X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generous Countries

Once again the call for international aid has gone out as Haiti starts to recover from a devistating earthquake. The USA takes a beating among the global community and usually receives little support in return for all our humanitarian efforts. I was wondering what other great countries, often praised as better than the USA, have stepped up with money, people, ships, and assorted supplies to help out? I know we are not the only country to send help, but how about some recognition?

Re: Generous Countries

So Frankie............what happened to your New Year's resolution about no political threads?

As far as crisis aid - countries as well as individuals have been known to do things without ever seeking recognition in return. I don't see how this case is any different.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
      So Frankie............what happened to your New Year's resolution about no political threads?

As far as crisis aid - countries as well as individuals have been known to do things without ever seeking recognition in return. I don't see how this case is any different.
      Mack, I'm sticking to my resolution. I won't be posting on our political parties. I thought this was a good opportunity to give the USA a pat on the back for a quick and geneous response after some rather unkind remarks.

Comment

I think there was a rousing response from other nations with their intentions, including our China! Of course we won't hear an awful lot of that in the U.S. News, I'm afraid.

But in no way, does that take away from what we as a government, and as "a people" will do, in organizations, groups, and as individuals! If I am not mistaken, we are the most generous of countries in such times and our citizens are even more so.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Mack, I'm sticking to my resolution. I won't be posting on our political parties. I thought this was a good opportunity to give the USA a pat on the back for a quick and geneous response after some rather unkind remarks.
          A quick Google search would have yielded you this:
          http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...yuwWVKj2vcVVDQ

As far as unkind remarks, is that about the United States or Haiti?

The only thing I could put together on unkind remarks/USA was the craziness being spouted by Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh after the earthquake happened.

Regardless, there'll always be disasters of some sort and posturing when there isn't. Sending aid is meant to help, not a plea/response for a pat on the back.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            Of course we won't hear an awful lot of that in the U.S. News, I'm afraid.CWS
            Who owns and operates the 'U.S. News'?

I wonder why we should care what other countries have to say about us when we're doing something that would generate favorable opinions, when we obviously could care less what those same countries have to say about our less popular activities abroad?

Perhaps some smaller, insecure nation requires external validation that they are contributing to the general welfare of the world. I don't think the USA needs a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
              Who owns and operates the 'U.S. News'?

I wonder why we should care what other countries have to say about us when we're doing something that would generate favorable opinions, when we obviously could care less what those same countries have to say about our less popular activities abroad?

Perhaps some smaller, insecure nation requires external validation that they are contributing to the general welfare of the world. I don't think the USA needs a medal.
              Who are you speaking for when you say "we". I imagine there are many US Citizens who care what we are doing around the world.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Please,

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO HAITI OR ANY AFFILIATION TO THIS CRISIS.

Send products, clothes, soap, household items, anything that can be shipped and sent over there to help them.

News just came out a few months ago where a half a billion dollars vanished into thin air that was directed towards the people of the tsunami victims. Katrina, same thing.

Anything in monetary donation is a handout to the greed that tends to every catastrophic event.

No one polices this, no one is held accountable, and always, years later...we hear how millions of dollars were funnelled inappropriately into the hands of those who don't deserve it, and the people who truly needed it, don't get the money.

"Giving more" doesn't mean that more get the help...quite the contrary.

Being lazy and tossing money is throwing it to anything but the people who need it.

Perfect example:

Not even 24 hours into this event, they made it known how you can give money instantly by calling a number and entering a code, then it gets charged to your phone bill.

Do you know who this is? Do you know who is policing it? Do you know what percentage goes to the people who need it?

You DON'T.

Give of your time, your household products, anything that cannot be pilfered and exploited by those it does not belong to.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  A quick Google search would have yielded you this:
                  http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...yuwWVKj2vcVVDQ

As far as unkind remarks, is that about the United States or Haiti?

The only thing I could put together on unkind remarks/USA was the craziness being spouted by Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh after the earthquake happened.

Regardless, there'll always be disasters of some sort and posturing when there isn't. Sending aid is meant to help, not a plea/response for a pat on the back.
                  Mack, I was referring to the many unkind remarks made toward the USA on this Forum and elsewhere. I could not agree more that aid is sent to help those in need, not for a pat on the back. The pat on the back is strictly my idea and I stand by it, not to insult others but to make a point that such a response is worthy of positive mention. Sorry if it was taken as a slight.

