X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Insect Problem

Late in the Fall I started to notice these strange bugs on the outside of my house and a few inside. I have never seen this particular bug, so I did some research and here are the results. Very difficult if not impossible to eradicate these invading species if the have no natural enemies in our climate.
    http://www.asian-longhorned-beetle.com/

Re: New Insect Problem

Another lousy import from China.

Comment

Franki,

I forget where in the country you live, but I think you need to contact your municipality or local agricultural/arborist to bring attention to this before it spreads too far. Here in my region, I'd call Cornell Cooperative for directions.

I do see there is a contact and help link from that website.

Good Luck,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Franki,

I forget where in the country you live, but I think you need to contact your municipality or local agricultural/arborist to bring attention to this before it spreads too far. Here in my region, I'd call Cornell Cooperative for directions.

I do see there is a contact and help link from that website.

Good Luck,

CWS
        Thanks for the suggestion. I read in the article that they destroy affected trees and if that's true it could be a big problem and job. These species that are not native can cause a lot of damage. I'll make some calls. Thanks, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
          Another lousy import from China.

Well played, dear sir! That was a zinger! I needed a good laugh.

Comment

Yeah, we have those up here in southwestern Ontario, Frankie. Those and the Emerald Ash Borer. They tried to do a whole eradication program of sprays, cutting trees over a few kilometer wide swath, etc. Didn't work.

I found one tried and true thing that kills them - my chimena / outdoor fireplace.

Comment

I had beetles atack my japanese cherry trees a couple seasons ago, but I was able to spray and save the trees. These insects sound bad and I'd hate to lose these trees I've cared for over the years.

Comment

I've seen them here in west Tn. Thanks for the heads up. Any more that I encounter will become headless.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Frankie, where in the U.S. do you live? Are there a large amount of maple and hardwood trees in your neck of the woods?

If so, here's a great webpage about the issue...

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/asian-long-horn-beetle.htm

Yes, it's from Toronto, and a bit Canadian-centric in it's info and solutions. For example, reporting phone numbers will be different for your particular area. But it give some great pictures, explainations, details, info on the bug, what to do, etc.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    Frankie, where in the U.S. do you live? Are there a large amount of maple and hardwood trees in your neck of the woods?

If so, here's a great webpage about the issue...

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/asian-long-horn-beetle.htm

Yes, it's from Toronto, and a bit Canadian-centric in it's info and solutions. For example, reporting phone numbers will be different for your particular area. But it give some great pictures, explainations, details, info on the bug, what to do, etc.

Hope it helps.
                    I live in Ct and yes, plenty of maples and hardwoods. Thanks

Comment

That link was very informative. I checked my trees and did not see any signs of infestation, but they have to be somewhere if I'm seeing them around the house? Now I know what they're called and I'll keep checking. Thanks again.

Comment

If you don't see any infestation in your actual trees, you may be lucky still. But they generally get moved into an area with lumber. If you're seeing them around your house, have you had any construction done on it, or has there been any new construction around your neighbourhood? These are notorious for travelling with wood products, like pallets, firewood, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                          If you don't see any infestation in your actual trees, you may be lucky still. But they generally get moved into an area with lumber. If you're seeing them around your house, have you had any construction done on it, or has there been any new construction around your neighbourhood? These are notorious for travelling with wood products, like pallets, firewood, etc.
                          Nothing going on at my house, but there are always repairs around the neighborhood. I will keep an eye out as the weather warms up, not just on my property but around the area. We have a lot of very tall trees, and if they are endanger due to this insect, people and property could be at risk. Glad I posted and that you responded, because I didn't realize the extent of the problem. Thanks.

Comment

I've noticed them here too, just killed one buzzing around my desk.

NYS actually has a new law that makes it illegal to move non-kiln dried firewood more than 50 miles from its source to help deal with this and EAB.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              I've noticed them here too, just killed one buzzing around my desk.

NYS actually has a new law that makes it illegal to move non-kiln dried firewood more than 50 miles from its source to help deal with this and EAB.
                              I believe NJ has done the same.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X