X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katrina New Orleans vs. Haiti Earthquake

How many countries put men on the ground in the U.S. when New Orleans was flooded by Katrina?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Katrina New Orleans vs. Haiti Earthquake

I think it would probably be best to close this thread before it gets going.

Comment

I started to put this little guy in my first post.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        How many countries put men on the ground in the U.S. when New Orleans was flooded by Katrina?

Thanks.

J.C.
        You would be suprised how many donations from other countries, and which countries those were, the U.S. government turned away. in the wake of Katrina.
        Saudi Arabia was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
          You would be suprised how many donations from other countries, and which countries those were, the U.S. government turned away. in the wake of Katrina.
          Saudi Arabia was one of them.
          Respectfully, I want to know what countries have put men & women on the ground to help the U.S. in time of need.

J.C.

Comment

Most counrties only have enough forces to patrol their own trade routes. They have neither the budget, nor the size of a military to be able to send a significant number of people to a neighboring country anyway.

Besides, it wasn't like we needed their help anyway. We were our own worst enemy to begin with. The state government refused to make the call to D.C. to send in troops. Instead they opted to simply take the Federal money to fund their own initiatives. Otherwise the Feds would have sent troops that the local governments would have zero control over. We all saw how well THAT FIRST option worked out.

You know it's bad when the President has to make a SECOND trip to a disaster site on US soil.

Comment

Most counrties only have enough forces to patrol their own trade routes. They have neither the budget, nor the size of a military to be able to send a significant number of people to a neighboring country anyway.

Besides, it wasn't like we needed their help anyway. We were our own worst enemy to begin with. The state government refused to make the call to D.C. to send in troops. Instead they opted to simply take the Federal money to fund their own initiatives. Otherwise the Feds would have sent troops that the local governments would have zero control over. We all saw how well THAT FIRST option worked out.

You know it's bad when the President has to make a SECOND trip to a disaster site on US soil.
              Thanks, but it sounds like so far that the answer is zero. Not one country has brought men or women here to help the U.S. in a time of crisis while the U.S. sends people many places in bad times. Meanwhile I hear other countries bad mouthing the U.S.

Right? Wrong?

J.C.

Comment

Thanks, but it sounds like so far that the answer is zero. Not one country has brought men or women here to help the U.S. in a time of crisis while the U.S. sends people many places in bad times. Meanwhile I hear other countries bad mouthing the U.S.

Right? Wrong?

J.C.
                Why would they troops if the U.S. government was refusing their money?
                At any rate, if they did send people over, I highly doubt they would speak English, and given the region, they would more likely speak French, however their vocabolary would be limited to broken phrases like:
                "Bonjour! Je'mapelle Francrios. Je suis omlet du frommage!"
                Last edited by tailgunner; 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Why would they troops if the U.S. government was refusing their money?
                  I do not know. I'm also real ignorant to the "big picture" politics that may be involved.

It's just an observation I was looking at as I couldn't think of a time that others have came here to help. But I thought maybe someone else could tell me of some times that they did.

So far from what I see, bottom line is that noone puts their people here to assist.

And that is the truest form of assistance, friendship, and alliance. Not funding.

J.C.

Comment

I found something interesting on this.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=13051

Comment

Here's some for Haiti.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...qC2Soo8rlOR9-Q

Comment

Thanks.

J.C.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ricane_Katrina

Comment

Some more.

http://www.citizensforethics.org/fil...entSummary.pdf

Comment

JC,

You're right. The number is zero, AFAIK. (edit - I wasn't aware of the help from the nations enumerated above. I stand corrected and pleased to be shown wrong!).

It's a sad statement. But I suggest that maybe the problem lies with the US, not with the foreign countries. We will sometimes use our military for a strike or even go to war over stuff that (IMO) doesn't warrant a war, but in most every case short of that, our politicians allow the United States to be taken advantage of. No one respects someone that they can push around.

We are not perfect, to be sure. Personally, I bleed red white and blue but I'm also a realist. Our government has done things that do not make me proud. On the other hand, considering that Europe and the rest of the free world would be speaking German or Russian by now if it wasn't for the United States, I agree that we deserve respect we aren't getting... and you're right, we haven't really got a lot of friends.

When it comes to aid for Haiti and other natural disasters, perhaps our politician have ulterior motives. But the American people on the whole are IMO very generous. We as a group of people want the USA to conduct a significant relief effort, because we want to help *the people that are suffering* - not their governments. It is important to sometimes prop up the governement to preclude a state of total anarchy (almost the case anyway in a place like Haiti, but bound to be worse without some sort of authority).

In other words, I think you make a good and valid point. The lack of respect we get certainly does matter, and the US needs to start demanding some repect and consideration from other governments...... BUT, in the context of what WE do in response to an emergency to help people, I don't think it matters.

Just my take on it.
                            Last edited by Andy_M; 01-16-2010, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I wonder what Haiti's president is on vacation now or attending campaign fund raisers or presenting birthday cakes to fellow politicians? Perhaps he'll fly over and take a look. Then he'll roll up his sleeves and tell someone how great of a job they are doing.

The US leads the world when it comes to being first in lending a helping hand and I hope it remains that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X