Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will make you mad; more of the "Protect thy Own"

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010...turn-of-big-g/

In times where local and state governments are being choked down, then this tragedy comes out, just proving that times are good and secure for many, as long as you're in the right place.

And who pays these salaries? You and I with our tax dollars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201/...i_ge/us_budget

Why are we trying to hide the obvious downfall? At some point you throw a ball to the sky, it must fall.

If Bush was in office spending money like this, the reaction would be unreal.

Somebody take this ****ing checkbook away from this president before he buries us to the neck. This just keeps getting uglier and uglier every day.

I'm going to intentionally fall down a set of steps, get on disability/welfare/any other free handout so I can look at my own statements and say, "glad I don't have worry about that!" Just gimme my gubbament check! You owz me.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: This will make you mad; more of the "Protect thy Own"

Doesn't make me mad, just frustrated. I thought everyone knew that when (insert political party of choice here) spend money it's waste and greed but when (insert political party of choice here) spend money it's for the greater good.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

" That government is best , which governs least "

Henry David Throreau,s Civil Disobedience

Henry liked TEA BAGGERS
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Doesn't make me mad, just frustrated. I thought everyone knew that when (insert political party of choice here) spend money it's waste and greed but when (insert political party of choice here) spend money it's for the greater good.
        The both do a damn good job of business as usual...
        I'm looking forward to a day when a bunch of complete outsiders show up and toss out the business as usual 2 party system we now have...

It's either going to be that or a long period of political unrest in this country like we haven't seen in 234 years...
        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I'll go with necessary evil on current government spending. History has shown and top economists will tell you cutting government spending during a recession is the worst course of action possible. Obama while defiantly not showing it now is financially conservative. It is the recommendation of his economists to use the government as a tool to create jobs and that helps distribute money throughout our society.

He has already proposed a slue of government cost cutting measures including reinstating 'pay as you go' but for some reason the Republicans are now against that.

When its time for his reelection I'll look at the facts. If our economy is still in the crapper time for someone new. If the economies recovered but government spending is still up he's done his job but time for someone new. If costs are down and the economy is doing well sounds like a second term for me.

I know we'd have to look long and hard for a administration that can both grow the economy and cut costs we haven't had one of those since before that Bush guy.

Comment

The title "Largest-ever federal payroll to hit 2.15 million" is a little misleading.

I wonder what the ratio of federal employees to the population was in previous years. At 300,000,000, 1.35 million is a pretty small percentage.

Are we not also experiencing the highest population ever? I don't think we had 300,000,000 citizens back in the 90's or 80's. Populations tend to grow and services supporting the varied interests and needs of the population expand. So long as those services do not out pace the rate of growth the number is irrelevant.

I was surprised to see how little our defense department is. I think the draft should be reinstated and we should have a standing army of troops counting in the millions.

You want to cut government, where do you start? Who doesn't have a thumb in the pie? You want to cut entitlement programs? Okay, who is going to give up their entitlement? Cut departments? Which departments are you willing to have cede regulatory authority?

I'd settle for getting one or two of the federal holidays off though. That would be nice.

Comment

I won't get into the politics of all this, but I still have some thoughts and questions about our economics. How does government spending which I assume is taxpayer money, really grow the economy? The problem of American dollars leaving our economy to pay for consumer goods and debt to foreign governments is still unresolved. The government can continue to flood the economy with make work programs, but unless the holes in our bucket get plugged, won't that money just find it's way out of the USA as well? What is the economic solution if government spending does not work?

Comment

Obviously the private business sector isn't going to put people to work and pay them just so they will buy goods and services those same workers otherwise would not buy.

It isn't meant to be a long term, sustaining policy. It's like putting ether in the carb intake on the rototiller you fire up once a year. Just kind of get things going.

Hopefully.

The alternative is do nothing and hope the free market tries to address the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                  Obviously the private business sector isn't going to put people to work and pay them just so they will buy goods and services those same workers otherwise would not buy.

It isn't meant to be a long term, sustaining policy. It's like putting ether in the carb intake on the rototiller you fire up once a year. Just kind of get things going.

Hopefully.

