Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Forget Healthcare Reform!!! ~ Apple Juice Has Been Outsourced! ?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forget Healthcare Reform!!! ~ Apple Juice Has Been Outsourced! ?????

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
    So......does anyone else have this kind of Apple Juice in their area?

I think you fella's lost focus here
    Apple juice? When were we talking about apple juice?
    Yeah, same here and you have to check both jared and canned fruits and vegs at your supermarket for the same thing.

Comment

I haven't looked to see where our choices of apple juices come from. I know a lot of our fruits and vegetables that we (my wife and I) buy out of season come from Mexico or Central America.

It is scary that our food supply is dependent on other nations.

Given the way big corporations have had a field day in the past thirty or forty years, I think mistrust of multinational corporations or big national corporations is a natural and reasonable result. Some ascribe to the notion that a rising tide raises all boats (trickle down economics), but it doesn't raise all boats equally. Hence the ever expanding disparity between the wealthy and the rest of the nation. Leave more money in a rich mans pockets and he will make more money for the government.

So while millions of dollars of personal wealth are generated for an individual through tax cuts and government contracts (called privatization now, but previously called fascism), the government gets a slice of the action and disperses that fraction to the rest of the nation in services. By the time the money is converted into services for the masses, it is so diluted that it does little if anything to raise each individual dingy in the harbor.

The concentration of wealth in this nation is not a good thing. And letting big corporations make the ground rules is a bit like letting the fox guard the hen house. We've seen this movie before and it just does not have a happy ending.

It is the cozy relationship between big business and governments that allows the apple juice sitting in our refrigerators to originate from a communist country on the other side of the world.

Free trade sounded like good idea at the time. Little did we realize that it had no relationship to fair trade. Pity. We were duped.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Apple juice? When were we talking about apple juice?
        Yeah, same here and you have to check both jared and canned fruits and vegs at your supermarket for the same thing.

LOL - How are ya Frank

I know, Its getting crazy everywhere,

Can't we all just start gardens this year?

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
          LOL - How are ya Frank

I know, Its getting crazy everywhere,

Can't we all just start gardens this year?
          I remember when fruit was seasonable, you got watermelons in the Summer that's it! Now we are spoiled and pay $5.00 for a melon the size of a softball. Farmers growing fields of corn for biofuel doesn't help much. I was lazy last year about doing a garden, if I'm still here in the Spring I'll do a small one, dozen tomato ,cucumber and a few others. Weather didn't cooperate much last year, all sorts of tomato blight too. We also have the ever present deer (four legged kind).

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Farmers growing fields of corn for biofuel doesn't help much. ).
            I would like an explanation of that statement if you could.
            How does growning corn or making bio fuel have to do with any thing that has been discussed so far on this thread?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              I would like an explanation of that statement if you could.
              How does growning corn or making bio fuel have to do with any thing that has been discussed so far on this thread?
              No problem. I mentioned the growing of corn specific for use as biofuel because it interrupted the availability of corn for human consumption and for use as corn oil for cooking . I've still been able to get locally grown sweet corn but the price of corn oil went sky high. I'm not placing all the blame on farmers because if they made a better profit growing "food"availabilty and prices to the consumer would improve. I would prefer farmers grow food crops, increase production of cattle and pork and lamb. Why do we have to get lamb from Austrailia? I want to eat, and I don't want my food coming from china. Let our farmers feed America!

Comment

Your reasoning is some what like saying mechanics should not be allowed to work on trucks as last time I took my car into the dealer ship it cost me more to have the repairs done.

first I will quote some things from the corn growers site,

note: some of the examples are slightly dated as the paper is 2007 and 2008 but the current price of corn in our area as of Friday was, $3.74 for 56 pounds using that price the average farmer is making may be $45 to 47 an acre, after expenses, if he made the average and his expenses were average, to grow a acer of dry land corn in our area it cost $170 per acer of inputs, and $650 per acer of inputs on irrigated ground, that was the information our local cooperative grain elevator sent out on 1,8,2010

http://ncga.com/files/pdf/FoodandFuelPaper10-08.pdf

Humans typically do not eat the corn used to make ethanol.

Ethanol is made from field corn, a grain
                that humans typically do not eat in its raw
                form. It usually goes through some form of
                processing first. The corn that humans eat as
                a vegetable is sweet corn. Some 99 percent
                of all corn acres in the U.S. are used to grow
                field corn.

Just 1.3 percent of the 2007/08 corn crop
                was used for cereals, while other human
                food uses accounted for roughly 8 percent
                of total corn use. The overwhelming
                majority of U.S. corn—including exports—is
                used to feed livestock, not humans. And
                when corn is used to feed livestock, it’s
                helping add to the volume of animal protein
                in the world’s food supply to meet growing
                demand.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ethanol production creates food and feed, too.

When raw field corn goes into an ethanol
                plant, it’s not just ethanol that comes out. In
                addition to nearly three gallons of ethanol,
                every 56-pound bushel of corn used in the
                dry grind ethanol process yields 18 pounds of
                distillers grains—a good source of energy and
                protein for livestock and poultry. A bushel of
                corn in the wet mill ethanol process produces
                2.6 gallons of ethanol plus 13.5 pounds of
                corn gluten feed and 2.6 pounds of highprotein
                corn gluten meal for livestock—as
                well as corn oil used in food processing for
                human food products.

