• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Senate Passes Health Care

Health Bill Could Assist Four Cancer Centers
    By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
    Published: September 21, 2009
    WASHINGTON — The Nevada Cancer Institute, in Las Vegas, may not have a national reputation as a clinic or a research facility. But it does have the ear of its state’s senior senator, Harry Reid, the Democratic leader. And that is why the four-year-old institute could reap a big gain in federal reimbursements as part of the health care overhaul.

After months of noisy public debates over big policy ideas like universal coverage and a public insurance option, the health care legislation is getting down to the fine print. This is the time when powerful members of Congress customarily tuck in their pet projects, either to please their constituencies or as sweeteners to win the votes of lawmakers who may be sitting on the fence.

Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, a wavering Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, has proposed expanding Medicare coverage of home infusion therapy, a form of treatment for a variety of purposes that is championed by a medical entrepreneur in her state. Senator Orrin G. Hatch, a Utah Republican on the panel, is seeking a health care tax break for any state that “begins with the letter U.”

But few proposed amendments to the health care bill now before the Finance Committee better exemplify the process than one that would help out the Nevada Cancer Institute. Known in Congressional parlance as a “rifle shot” — the narrowly focused tax or policy equivalent of a spending earmark — the proposal would provide more favorable Medicare payment rates to just a handful of specific medical facilities.

Three of them — a hospital under construction in Cleveland, a venerable center in Detroit and, apparently, another in New Jersey — are among some 40 “comprehensive cancer centers” that have received grants with that designation from the government’s National Cancer Institute. The young Nevada institute has not earned that status. It aspires to it, though, its Web site says.

In addition to the favor of the top Senate Democrat, the amendment has the sponsorship of two other members of the party leadership, Senators Debbie Stabenow of Michigan and Robert Menendez of New Jersey, suggesting it is a rifle shot with some velocity. A spokesman for Ms. Stabenow called the provision a “typical rifle shot.”

The identities of the beneficiaries are hard to determine on first reading. The text of the amendment describes its purpose only as ensuring “access to high quality cancer care.”

Then, in classic rifle-shot style, the text masks the names of the beneficiaries by using, in a kind of code, the dates they first received “comprehensive cancer center” grants from the National Cancer Institute. The amendment would cover “certain hospitals” if they “received N.C.I. comprehensive cancer care designation on July 27, 1978, February 17, 1998, June 13, 2000.”

The first date turns out to refer to the Karmanos Cancer Center in Detroit. A government relations official there said the hospital had been seeking such an exemption for about six years through Senator Stabenow and its local congressman, Representative Sander M. Levin. Mr. Levin, a Democratic member of the House Ways and Means Committee, is among the outspoken supporters of a public insurance plan whom the president and Senate leaders may try to woo to a compromise.

The second date refers to University Hospitals in Cleveland, which is building a new cancer hospital and has lobbied hard for such treatment. (One of Ohio’s senators, Sherrod Brown, a Democrat, helped write the public insurance option in the Senate health committee’s bill.)

The third date is more of a mystery, or perhaps a result of a drafting error. A spokeswoman for the National Cancer Institute could find no record of a hospital that received a “comprehensive cancer center” grant on June 13, 2000. But the date appears intended to refer to the Cancer Institute of New Jersey and an affiliate, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

A spokesman for the institute’s congressman, Representative Frank Pallone Jr., a Democrat who heads the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health, said he believed the Stabenow-Menendez amendment covered that cancer center. Mr. Pallone has long tried to win such treatment for the center, to help it compete with regional rivals.

The amendment also covers one more cancer center, in similar code: “designated on June 10, 2003, as the official cancer institute of its state.” That is the date the Nevada Legislature voted to assign that title to the Nevada Cancer Institute, which was then still under construction.

