Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generous Countries

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Generous Countries

    Originally posted by AFM View Post
    Haiti is in your back yard as Indonesia was to us after their earthquack and the logistics to help are easer for the U S than for Australia and other countries to help other than giving monies and other support, it would be a sh=ty world if we expected something in return.

    Tony
    Tony, I think it's a poor attitude to take pot shots at the USA, but refuse to say anything nice given the opportunity. Maybe we should not expect anything in return, but that doesn't mean it is not warranted or welcomed to show some appreciation and thanks.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Generous Countries

      Nice "non-polictical" thread you've got going on here, Frank.

      I can't help but think that the pat on the back is soured/tempered by the fact that the botched response to Katrina is still very much on people's minds.

      In 2005, the US wasn't mired in the aftermath of an economic meltdown, yet the response to a tragedy on US soil was lacking.

      Five years later and the response is swifter and bigger to a tragedy far away in what some would dismiss as a crime-ridden, terror plagued slum.

      Funny what a change in political parties and worldwide perception will do.

      It's fabulous what countries can do when they pull together to help, but in the end you're fooling yourself if you think that's just all it is.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Generous Countries

        I'm sure the survivors in Haiti are beyond grateful to see the US helping them. They're grateful for any help, which very well could be fertile ground for some unsavory group to plant their seeds and gain power at a later date.

        However, at this time the situation is only getting worse and more desperate by the hour. I can wait for a display of gratitude.

        It appears the international community is contributing to the cause. I'm confident that the world knows who we are and what we are doing. The BBC is mainly reporting on the US response.

        I don't donate goods or money to retail outlets serving as collection points during the holidays. They're just using their customer base to promote their own business and create the impression that they are a caring business. I make my donations as anonymously as possible. I'm agnostic and even I get the principle of charity.

        The spirit of charity is in giving to those less fortunate or in need. Expecting recognition spoils the experience.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Generous Countries

          Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Tony, I think it's a poor attitude to take pot shots at the USA, but refuse to say anything nice given the opportunity. Maybe we should not expect anything in return, but that doesn't mean it is not warranted or welcomed to show some appreciation and thanks.
          Frank, it is sad when a tragedy spurs that sort of debate and even more so when information presented as facts is not true at all.

          The USA is by far the largest provider of help to other nations (the largest chunk of the aid to Israel and Egypt) and the US is by far the largest economy. Contrary to boytyperanma's post, when we consider the GDP then the picture looks bleaker. The US is 21s behind countries such as Belgium, Ireland, Canada, France, Finland, and Britain, Norway, the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark. The last 4 are actually the top contributors spending about 1% of their GDP on foreign aid. The US spends around 0.15%.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Generous Countries

            Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            Nice "non-polictical" thread you've got going on here, Frank.

            I can't help but think that the pat on the back is soured/tempered by the fact that the botched response to Katrina is still very much on people's minds.

            In 2005, the US wasn't mired in the aftermath of an economic meltdown, yet the response to a tragedy on US soil was lacking.

            Five years later and the response is swifter and bigger to a tragedy far away in what some would dismiss as a crime-ridden, terror plagued slum.

            Funny what a change in political parties and worldwide perception will do.

            It's fabulous what countries can do when they pull together to help, but in the end you're fooling yourself if you think that's just all it is.
            Mack, I tried to give the haters a chance to say something nice about the USA, but it just has not happened. I readily admit our deficits and failures, as well as our achievments. This thread was not about politics athough you seem determined to make it that for some reason? Past and present administrations screw up and hopefully learn from their mistakes. I'd like to see people do the same, and rise up from their one track hate the USA mentality. Looking back to past posts during the prior administration, I received both negative critism and support. Now that I have voiced a upset with the current administration, folks who were supportive are now very criticalof me. Free Speech is not restricted to what you want to hear, it is not political, it is a right we as Americans are blessed to have. I wil repeat myself that I will not be commenting on our political parties, but that does not mean I won't talk about my country. Sadly, natural disasters and man made tragedies will occur, here and around the world. I hope we can pull together and help ease the losses when and whereever they occur. Giving praise for a job well done should not be witheld because of some political agenda. There are times to rise above, and this is one of them in my opinion. I'll let you have the last word, there is nothing more I can add.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Generous Countries

              I get tired of the United State bailing out other countries and its problems. We could be a superpower just onto ourselves if we cut off the tube feeder to so many others.


              It's like the teenage kid that stays at home and won't get a damn job;


              kick them out, change the doorlocks and make them fend for themselves and then they become self-sufficient.

              I have more sympathy for the working poor/starving/hungry/those in need of health care right in my back yard.


              Haiti is so Fing corrupt that all that money being sent there will most likely not keep more from dieing...

              We are going to give them a taste of something they never had....and then leave?