In other words, ethanol biorefineries actually
                produce fuel for our cars, feed for our
                livestock and food for humans—all from one
                kernel of raw field corn.

The ethanol process removes only starch
                from the feed and food market—not fat or
                protein. The starch portion of the kernel is
                converted to ethanol. The protein, fat and
                other nutrients, vitamins and minerals are
                used to produce feed products—adding to
                the volume and quality of our feed and food
                supply. Starch is abundantly available in the
                feed market and is lower in value. Protein, on
                the other hand, is highly valued—and is left
                intact by the ethanol process. Additionally,
                a considerable portion of the corn’s original
                digestible energy is preserved in the distillers
                grains.

In 2007/08, about 15 million metric tons of
                distillers grains were produced by ethanol
                plants and fed to livestock and poultry.
                Distillers grains displaced an estimated 720
                million bushels of corn from feed rations last
                year, allowing that corn to be used in other
                markets.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Corn prices have not kept up with inflation.

While corn prices have ramped up
                significantly over the past year, they are still
                lagging behind inflation in terms of real
                dollars. According to a report from Barclays
                Capital, even at its “record” levels in June
                2008, corn price was still 42 percent below
                its inflation-adjusted peak in October 1974.
                If corn had followed the same rate of price
                increases we’ve seen in oil, corn would be
                selling at $13.50 per bushel today.
                Corn prices have been historically low in the
                past decade—making recent prices seem
                disproportionately higher. ...

It’s important to recall that one of the reasons
                the ethanol industry was created was to
                add value to America’s agricultural output—
                creating economic vitality in rural areas and
                reducing federal ag subsidies. According to
                USDA, corn farmers received a 76 percent
                reduction in government support payments
                in 2007 as a result of higher corn prices.

here is a power point in pdf form that gives some of the basic facts,
                http://ncga.com/files/pdf/FoodVersus...teOver4-09.pdf
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

IN many instances the price of the Grain has little correlation to the retail price of many products,

the price of many products, the packaging cost as much or more than the grain the is in the package.

one pound of corn (what I would get out of a pound of corn sold to my local cooperative elevator), is $06.6 cents. how much does a one pound box of corn flakes cost?

http://www.amazon.com/Kelloggs-Corn-...3157820&sr=1-8
                  in the 6 boxes of corn flakes above, there are 6.75 pounds of corn for $39.99, my cut of that product if I would have sold the corn would be a whopping, $0.45. cents of that cost.

lets do a one pound loaf of bread, wheat at my local elevator is, $4.45 as of Friday,
                  my wife says a one pound loaf in the store runs between $2.50 to $3.40, but so one can compare I will use a one pound box of crackers, http://www.amazon.com/Nabisco-Premiu...158410&sr=1-24 the page said $3.55 for the 16 oz, $4.45 divide by 60 (pounds per bushel), so that one pound box or loaf of Bread has about $0.07 cents of wheat in it,

no doubt last year you heard on how the price the "Farmers" were charing for there grains was driving up the cost of products, (Farmers do not control the price they get from there grains, the commodities board of trade does, "SPECULATORS" CONTROL THE COST OF GRAINS NOT FARMERS, after all the price hikes on products, did you hear on how the price of grains have dropped back to historical levels? did you see any of the prices in the store drop? (AND YOU MOST LIKELY WILL NOT).
                  and the next time there is a spike in grain prices you will hear how the evil farmer has squeezed the consumer because of his greed, and how the poor cereal manufacture and baker has to raise there prices again.
                  I am going to post some pictures of historical charts, of wheat and corn, look at the prices,

link to charts http://www.sharelynx.com/chartstemp/historical.php#US

as one can see the price of grains has been nearly flat for 35+ years,

Ethanol has little if any to do with the price of the corn oil you bought in the store,
                  as the farmer is has not had any price increase, besides a few spikes far and few in the last 35 years, I am fairly sure it is not the farmers fault the prices in the grocery store have gone up,

and most likely the only reason the price is currently where it is do to the drop in the dollar on the world market.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BHD; 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

as far as the sheep market goes I do not have enough information to answer you, but my guess would be dumping of product by Australia and New Zealand, and our own trade policies,

Dumping is where the Government of country subsides the sales or the farmer to sell at a lower price to sell off the surplus of production, our government has done this for years in the grains, they would normally call it food aid or farm subsides (for the general population), they pay for X amount, and the buyer would get XX wheat or corn. many times this was what much of the subsidies in the farm bill were for, the money did not go to the farmer but some foreign government or company. (I am not currently aware if going on in the USA now with our export sales), since the WTO agreements.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumping_(pricing_policy)

but there are still the cheap food policies of past still being done to day,
                    the federal goverment has much control on the price of grains and many farm products, by adjusting the import and export rules, by selling govermetn bought products back on the open market,

example many years ago, I would go in the ASCS office "Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service" now called FSA "Farm Service Agency" would go in January and report the acres and they would tell me to with $02. cents what the payment per bushel of grain I would raise would be, based on the prices of 5 of the summer months average,(the way I remember it), now tell me how they would know the average selling price of a product that many times was not even planted, raised, harvested or sold, 9 months in advance?
                    the only way I know was to manipulate the product to have it come to the price out come they desired.

