Clear All

• Fear Sells

H1N1 Story. If interested.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6020XU20100103

J.C.

Re: Fear Sells

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Fear sells, sure does.

Remember a few years ago. The duct tape, plastic and stock up on water scare perpetrated by our government.

I had more of a fear dying of suffocation in an enclosed room stocked with bottled water.

I'm still waiting on the Avain flu that was supposed to wipe us out in 05.

Comment

I have heard that and many do say its true, Then again they say sex sells too.

Comment

And a similar happening in Vince's world.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/...e-surplus.html

J.C.

Comment

The CDC is in a no win situation. If they drive the point home about a particular infectious disease, they get accused of being Chicken Little. If they don't warn the population and something happens, then they are hoisted up as a failure that needs to be axed.

Unlike other strains of the flu, Avian and the H1N1 have the potential to be unusually dangerous. Raising awareness (washing hands, covering your cough) is the proven to be the single most effective means of prevention. Second is self imposed quarantine. If you are sick, stay home so that it doesn't spread it around the office.

I agree that at times it seems like nagging and fear mongering, but I think we can all identify individuals in our lives that are just the very persons that would be a primary vector without all the squawking.

Comment

I think it's a matter of being cautious not scared. I have all my windows covered with plastic and aluminum foil to keep out harmful rays of the sun along with disease. No contact with other humans, too risky. Food is delivered and left outside to be gathered up at night. Don't trust the city water or bottled water so I purify my own urine. Just being safe.

Comment

Who is They? And what are trying to sell us?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                Who is They? And what are trying to sell us?
                Not sure if I understand exactly. But at the same time, I think the title of the thread is probably wrong.

I associated some of the H1N1 news with fear more than facts from the statistics I've seen for fatality rates and the "normal" effects it has on the majority. So for whatever reason I put "FEAR" in the title.

Probably wrong and should just be named "H1N1 Vaccine Sale".

But one could make the stand that alot of the vaccine was sold based on some of the fear & possible hysteria related to horrible, but rare, flu stories.

Add that to the fact that time after time the news would alarmingly report that there would be a shortage. Night after night. A shortage.

Now, countries & towns appear to want to sell what they have, some have a low percentage vaccinated, and have low fatality rates for those that were infected.

So fear did seem to be associated and selling is what's being done.

Just interesting to me.

Comment

The H1N1 caused around forty fatalities in in Oregon this past fall. Most were young people.

From what I have read, and is never reported in the mainstream, the current strain of the H1N1, while nasty, is not the biggest concern. They are concerned about what happens if this strain mutates.

Comment

Working...
                  X