X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cablevision losing channels

There is a loop message running on the food network and HGTV channels on my cablevision broadcast. Seems the folks that distribute the shows and cablevision are at odds, so the viewers lose two more channels.

Re: Cablevision losing channels

FOX and Time-Warner (and a couple other cable companies) have contracts that run out today. FOX, who has been giving these channels free, now wants $1 per subscriber per month (ridiculous amount). Time warner who makes a profit off the shows, wants them for continue for free (ridiculous concept in a capitalistic world). Neither wants to give at all, so the viewers lose.

There is also a move afoot to eliminate free over-the air broadcasting. Next it will be the internet.

Glad I am getting old. Between Greed and Government, it looks like this will be one miserable world to live in about 30 yrs from now. "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451" are coming true, just taking longer than the authors thought.

JMTCW

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I saw the CV notice on some of my HGTV recordings today.

I think the whole business model needs to change.

I end up paying $142 for cable, Internet, and Phone. The rough breakdown is $45 internet, $20 phone, and the remaining is family cable and a set top box so I can actually watch the channels.

The cable companies should provide a fast internet pipe, which they are actually very good at; and subscribers should be able to purchase channels ala carte from the provider without the cable company middle man. If you don't like the cable company, buy your internet pipe from the phone company.

There is no real reason I would want to pay for FOOD network, even if it is only $0.25 part of my bill. I also would prefer not to pay for ESPN, Fox Sports, or CNN. I would on the other hand spend money on Fox News and HGTV.

Individual channels would end up more expensive, but you would only pay for what you use.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        I saw the CV notice on some of my HGTV recordings today.

I end up paying $142 for cable, Internet, and Phone. The rough breakdown is $45 internet, $20 phone, and the remaining is family cable and a set top box so I can actually watch the channels.

The cable companies should provide a fast internet pipe, which they are actually very good at; and subscribers should be able to purchase channels ala carte from the provider without the cable company middle man. If you don't like the cable company, buy your internet pipe from the phone company.

There is no real reason I would want to pay for FOOD network, even if it is only $0.25 part of my bill. I also would prefer not to pay for ESPN, Fox Sports, or CNN. I would on the other hand spend money on Fox News and HGTV.

Individual channels would end up more expensive, but you would only pay for what you use.
        Couldn't agree more. I've heard that some are headed to being a "dead pipe" and this could happen.

J.C.

Comment

Recent deal.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ignals-on.html

By the way, I'm watching the Florida-Cincinatti game right now on rabbit ears.

Perfectly clear.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

I told my AT&T U-Verse sales rep I don't like any of their professionally put together packages. I want to pay only for the channels I view and no others. And then again, only the High Definition Feeds, My two displays in the house are both High Def.

NO GO! So I went with internet subscription only. Damn fast one at that!

So right now (not counting free over the air) all I ever view is what Netflix delivers to my door, or they allow me to stream. $20 a month always have 3 movies at home and unlimited streaming. Now if they would just expand their streaming library just a little bit more...

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              There is a loop message running on the food network and HGTV channels on my cablevision broadcast. Seems the folks that distribute the shows and cablevision are at odds, so the viewers lose two more channels.
              Forget about it and go get a piece of that leftover pumpkin pie in the fridge, Frankie. Wash it down with some dandy spiked eggnog(you know, that rum will go bad if you leave it, just like the nog, so clean 'em up).

What the hell are all those Christmas chocolates still doing on the coffee table? You waiting for Easter??

Close your eyes and forget about anything till Monday.

Cable schmable.
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
                So right now (not counting free over the air) all I ever view is what Netflix delivers to my door, or they allow me to stream. $20 a month always have 3 movies at home and unlimited streaming. Now if they would just expand their streaming library just a little bit more...
                I too wish the streaming library would get larger. Though, they just started sending/receiving movies on Saturday's here which does increase the value quite a bit I think.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Recent deal.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...ignals-on.html

By the way, I'm watching the Florida-Cincinatti game right now on rabbit ears.

Perfectly clear.

J.C.
                  That would not be possible for me, since there is no station within 25 miles. There is one in Delaware about 35 miles West, and the next nearest are in Philly about 50 miles North. After that it is Baltimore (90 miles) then NYC which is about 145 miles as the crow flies.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X