agree or disagree with farm subsides, the government goal is to give the farmer just enough to keep them in business if there careful financially, but keep the masses provided with basically low cost food, it is much easer to subsidize about 1% of the population and have 99% reasonable content, and keep there beer mugs full and there tummy's full. it makes for a much more content citizenry.
                    http://www.agday.org/tc/tc-knowledge.html
                    ... U.S. consumers spend approximately nine percent of their income on food compared with 11 percent in the United Kingdom, 17 percent in Japan, 27 percent in South Africa and 53 percent in India.
                    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=429074
                    Last edited by BHD; 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

hello dude,

Yes apple juice is the best choice and it is good for health.you should try the different juices also. I have a ebook and you will get different recipe also specially for juice. http://www.getyourfreeproducts.com/optin/food_cooking_recipes
                      download this ebook.

with regards,
                      jennifer

Comment

Dam, This thread even has all kinds of graphs and stuff now

Comment

My comments and frustration was not aimed at farmers(unlike those greedy Union folks), but the system that encourages the price spikes I have seen. Wheter it is the result of corn crops grown for ethanol in place of corn grown for human consumption and corn oil that raised prices or commodities speculators, the result is a hefty price hike to the consumer. I remember when I could afford lamb chops, years ago they were raised right here! Now at over $14 dollars a pound I can't afford the tasteless shoe leather lamb imported and it doesn't make sense. That's how I tied the chinese apple juice to corn crops and "lamb". we have fertile soil, fields to graze on and hardworking farmers, but we are still forced to buy substandard and expensive imported products.

Comment

Boo Hoo so there importing chinese apple juice to the U S, well your exporting Navel Oranges from a place called California to Australia and flooding our markets and our farms are finding in hard to compete.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              Boo Hoo so there importing chinese apple juice to the U S, well your exporting Navel Oranges from a place called California to Australia and flooding our markets and our farms are finding in hard to compete.

Tony
                              That lamb comment hurt, don't eat the oranges.

Comment

There's no problem with global trade. Oranges, lamb, Chevrolets and Toyotas or whatever. It helps everyone, and everyone gains access to stuff that they otherwise wouldn't be able to get.

The problem is that almost anything taken to an extreme is a bad thing. In the case of trade, the balance of imports v. exports is slanted so dramatically that we are decimating entire industries. Job loss and no growth hugely affects the government revenue stream. Every dollar we aren't making isn't getting taxed. At this point, it's a huge loss. You get to make up the difference on April 15.

Historically, factors such as influence and military strength on the world scale are directly related to economic strength. It is utterly naive - or perhaps arrogant - to think that the position of the United States can be maintained if we lose our economic leadership. Yet virtually all economic analysts agree that China's economy will soon overtake ours.

Lest we forget, it was economics that defeated the Soviets and Eastern Block in the cold war. Not a shot was fired. They made a massive mistake and tried to go head-to-head with a much stronger economc power- the United States - in a spending competition on primarily weaponry. Reagan used our economy to fund an escalation in the arms race that buried them. While standing in soup lines in Moscow, Soviets saw live feeds of US weapons that looked like science fiction. So, they spent themselves into the ground and in the end they couldn't compete. They didn't give up. They went broke. It wasn't without pain here, though... it put a large burden on our economy and hurt us all.

China is doing it smarter. They are using our greed and insatiable appetite for copious amounts of cheap stuff to promote their economic growth. In the meanwhile, US government is broke. They are borrowing huge sums to meet their expenses. Many states are in similar dire straits. China (let us not forget, Red China) ALREADY has tremendous economic control as they are financing the US government debt.

If (when) China stops buying those debt instruments, the US government will be tremendously weaker. Who's going to step up to fund the party? The Brits? The French? Canada? None of them have, relatively, two nickels to rub together. Japan? Yeah, right.

So, just to focus on one point - how are we going to maintain our military? Well, your taxes are going to go up. Which will hurt the economy more, in a vicious circle. Soon tax increases won't be enough. Red China will have done what the Soviets were unable to do. With our help, the help of US "industry" and the utter stupidity and short-sightedness of the government.

Keep in mind that the United States became a dominant world power AFTER WWII. We did it because we built an infrastructure that provided high levels of education. And massive industrial power on a scale that dwarfed anything that came before. The groundwork for all this was done in the first have of the 20th century. Sadly, we've allowed people (US finance and business leaders) that are after the short term buck to essentially sell that industry for pennies on the dollar to China so that we can clutter our lives with lots of useless crap from WalMart. Those pennies on the dollar are enough to make those few people very wealthy. Heck of a deal.

We've been the world leader for 65 years. Today, the economic trends say we're in decline. After so many of our fathers and grandfathers put so much into building this country. How sad. One of the shortest empires in history.

Comment

Working...
                                X