Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stoopid question - Helly Hansen socks/gear; who has it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoopid question - Helly Hansen socks/gear; who has it?

Hey all,

Stupid question here (I posted it here because I think it only really fits here; it's definitely not really a tool question, but I figured some may be able to help with my quandry) - who of you have Helly Hansen socks and/or other workwear or gear? What's the longevity like? Wear and tear, etc.?

I've just stumbled across some Helly Hansen PolyWool Thermal socks (style # F450, in navy blue) and Helly Hansen Polypropylene Liner socks (style # F455, in navy blue). These socks (one thick for sub-freezing temps, and the other thinner for summer wear) sure seem to be the bees knees. I'm interested in these as work wear socks for wearing with my duty boots when I go into the Military Police. I've had other specialty polypro socks for Search And Rescue wear - but they've all been extraordinarily expensive, but well worth it. But those are worn few and far between. I'm looking at these HH socks for regular duty wear - as the saying goes, dry and warm feet make me happy (I said that ).

But, these socks are $20 a pop. Now, if they're long lasting and are resistant to wear and tear, then that would be worth it to me. I know all the technical advantages to polypro and similar fibres/materials. But I'm wondering if these socks (brand, material, etc.) are prone to premature damage and wearing and tearing.

I'm looking for people's experience with these, as if I go away for a bit, then I'd want to pick up 5 or 6 pairs of these so I'm good to go. But, I don't want to spend over $100 on socks (!) of all things, only to have them be crap in the long run.

Does anyone have any workwear experience with these? Any info to pass along?

Re: Stoopid question - Helly Hansen socks/gear; who has it?

Anybody??

Comment

Talking to yourself is nothing to be worried about Kieth.
      It's when you....

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        Does anyone have any workwear experience with these? Any info to pass along?

Dude, if they're half as good as the Under Armour socks I wear, then it's worth the dough. The marine supply stores swear by the Helly stuff - the oil rig guys out West load up on the stuff before going out. From a layer standpoint, if your base layer sucks, then no matter how many layers you have on you'll be uncomfortable.

When you've got something right next to your skin, it needs to wick properly to keep your feet dry and comfy - especially important if the shoes or boots don't have a breathable component.

I like cotton in most things, but I've found that the spandex/synthetic-type blends in feet and underwear stuff is awesome for comfort and range of movement. Under Armour, for example, gets it's name from SWAT guys who need something cool or warm(depending on the season) to wear under vests, flak jacket, etc.

The Under Armour stuff is expensive, and the Helly perhaps moreso. But, as in most cases, you get what you pay for.
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          Dude, if they're half as good as the Under Armour socks I wear, then it's worth the dough. The marine supply stores swear by the Helly stuff - the oil rig guys out West load up on the stuff before going out. From a layer standpoint, if your base layer sucks, then no matter how many layers you have on you'll be uncomfortable.

When you've got something right next to your skin, it needs to wick properly to keep your feet dry and comfy - especially important if the shoes or boots don't have a breathable component.

I like cotton in most things, but I've found that the spandex/synthetic-type blends in feet and underwear stuff is awesome for comfort and range of movement. Under Armour, for example, gets it's name from SWAT guys who need something cool or warm(depending on the season) to wear under vests, flak jacket, etc.

The Under Armour stuff is expensive, and the Helly perhaps moreso. But, as in most cases, you get what you pay for.
          Thanks, TM. Yeah, doing SAR stuff, I know all about wicking and layering, etc. But thanks for the heads up on that.

Actually, cotton for socks is a big no-no, unless you're going to change them very frequently - the cotton fibers absorb the moisture, and cause blisters. Under Armour actually started as football gear - that's where the name came from more than from law enforcement. But, it has huge uses with both. (There is obviously a major drawback with no flame resistance, for law enforcement and military use). I've got about 25 or 30 different Under Armour items - from my SAR duty-wear, to my hunting stuff, to a golf shirt. I've got about 7 or 8 of the Under Armour HeatGear t-shirts to wear under uniform shirts for summertime comfort, and just as many of the ColdGear items for wintertime. But that stuff is worth it's weight in gold - most of them last me 4 or 5 years a piece right now, with regular wear, before needing replacement. The product performance, AND the longevity is there. But I want to know if it's the same with the HH socks.

And I have picked up a pair of these Helly Hansen socks, as we do use other polypropylene and/or merino wool stuff in SAR. But I'm more concerned about longevity and the general quality of the product. If I'm looking at picking up 6 or more additional pairs, at $20 a pop, I want to ensure that the longterm wear and longevity is there for them. I know the performance is there, but I don't want a sock that's only going to last me 3 months or so. Most outdoors/work socks, with regular/moderate use, should last you a year or so, if not longer. Hell, I have some merino wool hiking socks that are years old, with no holes or anything. But these are only worn two or three times a month on average. My gym socks, each pair worn once a week or so, last me about 2 years before they need replacing due to rips/tears/holes/etc. The same usually goes for my other general wear socks - around 2 years, with each pair worn once every week or two. I have size 13 pontoons...er, feet, so I tend to have them fairly stretched out and prone to damage, I guess.

I want to know if these HH socks, which are looking at being worn in duty boots once a week or so, will last me for a year or more without holes/damage. I don't want to shill out mucho dineros on these, and then to maybe get shipped out for a duty posting over in Kabul or something like that, and then have these socks fall apart on me, and me being screwed by not being able to be at home and buy more for upwards of 2 or 3 months.
          Last edited by canucksartech; 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: Addition.

Comment

Funny - talking about socks in a tool forum.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Working...
              X