No announcement yet.

Pneumatic air hose question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pneumatic air hose question

Typically I use the 3/8 "blue" air hose for my pneumatic tools.
    They are typically the Harbor freight variety and are rated at 300psi.

I have never had any challenges with these hoses.

I want to run a length of this air hose the length of my full size
    van. The run will be inside and under carpet.

I need a run about 15 feet long. I do not see any pre-made at 15-20 feet.
    Twenty five feet is too long and I'd end up with a large coil at one end.

I have seen the 3/8 barbs that you can use with two gear clamps/worm clamps/hose clamps
    I hesitate to do this as I'm not sure if it will not fail? The factory crimped ends have never failed!

I will have a regulator at the compressor/air tank and will run about 150-160psi through the hose.

Can I safely and comfortably use the barbed fitting to a quick disconnect?

Cactus Man
    Last edited by cactusman; 01-11-2010, 11:48 PM.

Re: Pneumatic air hose question

Here is how I would solve your dilemma. I goggled your location and 'hose'

Copperstate Hose
    5306 West Missouri Avenue, Glendale, AZ(623) 463-7900‎

Most areas have a half dozen companies that can make a hose of any size, type, or make. They are the guys that manufacturers and warehousing rely on when a air hose or hydraulic line goes.

Give them a call tell them you need a 15 or 20 foot hose made up. Often it is cheaper then buying air hoses at a store. You'll get something that is rated for what you want with the manufactured ends your looking for.

use the barbed hose fitting and a hose clamp, that is all the factory end is but the clamp is a crimped on unit that is put on the barb,
      (when between a rock and a hard spot, I have cut the hose off, taken a bench grinder and grind through the brass crimped on collar acting as a clamp and grind down to the barbed unit, (don't grind the unit), and reuse the barbed hose fitting, and put a worm gear hose clamp on it, usually wrap with tape for not catching my hand on the hose clamp,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Only thing I would add is to get the worm gear clamp the correct size. A smaller width clamp that will tightly fit all the way around the hose is better than a wider one that is too large and will not make a good compression for the full circumference. If you are not confident with that, put a little non-hardening permatex on the barbed fitting before putting it into the hose.

Last edited by Gofor; 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working