X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadliest Catch Captain Ill

Just read that Captain Phil Harris from the tv program Deadliest Catch has suffered a stroke and is in serious condition. The program has provided me with many hours of entertainment and insight. Those captains and crews work very long hard hours in punishing conditions to provide what they catch to the markets and us. My hopes and prayers go out to him and his family.

Re: Deadliest Catch Captain Ill

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Just read that Captain Phil Harris from the tv program Deadliest Catch has suffered a stroke and is in serious condition. The program has provided me with many hours of entertainment and insight. Those captains and crews work very long hard hours in punishing conditions to provide what they catch to the markets and us. My hopes and prayers go out to him and his family.
    Agreed!

I love that show, and was genuinely concerned when he had health issues a while back. Its insane what they do, and the fact that they make it as far as they do (I dont think I could last 24 hours as a greenhorn!)

Hopes and prayers from me too.

-Chris

Comment

Chris, I honestly don't think I could survive that long if the boat stayed docked! Those are some real tough guys, God Bless'em. Frank

Comment

You know they've eliminated the race don't you?

Now the Fish & Game Authority issues each boat an amount for the season. So they can take a month if they want. Or go out when the weather is predicted to be better. They don't have to go full-tilt 20 hour runs anymore right at the beginning.

Obviously if they work faster they make more. But faster typically can be more dangerous.

Just depends on what they have to make or how greedy some might be.

J.C.

Comment

captain phil is a old school guy, but he really needs to quit the cigaretts !

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Now the Fish & Game Authority issues each boat an amount for the season. So they can take a month if they want. Or go out when the weather is predicted to be better. They don't have to go full-tilt 20 hour runs anymore right at the beginning.

Obviously if they work faster they make more. But faster typically can be more dangerous.

J.C.
            It's about time. I wonder if it's because of the exposure from the show?
            Hopefully it will spread to all fishing. Too many men have died taking unnecessary risk because of the time rules. Imagine all the corners we would cut if we could only work one day a week.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              Yeah, didnt they go to quota-based a few seasons ago?

They still have the 20 to 30 hour runs because they need to make their offload dates/times. Or has that changed too?

Comment

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A spokesman for The Discovery Channel says the captain of the "Deadliest Catch" fishing vessel Cornelia Marie has died.

Capt. Phil Harris suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the boat was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. He was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

A Discovery spokesman says the Harris family contacted the network Tuesday evening with word of his death.

Few details were released; however, Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman issued a statement on behalf of Harris' sons, Jake and Josh, saying their father has "always been a fighter and continued to be until the end."

The Discovery Channel reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska. Harris' fishing vessel was based in Seattle.

Source: Bangor Daily News
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

How sad, my condolences to his family and fans.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

There were earlier reports that Capt Phil was improving, but it seems the damage to his health was too much. Sorry to see this very hard working man pass away at such a young age by today's standards. He provided a good life and real world education for his sons. He watched over his crew and did his part to bring home the catch.
                    I hope Capt Phil's sons and the other men who work in that punishing environment can live longer and healthier lives after this tragic loss. R.I.P.

Comment

That's a shame. I feel for his kids and crew. Rest in peace Phil.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

capt. phil-RIP-

Comment

The Capt, One was one cool guy and that showed rocked, Those guys are some of the hardest working men on the planet if you ask me,

I will see ya on the other side Captain
                          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Phil reminded Me of an Iron Worker I knew in another, life 30 years ago.
                            Bless You Phil and Deets. Both solid Men!
                            The fishing community will embrace Phils' family. R.I.P.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I just learned of this and it is sad. The guy was only 53, seems too short.
                              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                              X