Trade Deficit Question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Deficit Question?

I know the trade deficit is said to be about one trillion dollars, but I was wondering if anyone knows the total dollar amount that figure has on our economy? In other words when the cost of unemployment for American workers and the loss of tax revenue for businesses that have left our country are totaled, does that trillion dollar amount double, triple? I'm sure there are other things that would figure into such a total such as loss to utilities and local businesses, but I'm curious if such figures are readily available or just too spread out to compile? Thanks.

Re: Trade Deficit Question?

A large percentage of the trade deficit (close to half) is oil.

If we just eliminate taxes on corporations, their products will be competitively priced and then they'll have to hire more workers.

Now that corporations have virtually the same rights as natural persons (specifically the 1st, 4th, 5th, 14th amendments) it is simply a matter of time until corporations start running for elected office. Think not? What would legally prevent a corporation from getting on a ballot?

Trade deficit is irrelevant in the global economy. It may matter to the health of a particle countries economy, but the US is only around 300 million potential consumers. Europe and China are far bigger markets to conquer. Transnational corporations really do not need the US market all that much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
      A large percentage of the trade deficit (close to half) is oil.

If we just eliminate taxes on corporations, their products will be competitively priced and then they'll have to hire more workers.

Now that corporations have virtually the same rights as natural persons (specifically the 1st, 4th, 5th, 14th amendments) it is simply a matter of time until corporations start running for elected office. Think not? What would legally prevent a corporation from getting on a ballot?

Trade deficit is irrelevant in the global economy. It may matter to the health of a particle countries economy, but the US is only around 300 million potential consumers. Europe and China are far bigger markets to conquer. Transnational corporations really do not need the US market all that much anymore.
      I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I'm really not interested in europe and china as markets or the global economy. I was trying to figure out how deeply the USA economy is impacted by the loss of businesses and jobs to mexico and abroad. I know the dollar figure of the trade deficit is one trillion, but I wonder what the total loss amounts to when other factors are figured in such as unemployment, lost tax revenue and all the rest. I don't want to seem disresptful of others but communist china and europe are not my immediate concern.
      I would imagine countries that depend on our consumer dollars would suffer if and when our economy worsens. I also cannot project how we can regain a strong economy if we continue to lose jobs and depend on others for our goods?

Comment

Frank - The world view now being embraced is one where countries are seen as markets. If you were building a widget for a given market, would you choose one of the smaller markets or the largest? The global economy knows no national boundaries.

Business has little or no allegiance to a nation. Their objective is to make money. If they can make more money producing their goods and services overseas, that is where they will go. That ship has sailed and it isn't coming back.

A business isn't going to start up a factory here out of any benevolent interest in the well being of the USA. We are just a market, and when we can no longer afford their goods/services they'll either lower their margins or take their goods/services elsewhere.

Trade deficit is here to stay.
        Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
          Frank - The world view now being embraced is one where countries are seen as markets. If you were building a widget for a given market, would you choose one of the smaller markets or the largest? The global economy knows no national boundaries.

Business has little or no allegiance to a nation. Their objective is to make money. If they can make more money producing their goods and services overseas, that is where they will go. That ship has sailed and it isn't coming back.

A business isn't going to start up a factory here out of any benevolent interest in the well being of the USA. We are just a market, and when we can no longer afford their goods/services they'll either lower their margins or take their goods/services elsewhere.

Trade deficit is here to stay.
          You are pushing your opinions on global markets and trade which you are entitled to, but that was not the point of this thread. I'm pretty sure we are headed for a depression, maybe that will dmeonstrate the impact of a broken America on the world? I'll let you have the last word on whatever point you wish to make, I do think if you are right about the ship sailing it is just a matter of time until we self destruct.

Comment

The trade deficit is a moot point. Once America becomes to poor to buy goods/services, business will move on to the next market, AKA nation(s).

Change on this scale of magnitude will occur on a generation time scale. We are already seeing the emergence of markets in India and China that did not exist fifteen years ago.

The US got fat, content and lazy.

Comment

AFM (Tony), you're not being helpful. Lamb

Comment

Red China owns us, literally
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                  Red China owns us, literally
                  If that's the case we have nothing to worry about right? I mean they treat their own people very well, no complaints right? They believe in liberty and justice for all just like us, right?

Comment

I like steak! Mmmmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                      I like steak! Mmmmmmmm!

Me too!!
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        AFM (Tony), you're not being helpful. Lamb
                        To fix a problem one has to admit it and burying your head in the sand won`t the age of Asia has arrived we in the so called west have squandered our forefathers inheritance in other words we have lived beyond our means,
                        did you notice twenty years ago all you saw on their roads were bicyles and what do you see now cars every where and that is signs of wealth and there is no turning back they will want what we have taken for granted since WW11.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                          To fix a problem one has to admit it and burying your head in the sand won`t the age of Asia has arrived we in the so called west have squandered our forefathers inheritance in other words we have lived beyond our means,
                          did you notice twenty years ago all you saw on their roads were bicyles and what do you see now cars every where and that is signs of wealth and there is no turning back they will want what we have taken for granted since WW11.

Tony
                          Tony, I think we are victims of apathy and misplaced trust in our legislators. We are also living proof that capitalism taken to it's practical end game destroys the base that supported it. Asia won't suffer the same fate, not because they will squander inheritance or get fat and lazy as some mistakenly theorize. Asia will not follow our history because they will not extend rights and freedoms to their masses. The opressive will inherit the earth, while those who fought against communism and brutality will be forgotten. Don't fool yourself into thiniking Asia was built on superior work ethic and human kindness. They will never have what some of us take for granted, and it is not in the form of cars and other luxury items.

Comment

"We are also living proof that capitalism taken to it's practical end game destroys the base that supported it."

But everyone claims that free markets, unregulated markets are our savoir. That trickle down benefits everyone equally. That unchecked capitalism is the solution to every concern.

Genies out of the bottle and it isn't going back in. And now that foreigners can influence elections to their hearts content, we're toast. Thanks again to those activist, liberal judges that overturn precedence at every opportunity. Oh, wait, that's the so called conservative judges that have overturn precedence at unparalleled rates despite their claims of respecting precedence. Ha.

Sorry, but we' been sold down the river to the highest bidder. Just like global warming, you can choose to deny the SCOTUS sold us off to corporate interests and suffer the consequences, or acknowledge this simple fact and prepare accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Tony, I think we are victims of apathy and misplaced trust in our legislators. We are also living proof that capitalism taken to it's practical end game destroys the base that supported it. Asia won't suffer the same fate, not because they will squander inheritance or get fat and lazy as some mistakenly theorize. Asia will not follow our history because they will not extend rights and freedoms to their masses. The opressive will inherit the earth, while those who fought against communism and brutality will be forgotten. Don't fool yourself into thiniking Asia was built on superior work ethic and human kindness. They will never have what some of us take for granted, and it is not in the form of cars and other luxury items.
                              I think your painting Asia with a pretty broad brush there Frank. Not all countries in Asia are communist, so lets limit that discussion to China.

China, because it's relationship with the US, trading with us and making our goods has exposed it's own people to what Americans take for granted. Their ability to maintain it's communist regime has been compromised. I don't see China becoming a bastion of freedom anytime soon, what I'm saying is they have already been forced to start down that road by it's people.

We exposed them to capitalism and they embraced it. Everyday China is forced to change it's laws to accommodate that. Privately owned property, ability to move up in their workforce based on individual merit, more luxury to those who work harder, those things are happening now. It is eventual China will evolve. Freedom is too enticing to those who don't have it, it is only a matter of time before they will fight for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X