The substance of the amendment would exempt each of the centers from the Medicare “prospective payments” system, which compensates hospitals on the basis of diagnoses rather than treatments they actually provide. The exemptions would add to these centers’ income and the cost to taxpayers, although, in an apparent nod to the narrow scope of the amendment, the authors note that it would be unlikely to add much to that cost, because it “is unlikely to affect a large number of hospitals.”

Hospital officials pushing for the exemption argue that the prospective payments system is inadequate to cover the high costs of cancer treatment. They note that about 10 of the 40 comprehensive cancer centers already have exemptions, giving them a competitive advantage.

The Nevada Cancer Institute has spent about $115,000 on federal lobbying fees this year. Jennifer McDonnell, a spokeswoman there, said the institute could not have sought the exemption in any way other than Congressional action, because at present that is the only way for a hospital to attain it.

As for the majority leader, his spokesman, Jim Manley, said only, “Senator Reid has supported efforts in the past to help the Nevada Cancer Institute and will continue to do so in the future.”
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      See you are making a totally different argument. Controlling the cost of Health Care is a different beast and something we can all agree on. Why is it tort reform was not included in the Bill as passed? Why is it some States are given a free pass which is passed on to other States? Why are insurance companies who provide coverage to major Unions getting a tax break? The above measures have nothing to do with cutting my Health Care costs, what about yours?

Mark

BTW: Wasn't Expanded Medicare dropped from the final bill?
      Actually, your response to boytyperanma remarks about staying ahead of the growing percentage of people falling into the unisured pool jumped the tracks and you started talking about unemployment.

Cost control is absolutely vital to reforming health insurance. Costs are spiraling out of control and the rate we have experienced for the past ten years is unsustainable. We are quickly reaching the breaking point were employers and families are going to have to make so very tough decisions.

Yes, expanded Medicare was dropped from the bill. Joe Lieberman did a 180 on that matter and decided that he didn't want to support any single payer system despite his campaign promises.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
        Yes, there is another example of the previous administration not having any regard for the constitution or able to work within the constraints intentionally put in place. Bush tried and was rather successful in aggregating authority. Heck, when Cheney claimed he wasn't part of the executive branch there was not so much as a peep out of the republics. Imagine the exploding heads if Bidden were to say that. Since Cheney set the precedent and was not corrected, Bidden very well could claim that distinction for himself now too.

As for Obama's bipartisanship, his historic visit to the repub caucus was a bipartisan gesture. What was and has been the republic response since day one? Pretty much shut down, slow down, dig in and block anything the president tries to do. It takes two to be bipartisan and the republics refuse to engage.

As for transparency, what has not been transparent?

Unconditional meeting with Iran is just that, he will meet them without making concessions prior to the meeting. He won't give them oil, or food or trade agreements....

Obama's first year went a heck of a lot better than Bush's, and Bush had ample warning that the bad guys were out to get us on our home turf.
        I will have to assume you are being sarcastic in your retort as it has little to do with reality. I find it interesting you want to blame an attack during Bush's 8th month yet Obama is still passing the buck at 11-months. Do you really think it took Al Qaeda a mere 8-months to plan their attack? Do you think the fact that Clinton replaced the men on the ground with electronic intelligence had anything to do with it?

Saying Obama made an historic trip to visit with the Republicans in the early days of his Presidency has nothing to do with Bipartisanship. Reid hiding in his office to write the health care bill has zero to do with transparencies.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I need health care because I just had a HUGE bowl of....

wait...

hamburger helper.

mmm
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I find it interesting you want to blame an attack during Bush's 8th month yet Obama is still passing the buck at 11-months.
            On coming into office Bush did get memos such as the famous 'Osama Bin Ladin emanate threat to the US' They were also given detailed advice on how to combat al qaeda and chose to be dismiss it. They said Clinton was to obsessed with Islamic extremists and did little in there first 8 months.

In 4 or 8 years we may have access to memos from the Bush to the Obama administration concerning the financial fallout, maybe advise on how he should have combated it. Somehow I don't think we will find a plethora of information showing the Obama administration was given the tools to fight it but chose not to use them as we have with Bush's administration.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
              I agree I think I have some baileys left over from last night.

