Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Forget Healthcare Reform!!! ~ Apple Juice Has Been Outsourced! ?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget Healthcare Reform!!! ~ Apple Juice Has Been Outsourced! ?????

So, my wife asked me to pour a glass of apple juice for my son,

BTW - We live UPSTATE NY ( you know, farms, lots of land etc etc)

I go into the fridge and what do I see?

CHINESE Apple Juice staring right at me, It was from our LOCAL CVS......

Ya, Right on the bottle it says: "Concentrate from China"

Not that I have anything against the Chinese but wouldn't it be better to get the Apples locally and maybe create an economy?

Thoughts?

Here is the juice, look for black arrow

Attached Files

Re: Forget Healthcare Reform!!! ~ Apple Juice Has Been Outsourced! ?????

Better have it checked for lead. You may need healthcare reform if you drink it!!!

Comment

Speaking of our local apple orchards: "New York Apple Growers ... Millions of Local Branches Near You." Heard it on the radio, really gives me a chuckle.

NYS is either #2 or #3 for apples, but my wife refuses to buy anything but Martinelli's Apple Juice which is from California at $13/gallon ($6.49 for the half gallon).

Comment

Not sure how many apples your growing in upstate NY this time of year.

China has a year round growing season for apples and have really been killing American farms because of it.

Look at it this way if you had the option of two supply houses

1. Costs you a few bucks more in gas because it is further away buy has everything you need any time you want it

2. May or may not have what you need depending on the time of year and can be unpredictable due to weather.

The big companies go with option 1 predictability is more important in their supply chain then anything else. Smaller companies are willing to change up their supply chain based on costs in an effort to compete with the bigger guys.

Want apple juice that doesn't come from China CVS probably isn't the best place to shop for it.

Comment

Write a letter to CVS and tell them you don't trust such products from china and further more you feel it is damaging to our economy! Write a letter to your local paper if there is a "Letter To The Editor" section, awareness helps. We can't adopt an attitude of having nothing against china! The glut of their products in our society is altering our economy, and we cannot survive strictly as consumers. We must produce. We pay dearly for the cheaper labor and manufacturing of these foreign countries in the form of unemployment and lost businesses. Even from the standpoint of big business it is bad to kill off your consumer base in order to temporarily inflate your profit margin. Look around, we are not buying many cars or building many homes, we are a dying society. I'm not going to post on politics, this is a matter of survival.

Comment

Just another example of capitalism in its purest form.

Comment

Thats IT!!!!

I am calling TONY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbenRUApNGA

Comment

If you want the good stuff skip apple juice!
                Get down to your local orchard and buy some of their apple cider!

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                  It may be pure capitalism,
                  or it may be a governmental decision, by who's may not be that easy to determine.

(so many of our trade agreements undermine our own producers and manufactures in this country),

And what do I mean by that, is that nearly ever government in the world has some type of system to support there farmers, for the nations own food security, some put tariffs or restrictions on imports of competing products, and in the worlds food market there is a lot of governmental subsidies (not nessarly going to the farmers), but to either make there products competitive or to keep some portion of there markets viable, even to the point of selling on the world market below there production costs.

Not all trade is free trade and much defiantly is not fair trade,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    It may be pure capitalism,
                    or it may be a governmental decision, by who's may not be that easy to determine.

(so many of our trade agreements undermine our own producers and manufactures in this country),

And what do I mean by that, is that nearly ever government in the world has some type of system to support there farmers, for the nations own food security, some put tariffs or restrictions on imports of competing products, and in the worlds food market there is a lot of governmental subsidies (not nessarly going to the farmers), but to either make there products competitive or to keep some portion of there markets viable, even to the point of selling on the world market below there production costs.

Not all trade is free trade and much defiantly is not fair trade,
                    You are right on the money with this post!!! Try to sell American grown rice abroad, can't do it given the tariffs. Between tariffs and limits on imports, as you said foreign governments protect their own economies and we are kept at a disadvantage. The clock is running and it is not in our favor.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                      Right! I'm pretty sure that as a better informed consumer PlumbingSkool will let CVS know that he doesn't want any apple juice from China by not buying it from them anymore. I know that I'll look at my apple juice before I buy it now. I'll also hapily pay more for an American made product from an American company.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        We can't adopt an attitude of having nothing against china!
                        I agree.

We seem to have fallen in love with copious amounts of cheap stuff, much of which is of poor quality, not safe, and produced in environmentally irresponsibly ways that also exploit their workforce.

And so we've also forgotten that this is Red China. COMMUNIST Red China. They still have nuclear ICBMs and they are still pointed at YOU.

They, along with the Soviets, cost YOU oodles of tax dollars as we were forced to stay ahead in the arms race.

Today, they buy up the lion's share of US debt instruments, essentially financing and enabling our government's addiction to reckless and irresponsible overspending. Not because they care about YOU - but rather because they *need* the United States economy to survive so that WE can continue to buy their stuff--until they can dominate the world economy. Which most economists agree they are going to do. When they no longer need the US to accompish their objectives will they continue to support us? And make no mistake about it... our Government is being supported by China... that is what government debt is, in its most fundamental sense.

China is not your friend. China IS the friend to the harvard manager types that we have (stupidly) allowed to take over the helm of Anerican industry. Those people are making a ton of money on the deal. You, however, are not. But you can buy poor quality junk for half price, which is probably still more than much of it is worth.

