• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future-What will disappear?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Ahh Yes,
    Our trusty old drum machine.
    OH! Adam, you've gone over to the dark side.
    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      This one's gonna' hurt-and maybe cause an argument.

The residential tank water heater.

J.C.
      Mine was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Mine was a joke
        Mine wasn't.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Phone lines will go through the internet.
          Right now most internet it carried over telephone cables. If satellite technology advances enough maybe that will change, but land lines underground and on poles will always serve as a rock solid backup. The "plant" or superstructure of telephone conduit and poles is massive. Over twenty years ago, we had a big meeting of telephone splicers and linemen. The speaker was our new top management boss and he proceded to say that we would have all of The Bronx covered by fiber optic cables within three or four years. I raised my had and without trying to be scarcastic or rude, told him that it took more than five years just to rewire one large housing complex! People don't understand the magnitude of switching to a new technology. Imagine either a new electrical cable or water pipe so advanced in what it could do for mankind that all existing wiring, feeder and home, all water piping both in the streets and in the homes would be converted? That is the scope of changing technology such as telephone. Personally, like many folks I would like to give up my landline but it carries my internet.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Mine wasn't.

J.C.
            Oh I know partner.
            Honestly,they are working their little tails off with new contraptions to get water hot.
            Looking at it the hot water tank technology has been unchanged for how long?
            in the past five years their has been leaps and bounds in tech attempts to break in something new/better.

Comment

Originally posted by choyboy View Post
              Wood burning fireplaces, banned in new residential developement in Vancouver for several years already.
              What is the logic behind that?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                What is the logic behind that?
                Pollution.
                Last edited by SpiffPeters; 12-31-2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  We will lose some of the wonder and magic and nature of life we have at the present. No stopping progress.
                  I'm sure this was the sentiment at the beginning of the industrial age. Or in Galileo's time, or Newton's time. Progress removes the mystery of nature to some extent, but the natural world is beyond anything you or I will ever live long enough to fully appreciate or understand. I have doubts that the human mind has this capacity. But then isn't that part of the magic anyway?

Comment

35mm camera film. I think Nikon has stopped making film cameras.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Old school plumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        35mm camera film. I think Nikon has stopped making film cameras.
                        Kodak has done the same. But they will continue to produce film for a while longer. Such a trend worries professional and amuteur image editing companies, since film images provide the best details, and working such images is an artform.

Think of it as taking away Michelangelo's paintbrush away from him and instead hand over the lastest edition of Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                          Kodak has done the same. But they will continue to produce film for a while longer. Such a trend worries professional and amuteur image editing companies, since film images provide the best details, and working such images is an artform.

Think of it as taking away Michelangelo's paintbrush away from him and instead hand over the lastest edition of Photoshop.
                          I respectfully disagree on this. The increase in MegaPixels have gotten it to the point that the only people that would even possibly notice lesser details would be professional photographers & editors. I saw one article where they blew up 4 same pictures to about 24"x16" (est.) that were shot from 3MP and up. Noone was able to distinguish any flaws between them. And that's if there ARE lesser details. Plus, photographers have manipulated traditional film images forever also.

And at one time, in my opinion, one could definitely consider photography an art form. People having large format cameras or limited time & film getting great shots could be considered artists I suppose.

Not anymore. I just recently watched a program on a photographer for National Geographic. Good guy that obviously is going to provide great pictures for a magazine such as this. My beef with it as art though is they showed him going on a shoot and taking something like 5,000+ shots for an article that may use 10 pictures. Just by the statistical odds alone, he would end up with 10 useable pictures. Probably any one in the world could do that after using the equipment a month.

And all "professional" photographers in the field seem to do this. To me, if they want it to be considered an art, they should go to a shoot with 100 shots or less. Can't get it in that then percentage wise they are not someone with the "artists eye".

Either way, I think Gear Junkie is right. Film is dead.

J.C.

Comment

Well, for the number of shots taken comment, I would have to then bring up the factor on such an artists' skills. In this particular instance, an artist with greater skill can take fewer shots than another artist that has to take more in order to produce the same results.

Comment

Meter Readers.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                                Well, for the number of shots taken comment, I would have to then bring up the factor on such an artists' skills. In this particular instance, an artist with greater skill can take fewer shots than another artist that has to take more in order to produce the same results.
                                I agree. I just have never seen any "professional" photographer attempt that didn't take a monster amount of shots. You and I could probably get enough to be published with the same volume.

And honestly, I don't go watching a ton of programs about this. But I did see this one and some swimsuit shoots.

Always-Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X