X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite workwear or clothing brand?

I recently started a Thread about favorite winter coat, but then I began to think about my favorite clothing brand in general. Without question, Carhartt is at the top of my list. Their clothing is so durable and consistant in quality that nothing comes close. Price wise, Carhartt is not cheap but when you consider how long the various clothing lasts it does become cost effective. I know this kind of clothing may be a little too tough or overkill for certain jobs, so I was wondering what brand of shirts, pants and outerwear goes well with your specific work?

Re: Favorite workwear or clothing brand?

I don't have a particular favorite.

I like to use clothes from the Army Surplus, Goodwill, or Second Hand stores.

Cheaper and I'm going to ruin the looks of most any brand anyway pretty quickly.

J.C.

Comment

I used to wear and sometimes still wear WearGuard, but now it's more Dickie's for me. WG seemed to blow it with quality control issues.
      No 2 of anything were alike. If I can find a good local source of Carhart then I'm most likely switching to them.

Comment

Unfortunately,I'm stuck with Cintas uniforms.

I do wear a Carhart coat, the same one since 97.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
          Unfortunately,I'm stuck with Cintas uniforms.

I do wear a Carhart coat, the same one since 97.
          I wore the Cintas clothing when I was a garage mechanic and it was fine for that work. Blue uniform, lightweight pants and shirts for warmer weather and heavier weight for the cold. That was thirty years and seventy pounds ago.

Comment

Have you tried BargainOutfitters.com? If you're lucky enough to find your size in stock you can get good deals from them. They carry a lot of Carhartt stuff and other work clothes. I think they get close-outs and unsold merchandise to sell. Get on their site and do a search for Carhartt. But good luck finding the size you want.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

i wear the Beer Can Island shorts from Hook & Tackle. good quality, last about a year, plus the "beer can" pocket is great for carrying things for a guick grab.

shirts are Hanes Beefy Tees in the tank top style. nice logo on the front & slogan/logo on the back

shoes are the cheapy sneaker ones from K-mart. they last about the same as the expensive "brand" sneakers and cost about 1/5th as much

6 pairs of shorts @ about $40 each
              a dozen tanks for $96
              6 to 8 pairs of shoes @ about $20/each

same outfit year round. make life really simple

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I used to buy Carhartt, but now that most of their stuff is made overseas, I look very carefully for the few remaining Made in USA items, and leave the rest on the shelf.

The footware and clothing industries are all but gone from our country, a shame. My area used to have a number of companies that made uniforms and other gear for our military. They have all closed up on the past 10 years because the lost the contracts to facilities elsewhere. Overseas I don't know. I do know that close to 4000 Americans lost their jobs at those factories.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  I used to buy Carhartt, but now that most of their stuff is made overseas, I look very carefully for the few remaining Made in USA items, and leave the rest on the shelf.

The footware and clothing industries are all but gone from our country, a shame. My area used to have a number of companies that made uniforms and other gear for our military. They have all closed up on the past 10 years because the lost the contracts to facilities elsewhere. Overseas I don't know. I do know that close to 4000 Americans lost their jobs at those factories.
                  Bob, captialists bought into all that cheap labor and while it made them a boat load of money and put a lot of Americans out of work, the tide is turning in my opinion. Consumers don't have much of a choice when it comes to choosing between American and third world(slave) made, but they are starting to wise up. I think it's a matter of time until big business realizes they killed off their consumer base. Tens of thousands of Americans losing their jobs, unable to pay car loans, credit card bills, mortgage payments, will impact capitalists who moved away for that cheap labor. Good luck to big business if they think those third world workers will pick up our consumer spending deficit.

Comment

Finding some Carhart clothing is sold though my local RedWing store, I also found that most of the RedWing line (and others they carry) of workboots are either totally made in China or partly made there. There are still a few USA made RedWing boots.

Comment

"Made in America"
                      Made by Mexicans

Comment

To bring this thread back on topic, I buy the el cheapo Wrangler jeans. They cost me about $15. Shoes are Georgia boot romeo's most of the time unless I'm getting muddy then it's whatever boot I've bought. I haven't got a favorite. I look for soft soles with traction and waterproof. Work shirts vary from year to year. I supply my crew with logo gear and the style changes. My coat is Carhart. This is my second Carhart since '97. The first one is still good, but either it shrunk or I got way bigger. My bibs are Carhart. I wear the bibs anytime I'm on a job. No offense to you plumber's but I don't like showing my crack!
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                          To bring this thread back on topic, I buy the el cheapo Wrangler jeans. They cost me about $15. Shoes are Georgia boot romeo's most of the time unless I'm getting muddy then it's whatever boot I've bought. I haven't got a favorite. I look for soft soles with traction and waterproof. Work shirts vary from year to year. I supply my crew with logo gear and the style changes. My coat is Carhart. This is my second Carhart since '97. The first one is still good, but either it shrunk or I got way bigger. My bibs are Carhart. I wear the bibs anytime I'm on a job. No offense to you plumber's but I don't like showing my crack!
                          When I was working in manholes I wore the carhartt bibs and they were like armor! I used to buy Lee jeans but I've switched to Walmarts "faded glory" at around $9.00 a pair.

Comment

I buy used uniforms pants and shirts at the uniform shop. Very Cheep and just like most polyester work close they wear like iron and clean up easily. I would like to wear the 100% cotton work uniforms like pipe fitters or welders wear but they are costly and don't hold up as well, as far as fading and fraying go. for a coat I always wore carhart but now I buy a cheap uniform coat $30 and wear a sweat shirt under it if it's very cold.

Comment

I dont count because I work in an office but I did get a nice pair of carhartt bibs for Christmas.

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Quilt...3564115&sr=8-4

Bought mine on sales. Very happy with em for braving the cold weather. Great for sledding

Comment

Working...
                              X