X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Winter Coat

I've worn Carhartt outer coats and overalls for years and even now that I'm retired. Recently I purchased their Extreme Arctic quilted coat made of a material called 1000 denier, not the normal carhartt cotton duck. The coat is great, lightweight but very warm and that material is tough as nails. I like the idea that it's wind and waterproof, since I'm outside using my snowblower during the storms. Anyone else have a favorite?

Re: Best Winter Coat

I use a Carhartt copy over top of 2 or 3 shirts.

I've been checking the new "battery heated" jackets. With rechargeable batteries getting smaller & better all the time, I think this might be the future in the winter jacket world.

You can Google them. Prices from about $250.00 and up.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I use a Carhartt copy over top of 2 or 3 shirts.

I've been checking the new "battery heated" jackets. With rechargeable batteries getting smaller & better all the time, I think this might be the future in the winter jacket world.

You can Google them. Prices from about $250.00 and up.

J.C.
      My neighbor bought a pair of battery heated gloves but said he was disappointed. The technology neede to effectively heat gloves or a jacket is probably not qutie there yet, even though I agree the batteries are getting better. I would also be concerned with how well the heating element would hold up to the wear and tear of repeated movements such as in construction. That new jacket I spoke of is really very good. Water rolls right off. I've been appling a water repellant to my other Carhartt jacket, but it requires regular applications.

Comment

The one I wear is labeled "Duck Head". Looks just like a Carhartt. In todays world, who knows. They might be made in the same place.

Pretty warm though with a tough canvas-like shell. I like that one you have posted too. (Googled it ).

J.C.

Comment

Wool sweater and a p coat = toasty warm

These heated gloves last longer, but $250 a pair

http://www.popsci.com/berne-broudy/a...9/handy-heater
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Past few years I've been wearing freebies from Goulds Pumps. They appear to be of similar make to Carhartt. If I had to spend money I'd likely go with Carhartt.

I have a collection of overalls given out as freebies from pump suppliers over the years. I tend to remove the logos especially on brands I don't even use anymore.

Comment

I start with long underwear, then a shirt, then a sweatshirt, then a wool vest, then sheepskin lined coat. And if it gets below 50 degrees I really start to add on the layers.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I've got a lined Carhart jacket. I use their bibs over my jeans when I'm in the field. If it gets too cold I wear insulated bibs.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I got introduced to Carhartt about 6 years ago and have used nothing since then. However, the battery powered heated jacket sounds interesting - I had no idea, although it seems like a no brainer someone would invent this (*thanks JCsPlumbing for mentioning them, I'm going to research that right now!).
                  quality crafted display cases

Comment

Bought something called a Wax Coat when I was in Edinburg, Scotland

Not much in the way of style but kept me dry and warm in 60 mph wind/rain storm

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Bought something called a Wax Coat when I was in Edinburg, Scotland

Not much in the way of style but kept me dry and warm in 60 mph wind/rain storm
                      I've seen them advertised as Austrailian ranch coats, they were three quarter length. The Carhartt coat I spoke of works much the same way only the material is very tough and lightweight. Can the wax coat be cleaned? Might get one for milder temperatures.
                      http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...Processed=true
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X