These things are pretty complicated we should elect some guys who's job it is to take care of these things.
              I don't know if it's dyslexia or a special "gift" but every time I see your name it reads bootyrama to me.

J.C.

Comment

Mark, you need a copy of this. It helps when you are waging a battle of wits against the unarmed
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

On coming into office Bush did get memos such as the famous 'Osama Bin Ladin emanate threat to the US' They were also given detailed advice on how to combat al qaeda and chose to be dismiss it. They said Clinton was to obsessed with Islamic extremists and did little in there first 8 months.

In 4 or 8 years we may have access to memos from the Bush to the Obama administration concerning the financial fallout, maybe advise on how he should have combated it. Somehow I don't think we will find a plethora of information showing the Obama administration was given the tools to fight it but chose not to use them as we have with Bush's administration.
                  Actually, Bush got the "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US" memo 5-weeks before 9/11 and there were already 70-field investigations ongoing, but how do you stop a plot which has been in the works for years. Bush also released the memo over 5-years ago so you won't have to wait any longer to read it. Trust me if the Obama Administration felt they had anything that could hurt Bush it would have already been released. They have already shown their desire to hurt the Bush Administration trumps the safety of our country and the men and women who serve us.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Mark, you need a copy of this. It helps when you are waging a battle of wits against the unarmed
                    I'm still trying to figure out the whole Beck, Dobbs, CNN and Fox thing. I don't know if Beck and Dobbs saw the ship starting to sink at CNN or if they were just looking for a place to speak their mind. Beck was the second most popular host at CNN before coming to Fox. Dobbs was helping to fill in the Beck gap at CNN before he started doing guest spots on Fox. I agree with much of Beck's message but I hate his presentation.

Mark

Comment

This times article goes into detail on the events and policies leading up to 9/11. It is a long read. based on that article it looks like the Bush administration ignored advice then dug their heals in and did nothing for months.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020812/story.html

I do not blame the Bush admin for 9/11, that is the fault of crazy extremists. If they could have stopped 9/11 will never be know either even if they exhausted every avenue the attacks could have happened. We do know they received recommendations and choose not to act on them. Their administration their call, we can wish they did otherwise no one knew before hand what the attack was going to be so it's impossible say it's Bush's fault.

They have already shown their desire to hurt the Bush Administration trumps the safety of our country and the men and women who serve us.
                      The same could be said about the Republican party vs the Obama administration. Do we want to go me to go into detail of how the Republican party is currently trying to capitalize on the recent terrorist attempt?

When it comes to matters of national security frankly the Democratic party has a much better record.

The Republican parties blatant hypocrisy when it comes to attacks against the Obama administration does drive me to want to defend him. Personally I think he won the election and as the president deserves some time and respect to work to better our country instead he has been under constant attack with lies and misinformation since he's been in office. Did we really need months of mainstream conservative attacks on his birth record?

There are many good attacks to be made against the Obama administration. His record when it comes to campaign promises is looking pretty bad. He hasn't broken more then then previous presidents have in the same time frame but many of his promises take time to implement if he doesn't introduce them soon their is no way he can keep them before the next election.

The level of secrecy in his administration is sickening. It can be argued the secrecy is to help alleviate the constant assault on his office, more transparency will only allow his opponents to further nitpick him. My response is if he can't stand his ground he shouldn't have taken the job or promised transparency.

As it stands so far I do not want to vote for Obama but I likely will because the road the Republican party is going they'll likely back someone so crazy they wouldn't be qualified to run a McDonalds.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I hope your not claiming anyone posting in this thread is unarmed in a battle of wits. I think there may be one but that person has yet to add anything of value, so we don't have enough info facts to determine that.

I could go Glenn Becks route and make some up.

