Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama scales back presidency goals for the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yiQX...rec-rn-1r-2-HM

Finally, something reasonable, and some common sense, spewed forth from our elected officials!

Re: Obama scales back presidency goals for the US

And there goes the vote out the window.....

J.C.

Comment

Animal Farm ? Some animals are More equal than the rest ??????????
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I love the onion.

Comment

Now I am all confused, I'm not sure if this is a political thread or not. I have always liked the Onion so I will let Josh decide.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Did you catch the line "Not calling your waitress a Cu-T"? That kind of language belongs at home, not here!
            No matter who is in power, democrat or republican, there will be critism and humor. I prefer to avoid the politics, very disappointing to realize folks are not who you thought they were. You guys have fun proving who is right and who needs to be attacked. I have more important insect probems to resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Did you catch the line "Not calling your waitress a Cu-T"? That kind of language belongs at home, not here!
              No matter who is in power, democrat or republican, there will be critism and humor. I prefer to avoid the politics, very disappointing to realize folks are not who you thought they were. You guys have fun proving who is right and who needs to be attacked. I have more important insect probems to resolve.

What kind of home are you living in?

Then again, try calling the insects that and they might leave..................
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                What kind of home are you living in?

Then again, try calling the insects that and they might leave..................
                This is very close to my home life, lively, yeah, lively. Dinner time to a T. Watching DeNiro is like looking in a mirror.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mixDbglVzE
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

I must have missed that part. Though I do find it increasingly difficult to tell the difference between The Onion and say, MSNBC.

Comment

Ahhh, The Onion. It's taken over where Saturday Night Live and Bill Maher and The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart have all left off. No stone unturned! No guts, no glory! And no politician left un-tarred & un-feathered!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      Ahhh, The Onion. It's taken over where Saturday Night Live and Bill Maher and The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart have all left off. No stone unturned! No guts, no glory! And no politician left un-tarred & un-feathered!
                      Sadly, these outlets put the traditional fourth estate to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                        Even worse, some can't tell the difference between the two anymore.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                          But these outlets are intentionally MADE to be tongue in cheek, and I don't feel that we can blame them, or say that are putting the "real" news to "shame". They're gleefully making fun of the over-the-top, extreme fanaticalism that politics and "the news" tends to incite in people. Case in point? Political conversations on here, and the fallout that we've all been discussing about it this past few days or so. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

While I don't disagree with your observations, fellas (both good points), unfortunately the media has been it's own worst enemy. There is indeed nothing left of the "traditional fourth estate" anymore. The main goal behind the news (unbiased and unfiltered spreading of information to the masses) has been mutated by the quest for ratings, market share, branding, shareholder profit, etc. And this has led to people blindly agreeing/under the influence/etc., and not making their own educated and unbiased decisions based on each individual case and it's own individual facts and merits.

Even our own CBC is unfortunately slowly starting to steer down the same path. It, like the BBC, has been a steadfast in the unbiased nature of things. Hopefully things can correct themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                            I actually think that the Daily show is more unbiased than most network news.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              I actually think that the Daily show is more unbiased than most network news.
                              The traditional media (including Fox) lets their interview subjects repeat their talking points. Stewart asks the questions the rest of us would ask these folks if we were sitting in his seat. He is fair and balanced but doesn't let the guest weasel out giving a revealing answer.

Of course when someone asks a tough question they skewered for springing a trap (What newspapers do you read?). How dare anyone ask a spontaneous, rudimentary question.

Stewart gets away with it, I think, because he is fair about the situation. He lets the guest hawk their wares, he's friendly with them, doesn't call them pinheads or attack them personally. Yet he will challenge the guest to support their perspective sans talking points or the conventional jargon.

Colbert, who I find hilarious, is an equal opportunity satirist. My all time favorite interview was when he interview O'Reilly. At one point during the interview, O'Reilly said of himself "This is just an act.". Without missing a beat, Collbert replied "If you're just an act, then what am I?".

To the uninitiated, Colbert's on air personality is a caricature of Bill-O. And of course Bill-O is a caricature of Ted Baxter.

Comment

Working...
                              X