              I doubt one earthquake will change 100's of years of sufferage...but in a world so cruel, I wouldn't be against it, for the betterment of those lives over there.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Generous Countries

                Originally posted by darius View Post
                Frank, it is sad when a tragedy spurs that sort of debate and even more so when information presented as facts is not true at all.

                The USA is by far the largest provider of help to other nations (the largest chunk of the aid to Israel and Egypt) and the US is by far the largest economy. Contrary to boytyperanma's post, when we consider the GDP then the picture looks bleaker. The US is 21s behind countries such as Belgium, Ireland, Canada, France, Finland, and Britain, Norway, the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark. The last 4 are actually the top contributors spending about 1% of their GDP on foreign aid. The US spends around 0.15%.
                I agree that our charity as a percentage of GDP isn't near the top. But in my view this is a great example of how statistics can be skewed to make any point that is desired.

                The US carries the ball in many areas including defense, NATO, the United nations, etc. Are these any less important or altruistic than charity efforts or disaster relief? I argue that they are most definitely NOT. They simply do not carry the sense of immediacy.

                The United States spends this money even whilst we are the largest debtor nation on the planet or in the history of the planet. Many other countries might give a higher percentage of their GDP as charity, so what? How much do they contribute to the preservation of the free world in total compared to the United States? We have problems, we are definitely not saints... but we do pick up the tab.

                Just as it's (currently) important for the US economy to remain viable to protect interests of countries such as China (you don't think they are buying our debt bonds out of sheer love, do you?) I acknowledge that the US benefits from the protection of Europe et al. But even so, we should not forget who's picking up the check. It is a little discouraging and somewhat of an insult that many people do seem to ignore this. I think it may be time to start to be more forceful in getting our allies to step up and pull their weight a little more in some of these areas. Not out of anger, just out of economic necessity as we really can't afford shouldering as much of these massive expenses as we have been.

                By the way, the "corrupt" nature of Haiti is irrelevant. Irrspective of crime, government corruption, etc, the people that are suffering are not different than we are in any way that matters. Helping is the right thing to do.
                Last edited by Andy_M; 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Generous Countries

                  Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                  Haiti is so Fing corrupt that all that money being sent there will most likely not keep more from dieing...

                  I doubt one earthquake will change 100's of years of sufferage...but in a world so cruel, I wouldn't be against it, for the betterment of those lives over there.
                  Anyone still care to claim the US is a Christian nation?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Generous Countries

                    Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                    Anyone still care to claim the US is a Christian nation?


                    Go ahead...but being a christian nation doesn't represent ignoring their own problems and its people and deal with the crisis of others..now does it.


                    Our earthquake was the economy...nobody is trying to save my *** and millions of others from poverty.

                    Check that at the door...


                    Oh wait, let's just blame everything on global warming while we are at it.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ft5JkNWJA
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Generous Countries

                      Yes, being a Christian means exactly that - putting your own interest aside sometimes to help those with more urgent problems. Being a Christian does mean, "turn the other cheek" - helping those who did not help you and will likely never be able to help you.

                      Christianity REPLACED the old testament idea of "an eye for an eye".

                      Now,

                      The poor people in Haiti didn't cause the earthquake.

                      WE created OUR economic crisis. WE are the ones that have been IGNORING our problems all along. WE elected idiots. WE believed the BS about the "service economy". WE allowed the tax code to get out of hand, and serve no purpose other than special interest profits. WE let the financial community get away with murder - not just in the past year, but for the past twenty five years. WE were so happy to get crap for 20% cheaper that WE killed our own industry and now they CAN'T compete.

                      And WE have the ability to fix our problems ourselves. That is unless we waste another decade letting things run down. Then there will be nothing we can do except lament what should have been. In Chinese. Other countries can't fix it for us.

                      But today, we can help ease the suffering in Haiti. Remember that even in the best of times those people have nothing compared to us.
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Generous Countries

                        Andy M,


                        So there is no starving children, dieing children in America.

                        People unable to take care of themselves.


                        You push the word christianity around to where it best suits the agenda, which in crisis mode it's a hop on the bandwagon scenario.


                        Not all christians believe in showboating when the world is watching.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Generous Countries

                          Keep it respectful or I will have to close the thread.

                          Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Generous Countries

                            The things done and said in the name of christianity and God are not always worth praise, even nowadays. Here is a so called "Man of God" a fine christian, what do you think?
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Generous Countries

                              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              The things done and said in the name of christianity and God are not always worth praise, even nowadays. Here is a so called "Man of God" a fine christian, what do you think?
                              I think he is an 80-year old christian who has been shown time and time again to be an embarrassment to many Christians. However, he is one man and not a faith.

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Generous Countries

                                Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                I think he is an 80-year old christian who has been shown time and time again to be an embarrassment to many Christians. However, he is one man and not a faith.

                                Mark
                                Agreed, it's unfortunate he has such a wide reach through the media.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X