Comment

I will have to assume you are being sarcastic in your retort as it has little to do with reality. I find it interesting you want to blame an attack during Bush's 8th month yet Obama is still passing the buck at 11-months. Do you really think it took Al Qaeda a mere 8-months to plan their attack? Do you think the fact that Clinton replaced the men on the ground with electronic intelligence had anything to do with it?

Saying Obama made an historic trip to visit with the Republicans in the early days of his Presidency has nothing to do with Bipartisanship. Reid hiding in his office to write the health care bill has zero to do with transparencies.

Mark
                          I was not being sarcastic. He cared as much about Al Qaeda as he did about New Orleans. In both cases he knew disaster was imminent. Heck, he sat there in Crawford while the Army Corp told him the levies would fail, not just be breached. Yet he went on TV and once again lied to us when he said no one could have predicted the levies would be breached. And rather than go back to DC and at least look like he was in charge, he went to Arizona to give McCain a birthday cake and then do some campaign fund raisers. He flew over NO on his way back to DC. But it was obvious the man lacked empathy. And certainly is not a leader.

Bush sat in a grade school class room for seven minutes after being told the country was under attack. The country is under attack! That scene is all the evidence you need to measure the character of the man.

It's pretty clear that Bush like his vacations. A third of his time in office was spent on vacation. The outrage over Obama taking a night off in New York City, or flying over to Copenhagen to make a pitch for the Olympics is very telling. A double standard at the least.

Who sent our men and women into a needless war with out all the tools they needed? And then who had the nerve to make a joke film of himself looking for WMD in the oval office a year later?

In your opinion Obama visiting the republics caucus had nothing to do with bipartisanship, but my opinion is that he was trying to get off to a good start with the minority/opposition party. What acts of good faith have the republics committed since Obama came into office?

What buck is Obama passing in regards to national security?

"They have already shown their desire to hurt the Bush Administration trumps the safety of our country and the men and women who serve us."

No matter how many times you republics say this, it doesn't actually become true. Please, show how Obama has failed to protect our troops. If it is true as you claim it to be you should have little difficulty producing evidence.

You accuse Obama of not being transparent and offer Reid hiding in his office as evidence. Do you know why Reid drafted the bill in secret? Look it up. He made a statement about it.

Citing Glenn Beck as the voice of reason is amusing and alarming, all in one. I wonder what the righties would say if Oberman play acted poisoning John Bhoener? The pen is mightier than the sword, but Beck manages to prove that this is not always the case. He appeals to our lesser angels.

So, I'm still waiting to hear what the teabaggers meant when they said "Tea Bag the liberal dems before they tea bag you". Aside the original meaning of the phrase, what does it mean now?

Funny how you guys refuse to answer a simple question like that. Or the question of what you would say if Joe Bidden claimed he wasn't part of the executive branch. Or what if Obama or Bidden revealed the identity of a undercover CIA agent that had a long running nuclear weapons intelligence gathering infrastructure in the middle east. Is that how we keep our country safe?

The Reich Wing is the single greatest assembly of hypocrites the world has ever seen.

You guys whine about Obama, but when you look at the crap storm he inherited from Bush/Cheney, he's more than had his work cut out for himself. And when you throw in the cry baby republics in the congress that refuse to meet anyone half way, things are going to move slowly. They've taken obstructionism to a whole new level. And when the dems become the minority party they will have the play book written by these repubs to fall back on. Two can play at that game.

The republics are vile, vicious, nasty little reptiles that can not stand anything or anyone that doesn't march in lock step with their ideology. They thought child labor was good, that women shouldn't vote and that black people should sit in the back of the bus. You guys have been on the wrong side of history too many times.

Comment

I hope your not claiming anyone posting in this thread is unarmed in a battle of wits. I think there may be one but that person has yet to add anything of value, so we don't have enough info facts to determine that.

I could go Glenn Becks route and make some up.
                            Beck never let a fact get in his way. Crazy attracts crazy.

