X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Insect Problem

Same thing here. They inspect things at the border in and out - they way it is here now is that no wood (pallets, firewood, junk wood, etc.) from a contaminated zone/county to be shipped out of it, and none brought in to a clean zone/county from an unknown location, unless it's specially inspected and certified for import (like specialty wood orders for sawmills, etc.)

See, the problem with "kiln dried" is that it is more of a sales pitch than anything. Kiln dried wood isn't like it used to be. They get the furnace/kiln up to the peak temp, run the wood through it, and then zip it right out. They don't bake the wood in the kilns like they used to. Anymore, for the past number of years, kiln dried wood is almost as wet, sappy, and untreated as non-kilned wood. It's a joke. If it's like that with the sap/moisture in the wood, I'm sure that "kiln drying" the wood isn't doing anything near what it needs to be to kill any larvae/eggs/bugs in it from the Asian Longhorned Beetle or from the Emerald Ash Borer.

Comment

I was mistaken, the bug is actually the Wester conifer seed bug", look like the Asian Longhorned beetle but is not problem to people or trees.Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thanks, Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I was mistaken, the bug is actually the Wester conifer seed bug", look like the Asian Longhorned beetle but is not problem to people or trees.Sorry to waste everyone's time. Thanks, Frank.
        LOL. "D'OH!!!!!!!"

Hey, look at the bright side - at least we all know a little bit more about a couple particular bugs!

Comment

Working...
        X