Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Any News from the International Builders Show in Las Vegas (January 2010)? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any News from the International Builders Show in Las Vegas (January 2010)?

Okay, so it's time to change the nature of some of these threads the last week or so. A lot of bickering and whining. I, of course, have held my head above it all - I'm an angel, damnit!

Anywho, the International Builders Show was this week in Las Vegas. It's just finishing up today I guess (Friday, Jan. 22nd). I'm interested to see what this spring may bring about for tool and reno stuff. I think with an impending market rebound within the next year or so, things are going to start ramping up again on the renovation and home improvements front. It could be a very interesting year for products and new releases - now, more than ever, consumers are going to be more wary of marketing hype. They're going to want "real world" numbers, not "best/peak performance" pie-in-the-sky references. They're going to want the ultimate best bang for the buck - lots of product features and convenience, but also with product longevity and immediate value. So, I'm curious to see what companies/developers will come out with to meet this market trend.

Does anyone have any news or interesting stuff for us to know about? ProBrand, can you let us in on the know for any new Ridgid stuff that we may not already know about? Anyone from here have the chance to go to the IBS? What interesting news have you found/heard about/received from your vendors/suppliers?

Do tell.

Re: Any News from the International Builders Show in Las Vegas (January 2010)?

I'll start things off.

One thing I did find was about new CFL-capable dimmer slides from Leviton...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/a1broa...web3485514.htm

That's a welcome addition, IMO. The only room I don't have CFL's in is in my basement family room. It's our main room for watching TV and movies and such - so we have a three-way dimmer installed down there, to be able to set the "mood" and lighting to the right ambiance. I myself have tried putting the dimmable CFL's in the wall sconces, and they sucked. But, with the energy savings of CFL's, I'd love to put them in. My whole house is CFL or LED lighting - even all of my outside lighting (yes, in super sub-freezing temps) is CFL stuff.

I just hope they come out with this slide dimmer in a 2-way switch configuration, so that it will work with my setup for multiple switch controls.

Comment

There's THIS & THIS & THIS from the posts in the Twitter Forum. No information has been posted yet though.

Comment

Article from Popular Mechanics.

"Ridgid's new jigsaw's "debris management system," and how an "optimized volute" above a new random-orbital sander pad had improved dust collection to a stunning 90 percent."

"A new table saw included a clever cubby for its rip fence; a debut JobMax tool set combined multiple interchangeable heads on a single 12-volt handle like a five-faced power-tool hydra."

Comment

I wish we could find out some more info on the 12v job max tool. That looks real interesting to me. I have been wanting a multi-master type tool for some time. This would be great with my 12v tools I already have (if it is any good, I haven't had much luck with interchangeable tools.)

Does anyone have an idea as to when this may be coming out and the price?

The slim grip grinder looks cool too but I am wondering how it would handle in two hand operations.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mdm View Post
            There's THIS & THIS & THIS from the posts in the Twitter Forum. No information has been posted yet though.
            Awesome. That "slimgrip angle grinder" looks like the body of it has a very similar contour basis to the one-handed recip. Methinks this bodes well for a cordless, 18 volt battery operated version of it then, similar to what was done with the one-handed recip.

And that 12 volt system looks neat. Glad to see the interchangability with the different heads. It might not be the greatest idea for a person who only needs/wants one of the particular heads though. But I'm glad to see that the 12-volt battery looks to be the exact same as the current 12V lithium ion - which is nice, because that then lets you use the same charger and batteries as the other 12 volt stuff out (drill/driver, impact, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by mdm View Post
              Article from Popular Mechanics.

"Ridgid's new jigsaw's "debris management system," and how an "optimized volute" above a new random-orbital sander pad had improved dust collection to a stunning 90 percent."

"A new table saw included a clever cubby for its rip fence; a debut JobMax tool set combined multiple interchangeable heads on a single 12-volt handle like a five-faced power-tool hydra."
              Gawd. At first glance, I almost thought that the "Elvis" in the picture was ProBrand all dolled up.

Comment

Man, just checking out Popular Mechanics other blog stuff on the IBS, and some of this stuff looks awesome...

This Rockwell rotary hammer looks kick-butt. Now THAT would be something that would be great to see Ridgid have come out with to match in with the 12 volt line also:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/4343109.html

Comment

Found some more info with a price.

Comment

Hey, $199 isn't bad, as long as it's a kit without the little drill that's already out, and is instead with the four different attachments that's shown in the other pictures. It's interested that this article only says two attachments, when all the other photos show four. But it's nice to know what the different heads are that's pictured - drill head, impact, auto-hammer, and oscilating multi-tool. Sounds like a cool little thing.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      Hey, $199 isn't bad, as long as it's a kit without the little drill that's already out, and is instead with the four different attachments that's shown in the other pictures. It's interested that this article only says two attachments, when all the other photos show four. But it's nice to know what the different heads are that's pictured - drill head, impact, auto-hammer, and oscilating multi-tool. Sounds like a cool little thing.
                      looks like there is an angle drill, angle impact driver, and a power ratchet as well

Comment

Working...
                      X