X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlights

There was talk about flashlights in another Thread and rather than being OT I thought I would start a new thread.

These are what I am carrying on the truck now.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

http://www.pelican.com/media/videos/...Flashlight.php

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Flashlights

Mark, I'm a "Flashaholic" and watching that video was interesting. Pelican made a very well thought out flahlight in the 7060. Lots of nice, useful features. I have followed the progress of some LED flashlight advancements and the future is now. I carry a LED flashlight in my shirt pocket every day that is half the size of a MiniMag AA, is almost twice as bright and has several levels of brightness. Just as impressive as the LED brightness is the array of lithium batteries available. One of the best features recently brought to market is the LED flashlight that can run on both lithium size and voltage batteries as well as AA alkaline or NIMH batteries. No need to carry spare bulbs or work with a dim flashlight anymore.

Comment

I keep the flashlight manufacturers in business with the amount of flashlights I carry on my truck.

My main flashlight right now is the Milwaukee M12 LED light. It's small, bright, and has an adjustable head. I used to use a DeWalt 18v florescent light for my under sink lighting, but the M12 light works better, and takes up less room in the tool bag.

I carry a couple of other M12 lights on the truck, but they are incandescent bulbs, and don't hold up well over time.

I also carry 3 different styles of DeWalt lights for late night jobs that are outdoors, as well as a cheap LED light to have in the cab of the truck.

For home use, I have a bunch of cheap LED flashlights scattered around the house.

Comment

I still use the traditional mag lights for the most part. 3D batteries and usable to subdue someone. I have several of them around.

I also have a few led headlamps I occasionally use. They are very effective but I hate wearing them. I only use them when that is the only thing time and space permits.

I stopped using drop lights a while back just felt they're usefulness didn't merit the space in the truck. If I know one will come in handy on a particular job I'll still bring one.

Yeah so for the most part it is still old fashioned flashlights for me. Someday I'll advance to this century.

Comment

JC turned me on to this Hillbilly Flashlight set.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
            I still use the traditional mag lights for the most part. 3D batteries and usable to subdue someone. I have several of them around.

I also have a few led headlamps I occasionally use. They are very effective but I hate wearing them. I only use them when that is the only thing time and space permits.

I stopped using drop lights a while back just felt they're usefulness didn't merit the space in the truck. If I know one will come in handy on a particular job I'll still bring one.

Yeah so for the most part it is still old fashioned flashlights for me. Someday I'll advance to this century.
            Good LED lights are great. I would not consider buying an incandecent flash lite again. The light is different maybe not as good but it is always there. If you get a good one you will be happy. Besides it cuts down on global warming

Comment

Let me introduce you to my little friend.

http://www.energizer.com/SiteCollect...23AE-LPENR.jpg

Two batteries included, 100 hour run time, fits in your pocket or on your shirt collar, and was $6.00 at HD. Don't even take the big flashlight alot of times.

Only negative is the clicker can be fidgety but I have always been able to make it work.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Here is what I am using most of the time now. Available at Lowes for $9.97. One super bright in front lights an area about 25-30 ft in front of you. 2 leds under bill for close up viewing of what you are working on or reading. 3 way switch lets you use all /front/under as you choose.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I really like the Pelican 7060 but I also like some other flashlights too depending on use.

The 7060 - http://www.brightguy.com/products/Pe...Flashlight.php

More light but it will roll away - http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...Flashlight.php

Compact and powerful / A little old school - http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...shlight_C4.php

Powerful and good for attitude adjustment (bashing heads) if necessary / It is old school however - http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...Flashlight.php

This is what I keep handy for night time power failures. If left near a good light source it will glow in the dark so it's easy to find.
                  http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-...nt-shroud.html
                  Last edited by Woussko; 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Anyone have experience shinning lights down wells. The mag lights I use I can see down about 60ft. Have your LED experiences been more or less?

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                      Anyone have experience shinning lights down wells. The mag lights I use I can see down about 60ft. Have your LED experiences been more or less?
                      The term flashlight enthusiasts use for distance is "throw" and several of my LED flashlights can outdo a Maglite. There are some good videos on Youtube showing the brightness of these LED lights. Check out jetbeam or some of the cheaper brands which are very bright. Ultrafire502b, C3, A1.

Comment

I have carried a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon on my side daily for four years now. The light is tough and it has been abused, dropped in water and been in -20° weather for hours. A set of batteries lasts me about two weeks and I used the light daily. I bought a all black one the first time then bought a yellow one so I can see it better.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...Flashlight.php

The best thing about it is that it takes AA batteries which you can get pretty much anywhere. I have the guys at Candlepower forums to thank for recommending the light to me. I am sure their are better lights out there now but that Streamlight is tough.
                        Last edited by Tyman; 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          I have carried a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon on my side daily for four years now. The light is tough and it has been abused, dropped in water and been in -20° weather for hours. A set of batteries lasts me about two weeks and I used the light daily. I bought a all black one the first time then bought a yellow one so I can see it better.

http://www.brightguy.com/products/St...Flashlight.php

The best thing about it is that it takes AA batteries which you can get pretty much anywhere. I have the guys at Candlepower forums to thank for recommending the light to me. I am sure their are better lights out there now but that Streamlight is tough.
                          Ty, I have that flashlight and it is rock solid. There are brighter flashlights with multifunctions, but the one you have does what it is supposed to very well. Consider a set of hybrid, or precharged NIMH AA batteries. They hold a charge a long time and will pay for themselves many times over compared to disposable alkaline batteries.

Comment

I got a Fenix LD10 for Christmas from my brother. This is a single AA LED light, with output from 9-120 lumens. What a nice light! It is programmable, so I keep it so it comes on at its lowest setting. If I need it brighter, I just tap on the tail switch.

I also have a Leatherman Monarch 300 single AAA that came in a Leatherman combo kit, along with a dozen or more Maglites (from Mini to 5 D-cell), Surefire, and no-name lights. I think anything else I get from here out will be a programmable LED. They cost more, but sure are versatile.

I've also switched from alkalines and rechargeable nicads to Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries. They come pre-charged, and have a much longer shelf life than most rechargeables. Something like 85% charge after a year.
                            Last edited by smorris; 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM.
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                              I got a Fenix LD10 for Christmas from my brother. This is a single AA LED light, with output from 9-120 lumens. What a nice light! It is programmable, so I keep it so it comes on at its lowest setting. If I need it brighter, I just tap on the tail switch.

I also have a Leatherman Monarch 300 single AAA that came in a Leatherman combo kit, along with a dozen or more Maglites (from Mini to 5 D-cell), Surefire, and no-name lights. I think anything else I get from here out will be a programmable LED. They cost more, but sure are versatile.

I've also switched from alkalines and rechargeable nicads to Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries. They come pre-charged, and have a much longer shelf life than most rechargeables. Something like 85% charge after a year.
                              Nice flashlight, great Brother! Maglite is a very good quality product, but the multifunction, brightness and compact size of many other brands has lead mine to collect a lot of dust. Fenix, Jetbeam and some of the other top brands are too pricy for my wallet but I know they are well worth the money. My top quality LED's are Olight T-20 and a Tiablo MA-1. I carry a Ultrafire C3 in my shirt pocekt and it's been very handy. I"'m saving up for the Jetbeam RRT-0. The advancements are impressive. I recently picked up a package of Duracell precharged AA and AAA NIMH batteries from Costco. The Sanyo Eneloops get godd reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X