Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trade Deficit Question?

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
    It is eventual China will evolve. Freedom is too enticing to those who don't have it, it is only a matter of time before they will fight for it.
    I've had conversations with my Mrs. on this very aspect. It WILL happen, as you stated, it just depends on the timeline. Regimes only last so long before a revolution/change can happen - and, unfortunately with regimes/dictatorships, it can too often be a violent and bloody thing.

So, when it does happen in China, I think that the odds are that an oppressed and held-down people will rise up against their government in due time (within 5 to 20 years isn't that unlikely). If we're all lucky, the government will buckle under the sheer pressure of the huge numbers of the Chinese people. BUT, if the Chinese government acts like it's known to act (similar to that of North Korea's dictatorship), then they may "fight to the last", and use the full might of the Chinese government's military to try to hold back their people, and retain their grasp on power. True, change can happen peacefully and democratically, but this just may not be a possibility with China - as much as it may be the preferred thing.

I fear it will be a potentially likely thing, and a very scary thing, for there to be a Chinese civil war. Can you imagine the ripples felt worldwide on the global economy if China were to implode in on itself??!!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      Can you imagine the ripples felt worldwide on the global economy if China were to implode in on itself??!!
      This would be far more dire than the US falling into a depression or becoming a second world country.

Governments do not need to use force to keep the population under control. Force is the tool of choice for repressive regimes lead by unimaginative leaders.

Look at our own political leaders. One side openly espouses corporatism while the other gives lip service to populism but secretly is every bit as corporatist as the other side.

Both parties use Machiavellian tactics rather than the business end of a gun to maintain power. And that is largely the difference between China and the US. Any right that the government can take away was not a right in the first place. The 4th amendment no longer applies.
      Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-28-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Let me put it this way - Made in the USA will be VERY popular in the future because we will be the ones putting forth the cheap labor.

You can thank the sellout politicians and supreme court justices we have had for the past 50+ years. If you vote for a mainstream republican or democrat you're only voting for a continuation of the same old crap and you are partially responsible yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
          Let me put it this way - Made in the USA will be VERY popular in the future because we will be the ones putting forth the cheap labor.

You can thank the sellout politicians and supreme court justices we have had for the past 50+ years. If you vote for a mainstream republican or democrat you're only voting for a continuation of the same old crap and you are partially responsible yourself.
          I agree with the second part of your post, but can you imagine an America where workers make less than $5.00 a day? That's what it would take to compete with the third world slave labor, and even then how could we operate any manufacturing plants that could run as cheaply?
          I could be wrong, but if our standard of living sinks to that of the thrid world today, who could afford all the cell phones, ipods, laptops, big screen tv's, cars and the rest of the things we buy that support those businesses?
          Do folks who are considering these scenarios think the third world is currently ready or will be ready to take up our consumer slack before we self destruct?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Tony, I think we are victims of apathy and misplaced trust in our legislators. We are also living proof that capitalism taken to it's practical end game destroys the base that supported it. Asia won't suffer the same fate, not because they will squander inheritance or get fat and lazy as some mistakenly theorize. Asia will not follow our history because they will not extend rights and freedoms to their masses. The opressive will inherit the earth, while those who fought against communism and brutality will be forgotten. Don't fool yourself into thiniking Asia was built on superior work ethic and human kindness. They will never have what some of us take for granted, and it is not in the form of cars and other luxury items.
            Frank your to pessimistic eventally China will evolve into some type of democracy as they will not be able to hold back their youth who are being brought up in a totally differant world to their grandfathers and fathers and the little red book and the U.S. will move back a couple of paces as England did when the U.S. pushed them back earlier last century it is just evolution of civilisations which has been happening since time began and you just have to accept it but you my be lucky it won`t happen in your life time.

Tony

Comment

I could be wrong, but if our standard of living sinks to that of the thrid world today, who could afford all the cell phones, ipods, laptops, big screen tv's, cars and the rest of the things we buy that support those businesses?
              Do folks who are considering these scenarios think the third world is currently ready or will be ready to take up our consumer slack before we self destruct?
              First, you are assuming that our place in the world is guaranteed and that every other country is willing to defer their economic interests to continue our standard of living.

We won't become a third world nation. At least not in the foreseeable future. Will we lose our stature and cache in the world? Already happening.

As for the US becoming an eventual source of cheap labor, this is an eventual conclusion of unbridled capitalism. It's a race to the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                Frank your to pessimistic eventally China will evolve into some type of democracy as they will not be able to hold back their youth who are being brought up in a totally differant world to their grandfathers and fathers and the little red book and the U.S. will move back a couple of paces as England did when the U.S. pushed them back earlier last century it is just evolution of civilisations which has been happening since time began and you just have to accept it but you my be lucky it won`t happen in your life time.

Tony
                Opinons vary, I think I'm a realist.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeglesB0qDk
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-29-2010, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                  First, you are assuming that our place in the world is guaranteed and that every other country is willing to defer their economic interests to continue our standard of living.

We won't become a third world nation. At least not in the foreseeable future. Will we lose our stature and cache in the world? Already happening.

As for the US becoming an eventual source of cheap labor, this is an eventual conclusion of unbridled capitalism. It's a race to the bottom.
                  My assumptions, conclusions and opinons, are as guaranteed as yours. We are speculating on what might happen. Given our current situation, I don't have a very positive outlook for the future. Maybe that is something we can agree on, unless you think that's a good thing?

Comment

My assumptions, conclusions and opinons, are as guaranteed as yours. We are speculating on what might happen. Given our current situation, I don't have a very positive outlook for the future. Maybe that is something we can agree on, unless you think that's a good thing?
                    I agree that agreeing is a good thing.

Comment

I agree that steak is a good thing. Mmmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                      X