Indeed, it is much easier to snipe in with some faux humor than provide any facts, or one half of the story. You can tell were a few of them get their info.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                              I was not being sarcastic. He cared as much about Al Qaeda as he did about New Orleans. In both cases he knew disaster was imminent. Heck, he sat there in Crawford while the Army Corp told him the levies would fail, not just be breached. Yet he went on TV and once again lied to us when he said no one could have predicted the levies would be breached. And rather than go back to DC and at least look like he was in charge, he went to Arizona to give McCain a birthday cake and then do some campaign fund raisers. He flew over NO on his way back to DC. But it was obvious the man lacked empathy. And certainly is not a leader.

Bush sat in a grade school class room for seven minutes after being told the country was under attack. The country is under attack! That scene is all the evidence you need to measure the character of the man.

It's pretty clear that Bush like his vacations. A third of his time in office was spent on vacation. The outrage over Obama taking a night off in New York City, or flying over to Copenhagen to make a pitch for the Olympics is very telling. A double standard at the least.

Who sent our men and women into a needless war with out all the tools they needed? And then who had the nerve to make a joke film of himself looking for WMD in the oval office a year later?

In your opinion Obama visiting the republics caucus had nothing to do with bipartisanship, but my opinion is that he was trying to get off to a good start with the minority/opposition party. What acts of good faith have the republics committed since Obama came into office?

What buck is Obama passing in regards to national security?

"They have already shown their desire to hurt the Bush Administration trumps the safety of our country and the men and women who serve us."

No matter how many times you republics say this, it doesn't actually become true. Please, show how Obama has failed to protect our troops. If it is true as you claim it to be you should have little difficulty producing evidence.

You accuse Obama of not being transparent and offer Reid hiding in his office as evidence. Do you know why Reid drafted the bill in secret? Look it up. He made a statement about it.

Citing Glenn Beck as the voice of reason is amusing and alarming, all in one. I wonder what the righties would say if Oberman play acted poisoning John Bhoener? The pen is mightier than the sword, but Beck manages to prove that this is not always the case. He appeals to our lesser angels.

So, I'm still waiting to hear what the teabaggers meant when they said "Tea Bag the liberal dems before they tea bag you". Aside the original meaning of the phrase, what does it mean now?

Funny how you guys refuse to answer a simple question like that. Or the question of what you would say if Joe Bidden claimed he wasn't part of the executive branch. Or what if Obama or Bidden revealed the identity of a undercover CIA agent that had a long running nuclear weapons intelligence gathering infrastructure in the middle east. Is that how we keep our country safe?

The Reich Wing is the single greatest assembly of hypocrites the world has ever seen.

You guys whine about Obama, but when you look at the crap storm he inherited from Bush/Cheney, he's more than had his work cut out for himself. And when you throw in the cry baby republics in the congress that refuse to meet anyone half way, things are going to move slowly. They've taken obstructionism to a whole new level. And when the dems become the minority party they will have the play book written by these repubs to fall back on. Two can play at that game.

The republics are .
                              Obama is good at making speeches and that is it. However, that is what you get when we elected a Junior Senator with zero executive experience. To suggest the Dems have a better record on National Security is laughable. All you have to do is read the 13-page report Clinton left to the Bush Administration related to al Qaeda. It list attack after attack against the US which all went unanswered. As for Reid hiding in his office to draft a Bill so he would not be attacked, what kind of an excuse is that in Politics? You act like the Left did not attack the Right for the years previously. To attack the entire Republican Party as "vile, vicious, nasty little reptiles that can not stand anything or anyone that doesn't march in lock step with their ideology. They thought child labor was good, that women shouldn't vote and that black people should sit in the back of the bus. You guys have been on the wrong side of history too many times" is moronic at best. I find only those who do not believe in or have a weak argument resort to such.

Mark

Comment

I believe they get 99% of their facts from MSNBC and the Huffington Post.

I have wanted to jump in here a couple of times but realize that it would be a waste of time. Sometimes it's better to just let things go.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X