Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan O'Brien is stickin' it to NBC!!!

From USA Today:
    Conan O'Brien zinger on NBC's The Tonight Show: Bugatti dressed as a mouse

Tonight is Conan O'Brien's last night as host of NBC's The Tonight Show. No one would begrudge him a bit of bitterness over his departure, but he's taking it in stride. And he's launched a gag in which he shoots off a few expensive zingers on his way out the door.
    On
    Tonight is Conan O'Brien's last night as host of the The Tonight Show.

CAPTION
    By Paul Drinkwater, NBC

Wednesday night, he introduced new comedy bits "that aren't so much funny as they are expensive," the joke being that he's going to bleed NBC. That included rolling out a Bugatti Veyron, which claims to be the world's most expensive car, onto the stage, decorated as a mouse. (Watch the video here.) The Veyron, which Conan claimed cost NBC $1.5 million (in fact, you can spend up about $1.7 million for the 235-mph exotic). In fact, Conan got a deal on the Bugatti:

The car was a loaner -- Petersen Automotive Museum has confirmed it provided the car, so NBC only had to pay whatever expenses were involved.
    But details, schmetails. It was funny.
    "The good news is, until NBC yanks us off the air, we can pretty much do whatever we want," O'Brien told the audience. "And here's the beautiful part: We do whatever we want, and they have to pay for it."
    Thursday night's expensive skit included 2009 Kentucky Derby winner "Mine That Bird" wearing a mink Snuggie and watching restricted NFL Superbowl footage. Total cost: $4.8 million. (Although for all we know, it could've been an equine actor.)
    -- Sharon Silke Carty/Drive On

Re: Conan O'Brien is stickin' it to NBC!!!

Funny as hell. You can just tell that the guy is having a blast!

"What's that NBC? You're going to muzzle me? Well, that's okay! I'm gonna shove it to you anyways!!!"

I can't wait to see what he's going to do tonight (Friday) - it's supposed to be his last night, I guess. Go get 'em, Conan!!!

Comment

I've never been a fan of Conan's. I just don't care for his style but those clips were funny as he!!.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I hope he is not serious about the price tag of those gags. If it's true that the network is having to cough up that much money, that just rubs me the wrong way. If he wants to go off with a bang and leave me feeling good about him, why doesn't he figure out how to donate 6.3 Million Dollars to the Red Cross to fund relief efforts in Haiti!

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
          I hope he is not serious about the price tag of those gags. If it's true that the network is having to cough up that much money, that just rubs me the wrong way. If he wants to go off with a bang and leave me feeling good about him, why doesn't he figure out how to donate 6.3 Million Dollars to the Red Cross to fund relief efforts in Haiti!

He's comedic act did exactly what he was trying to do; create discussion and controversy about those stunts, and it worked.

I watched his last show tonight, thought his heartfelt statements were solid as a rock. The music chosen for his departure was perfect, and he did good by standing his ground to not get pushed back out of that time slot.

He's got 7 months now to realign and recreate himself in many ways and become part of the nightscape once again.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
            They were just jokes and he borrowed the stuff for the joke.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I never did care for Conan never watched his show clear through once, even tho I had watched the show with Jay many times, but for some reason never got into watching Jay in the earlier slot, I did see it some but not often,

I think I would be able to do OK on his severance pay tho,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Last nights was pretty good. He had some fossilized skeleton from the Smithsonian Museum, spraying beluga caviar, on an original paining from Picasso. "Cost" to NBC? Forty-some million dollars!!!!!

And no, Cisco, he did not actually spend all that money. All the stuff was either borrowed or props for the sake of the jokes. He said so on last night's show, due to some concern over the "real costs". Classic tongue-in-cheek, nonetheless.

I never was a huge fan of him. Certain things he's done over the years were good. You really need to have a taste for his act. I myself am a bigger fan of Letterman. But I really don't like Leno - I find him too fake and line-reading. I don't really watch any of the late-nights too regularly anyway - I only usually catch one or two Letterman's a month, and maybe only one Conan show every month or two.

But, you have to admit, this guy has been pure class through this whole ordeal. He's kept his mouth shut, hasn't been feeding into all the tabloid stuff, hasn't badmouthed Leno through it all (of which, Jay could have been more of a man, and told NBC "no" himself, rather than helping to give Conan the shove too), and Conan has been a real professional in this business debauchery. Good on him too - he'll gain a huge advantage from all of this for next fall.

Comment

I don't watch any of them too much since Johnny left the scene. He was damn good!
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                  X