X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read - The War Against SPAM

Well Folks... as some of you have noticed I havent been on the forum as much as I used to . Between school, launching cool new products at breakneck speed, and completely remodeling/waterproofing/tiling/plumbing/etc my basement I have been a wee bit busy.

anyways... I have to publicly thank Mark (ToUtahNow) for all the spam smashing he has done. The little bit of banning and pruning I have done has been annoying for me as well.

So.. i just spent about 1 hr building walls around the forum and making sure spammers have a tough time getting in. The forum should be a bit cleaner moving forward and we may even go days at a time without one spam post (fingers crossed).

ALSO... some of you may notice that your cookie that automatically logged you into the forum isnt being stored on your machine anymore. Just log in again and make the the "remember me" box is checked and you should be good to go again.

I will be back on the forums more now that my project is coming to an end. I miss being on here and want to get reengaged again.

if any of you need help getting back into the forum send me an email or PM and Ill reset your password.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Josh

Re: Please Read - The War Against SPAM

We are going to need pics of the basement once it is finished you know. Now that your wife saw how handy you are, you will never rest again.

I think you are doing a great job of keeping the spammers at bay (and Mark also), I only catch a few every now and then.

G3

Comment

Yeah that last spammer was quick.

I was thinking why not have a "report as spammer" button in everyones user profile. If the user is reported as a spammer by more then 5ish other users(with over 100ish post under their belt) in a 24ish hr period they are banned pending a moderators review and their thread/post disappear pending review.

You guys do a good job policing the forum but you can't always be here.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

But where will I find a good deal on shoes?

Comment

Thanks to Josh and Mark for a good job on the forum
          but i also thank all the members for keeping this forum clean and helping each other with there needs
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In the upper right corner is a red triangle with an exclamation point in it and if you hover your mouse over it the description is "Report Post".

Now I don't know if Josh wants us to use this or not or who 'sees' the message about reported posts but I have used that in the past to alert Josh (maybe Mark gets cc'd on those too, I don't know), and it seems to work as usually I never see anything from the spammer again on here.

So before you all go using this method maybe Josh could let us know if that is the correct way to go about it. When you do click on the Report Post button, you get a text box where you can enter comments.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

WTH?!?!

First a war on SPAM. Then Ham. Then Bacon. Where does it end?

Why must you all try to make me eat right?

J.C.

Comment

ham or spam is not kosher. bacon on the other hand is good eats.
                the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  In the upper right corner is a red triangle with an exclamation point in it and if you hover your mouse over it the description is "Report Post".

This is what I have been doing.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    WTH?!?!

First a war on SPAM. Then Ham. Then Bacon. Where does it end?

Why must you all try to make me eat right?

J.C.
                    Just reading those words, "Spam, Ham and Bacon" make me hungry! Tomorrow morning it's gonna be Spam or corned beef hash and eggs. Better take some extra blood pressure meds.

Comment

Reporting the post works great. Please do use the icon in the upper left of a post. It comes direct to my email.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Now I don't know if Josh wants us to use this or not or who 'sees' the message about reported posts but I have used that in the past to alert Josh (maybe Mark gets cc'd on those too, I don't know), and it seems to work as usually I never see anything from the spammer again on here.

So before you all go using this method maybe Josh could let us know if that is the correct way to go about it. When you do click on the Report Post button, you get a text box where you can enter comments.

Comment

Josh's war against spam...........

......ers

Comment

Thanks for the upgrades Josh. The Spam I had this morning and last night were just people posting with links in their sig line which I have had a lot of lately. What I have noticed though is the links are not active which I assume a filter must be doing.

To everyone else, the report this post does not come to me so a PM works as well.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Well Folks... as some of you have noticed I havent been on the forum as much as I used to . Between school, launching cool new products at breakneck speed, and completely remodeling/waterproofing/tiling/plumbing/etc my basement I have been a wee bit busy.

anyways... I have to publicly thank Mark (ToUtahNow) for all the spam smashing he has done. The little bit of banning and pruning I have done has been annoying for me as well.

So.. i just spent about 1 hr building walls around the forum and making sure spammers have a tough time getting in. The forum should be a bit cleaner moving forward and we may even go days at a time without one spam post (fingers crossed).

ALSO... some of you may notice that your cookie that automatically logged you into the forum isnt being stored on your machine anymore. Just log in again and make the the "remember me" box is checked and you should be good to go again.

I will be back on the forums more now that my project is coming to an end. I miss being on here and want to get reengaged again.

if any of you need help getting back into the forum send me an email or PM and Ill reset your password.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Josh
                            Josh, thanks for the update. And, all the hard work that yourself, Mark, Wyatt, et al, do on this forum is awesome. It's fun to be a part of. HOWEVER........

You do realize that you've done an' gone dun' it now, right?!!?!!! You've just thrown down the gauntlet, my friend! Spammers are going to see this as a challenge, as a way for them to test their "mad skillz", as some sort of bragging rights if they still get by/in. "Get ready to feel the onslaught!" some may say.

Hey, kudos either way. Just don't mind me as I hide cowering in the corner while you and Mark man the doors. Good hunting to ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Thanks for the upgrades Josh. The Spam I had this morning and last night were just people posting with links in their sig line which I have had a lot of lately. What I have noticed though is the links are not active which I assume a filter must be doing.

To everyone else, the report this post does not come to me so a PM works as well.

Mark
                              Maybe Josh could set it up to cc you on the post reports.

This could be done by having the reports sent to a email other than Josh's and then forwarding to both of you. That way you would not get anything that was meant only for Josh.

Josh, you meant to say upper RIGHT corner correct??
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X