Comment

Dunbar makes an excellent point. The amount of corruption in Haiti would surely stifle any financial aid sent to the Country. I was glad to hear we have a hospital ship on the way as it seems many of the hospitals were destroyed. I understand why the poor people were in sub standard housing but why in the world were the International Agency in sub standard buildings? It seem we have enough history on disasters for these organizations to build to protect regardless of codes.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here is a quote from the AP news item:

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama and the U.S. moved to take charge in earthquake-ravaged Haiti on Thursday, dispatching thousands of troops along with tons of aid to try to keep order as well as rescue the suffering in a country dysfunctional in the best of times.

Tested by the first large-scale humanitarian disaster of his presidency, Obama ordered a relief effort of historic proportions despite the strains it was sure to put on both the stretched U.S. budget and military forces fighting two wars. He pledged an initial $100 million — with the likelihood of more later.

"The United States is providing a lot of the glue that is keeping people communicating and working together as we try to assert authority, reinstate the government and begin to do what governments have to do to rebuild," Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said on Fox News Channel.

etc.

I for one do not care what anyone in any other country thinks of the United States. Screw 'em, as long as we are taking the high road. I am PLEASED and PROUD AS HELL that the United States is demonstrating leadership.

Not really an Obama fan, but we seem to be doing the right things this time to help those people in these extreme circumstances.

Bravo!
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

There's time for a parade later. We have work to do. Actions speak for themselves.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Who are you speaking for when you say "we". I imagine there are many US Citizens who care what we are doing around the world.

Mark
                        Well, I know there was a certain faction that was not interested in what the international community thought about our middle east excursion. That is the WE to which I was referring. You know, the Old Europe and such. I can't imagine WE would be terribly flattered were Old Europe to offer us any praise.

Comment

This is a list of countries (and some larger jurisdictions within some countries) which provide help to Haiti after the earthquake:

1 Argentina
                          2 Australia
                          3 Austria
                          4 Bangladesh
                          5 Belgium
                          6 Belize
                          7. Bermuda
                          8 Bolivia
                          9 Bosnia and Herzegovina
                          10 Brazil
                          11 Canada
                          11.1 Newfoundland and Labrador
                          11.2 Ontario
                          12 Chile
                          13 China
                          14 Colombia
                          15 Costa Rica
                          16 Croatia
                          17 Cuba
                          18 Czech Republic
                          19 Denmark
                          20 Dominica
                          21 Dominican Republic
                          22 Ecuador
                          23 El Salvador
                          24 Estonia
                          25 European Union Response
                          26 Finland
                          27 France
                          28 Germany
                          29 Greece
                          30 Guyana
                          31 Iceland
                          32 India
                          33 Indonesia
                          34 Iran
                          35 Ireland
                          36 Israel
                          37 Italy
                          38 Jamaica
                          39 Japan
                          40 Lebanon
                          41 Lithuania
                          42 Macedonia
                          43 Malta
                          44 Mexico
                          45 Morocco
                          46 Netherlands
                          47 New Zealand
                          48 Nicaragua
                          49 Norway
                          50 Pakistan
                          51 Panama
                          52 Peru
                          53 Philippines
                          54 Poland
                          55 Portugal
                          56 Puerto Rico
                          57 Romania
                          58 Russia
                          59 Serbia
                          60 Singapore
                          61 Slovenia
                          62 South Africa
                          63 South Korea
                          64 Spain
                          65 Sweden
                          66 Switzerland
                          67 Republic of China (Taiwan)
                          68 Thailand
                          69 Trinidad and Tobago
                          70 Turkey
                          71 United Arab Emirates
                          72 United Kingdom
                          73 United States
                          73.1 California
                          73.2 Florida
                          73.3 Virginia
                          74 Vatican City
                          75 Venezuela
                          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

When it comes to charitable giving the US is number one by a long shot. On every measurable statistic we donate more to the causes of the world. In most measures even more then double the next country in line. We donate more in cash then anyone else and in terms of percent of GDP we give more.

Other countries also participate in generosity as well and in every case each any country who donates to a cause outside their own is doing more then their fair share. One of the good things about humanity is our societies are still willing to help other in times of tragedy.

On donating cash vs goods.

This site provides a list of charities and recommendations on how to go about things.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...view&cpid=1004

In general in the first week of an event cash is in every way better. Goods can't get there until the grunt work of establishing ways of getting it there is done. Many agencies already have their feet on the ground and need money to fund immediate projects.

When giving cash know who your actual giving it to and know their record for putting it to actual use. NPR had a pretty good segment about that today. The above cite is from that segment. They are a non-profit that investigates charitable organizations and rates their effectiveness and honesty in using funds.

Comment

Haiti is in your back yard as Indonesia was to us after their earthquack and the logistics to help are easer for the U S than for Australia and other countries to help other than giving monies and other support, it would be a sh=ty world if we expected something in return.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X