last edited by Woussko; 12-21-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                            And that's why I left Chicago after the winter of 1979 and moved to Arizona. My buddy liked my idea and did one better..he now lives in Hawaii. I should have gone further west!

So..how's that GLOBAL WARMING working for ya?

Sorry I just couldn't help myself

Cactus Man
                            The global warming wackjobs will still blame the snow on global warming!

Comment

My new hood ornament

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X