How quickly we forget. China is a communist country and are out to dominate. The doctrine HAS NOT CHANGED. It's just that they finally discovered that they can do it easier and more comfortably through business than through ballistic missiles and marching armies.

I have nothing against persons of Chinese lineage. I have a huge problem with CHINA. And I have an even bigger problem with our US Gov't sleeping with the enemy.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 01-05-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          I agree.

We seem to have fallen in love with copious amounts of cheap stuff, much of which is of poor quality, not safe, and produced in environmentally irresponsibly ways that also exploit their workforce.

And so we've also forgotten that this is Red China. COMMUNIST Red China. They still have nuclear ICBMs and they are still pointed at YOU.

They, along with the Soviets, cost YOU oodles of tax dollars as we were forced to stay ahead in the arms race.

Today, they buy up the lion's share of US debt instruments, essentially financing and enabling our government's addiction to reckless and irresponsible overspending. Not because they care about YOU - but rather because they *need* the United States economy to survive so that WE can continue to buy their stuff--until they can dominate the world economy. Which most economists agree they are going to do. When they no longer need the US to accompish their objectives will they continue to support us? And make no mistake about it... our Government is being supported by China... that is what government debt is, in its most fundamental sense.

China is not your friend. China IS the friend to the harvard manager types that we have (stupidly) allowed to take over the helm of Anerican industry. Those people are making a ton of money on the deal. You, however, are not. But you can buy poor quality junk for half price, which is probably still more than much of it is worth.

How quickly we forget. China is a communist country and are out to dominate. The doctrine HAS NOT CHANGED. It's just that they finally discovered that they can do it easier and more comfortably through business than through ballistic missiles and marching armies.

I have nothing against persons of Chinese lineage. I have a huge problem with CHINA. And I have an even bigger problem with our US Gov't sleeping with the enemy.
                          Great post, thank you! Why don't more Americans get it?

Comment

Even when that stuff is local, it doesn't mean it is automatically better. Local food suppy companies have pulled a few stunts of their own that makes me question the quality of what we eat. Upstate New York for example: You know "Beech-Nut" off of I-90? Years ago, they were slapped with a severe lawsuit for false advertising. They perported to selling apple juice in their containers, when in fact there wasn't one drop of apple juice in their products at all. It was all artificial flavoring.

Comment

I know the way the info has been assembled it is hard to follow but interesting none the less,

and this info is for 2004

In 2004, the following nations exported the most apples by weight.

1.China … 774,131 metric tons (15.6% of top ten total)
                              2.Chile … 738,985 metric tons (14.9%)
                              3.France … 628,017 metric tons (12.6%)
                              4.Italy … 541,969 metric tons (10.9%)
                              5.United States … 491,676 metric tons (9.9%)
                              6.Poland … 407,393 metric tons (8.2%)
                              7.Netherlands … 388,094 metric tons (7.8%)
                              8.New Zealand … 358,327 metric tons (7.2%)
                              9.Belgium … 336,737 metric tons (6.8%)
                              10.South Africa … 305,190 metric tons (6.1%).
                              However, the list changes dramatically for the top ten apple exporters by value.

1.France … US$574.7 million (18.2% of top ten total)
                              2.Italy … $432.8 million (13.7%)
                              3.United States … $383.7 million (12.2%)
                              4.Chile … $338 million (10.7%)
                              5.New Zealand … $314 million (10.0%)
                              6.Netherlands … $297 million (9.4%)
                              7.China $274.4 million (8.7%)
                              8.Belgium $258.6 million (8.2%)
                              9.South Africa … $181 million (5.7%)
                              10.Poland … $100.8 million (3.2%).
                              The reason for the difference is higher unit prices per metric ton for apples from such exporting nations as France (US$915), Italy ($799), New Zealand ($876) and the U.S. ($780).

Apples from Poland (US$247), China ($354), Chile ($457) and South Africa ($593) dictated lower prices on the world market in 2004. Netherlands and Belgium enjoyed average unit prices of about $765.

Top Ten Apple Importers

The following countries spent the most on fresh apple imports in 2004.

1.Germany … US$595.8 million (13.9% of top ten total)
                              2.United Kingdom … $553 million (12.9%)
                              3.Netherlands … $279.3 million (6.5%)
                              4.Russia … $237.4 million (5.5%)
                              5.Belgium … $221.5 million (5.2%)
                              6.United States … $215.9 million (5.0%)
                              7.Spain … $206.8 million (4.8%)
                              8.France … $170.6 million (4.0%)
                              9.Mexico … $136.9 million (3.2%)
                              10.Canada … $124.7 million (2.9%).
                              In terms of weight, Russia is the second-largest apple importer behind only Germany. Russia imported 705,277 metric tons of apples compared to Germany’s 736,256 metric tons in 2004. Russia paid an average unit price of $337 per metric ton – an amount far lower than the $809 that Germany shelled out for its imported apples.

The remaining apple importers in the top ten pay fairly similar average unit prices, ranging from France’s $812 per metric ton to the U.K.’s $1,053.

Sources for this Article
                              This article presents independent calculations and insights based on key statistics from the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (fao.org) and National Agricultural Statistics Service, US Department of Agriculture

Note: Perhaps due to a lack of credible statistics, data from India seemed to be absent from the above statistical sources.

http://international-trade-leaders.s...pple_countries
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X