The alternative is do nothing and hope the free market tries to address the problem.
                  If you were responding to my post, I'll say this about your rototiller, ether won't be of any help if your fuel line is full of holes! The alternative is not to do nothing. The alternative is to do what other countries have done to prevent our goods from entering their markets. They set trade limits and tariffs. The alternative is to invest in manufacturing and slowly begin to produce what we consume. Unless someone can explain or demonstrate how government spending will lead to a healthy economy, in my opinion it is just digging the hole deeper. We are operating on diminished returns, pretty soon we won't be able to borrow anymore money and without the capability to provide our own goods we will be in deep trouble. A trillion dollar trade deficit is proof there are no free, open markets.

Comment

It's OK Frankie

No borrowing needed. The U.S. Treasury says they will print more money

See?.....no more worries

Comment

You're calling for protectionism?

Who is going to invest in manufacturing here in the US?

If the private business sector thought there was money to be made here at home, they would be jumping on it. They're keeping their powder dry until people start spending money again, which they will earn by repairing our badly neglected infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                        You're calling for protectionism?

Who is going to invest in manufacturing here in the US?

If the private business sector thought there was money to be made here at home, they would be jumping on it. They're keeping their powder dry until people start spending money again, which they will earn by repairing our badly neglected infrastructure.

Who's dumb enough?

Businesses weren't built for the employee, it was built for the almighty dollar. It's not America's problem that low level non-educated folks can't all fit in Walmart's blue box.

There might be some good traditional mfg. jobs left here in the United States, but kiss that idealism that American workers will show up for work 5 days a week, not take off work because they got a "tummy-ache" or their wife's 3rd cousin had epindectomy or *** surgery, whatever you call it, and they have to take off work.

Lazy fat americans ( I wear the fat american label well) is why big business looked at each other in a corporate meeting and found out that shipping everything overseas and waiting 4 months for it to come back, assembled, was cheaper than paying the greedy american worker that has the attendance record of a drug user at high school.

Now, what should piss you off as much as me is that is exactly what it's all about. We shot ourselves in the foot, head, any other vital organ because we didn't recognize that illegals (mexicans) would be the true realization that we'd rather armchair and complain about how we don't have jobs, no work, blah blah blah and oh by the way, this crew (mexicans) work like ants and dance around our work ethic.

How obvious is it at this point in time people....? Want to close off borders? Start doing the jobs illegals do, and do it better. Earn your god damn right as an american like some of us do without playing cookie cutter with your hours and intentions thinking you're owed it. GET OUT THERE AND BE MORE THAN WHAT YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I keep hearing about fat, lazy Americans from folks who refuse to see it was slave wages and no EPA, or OSHA that caused the jobs to leave.
                          Protectionism? How do you describe the countries that enforce their borders and prevent our goods from entering? Just like the trade deficit, there is a heavy imbalance when it comes to our borders and our trade rights.
                          Our steel industry did not disappear because of lazy Americans and neither did most if not ALL of our jobs now done by folks earning a couple dollars a day and living in huts.
                          If we are done for, why buy into the farce that government spending can get us back in good shape?
                          Walmart is not a "Daycare" for the underacheiving, unqualified American, it is a transfer station for foreign goods and American dollars!
                          I still have not heard a single, sane reply as to how America's economy will turn around if we keep buying foreign goods and borrowing money to stay afloat?
                          I don't know about anyone else, but I worked hard for a living. I wasn't lazy and I'm still not fat, but I have no choice who profits from my consumer spending. I did not shoot my country in the foot, capitalism and the shortsighted folks who refused to look down it's road are to blame.
                          Defend illegals who don't pay taxes and burden our system as better workers, but remember they are here and not in their country for a reason!
                          Let them earn a living wage and pay taxes and insurance, then see how much the system wants them. They are pawns, just like the poor souls making the clothing you wear, sneakers you buy. Unions fought hard to earn workers rights and now folks who never lived through that abuse insult and demonize them. You keep waiting for china to become what we have right now, you're gonna have a long dam wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            How do you describe the countries that enforce their borders and prevent our goods from entering? .
                            What country is this? We don't manufacture anything here anymore, so other countries don't need to worry about keeping our goods out. We don't have any goods to offer!

Comment

We don't have an illegal immigrant problem. We have an illegal employment problem. If the feds started fining and jailing people that hired illegals, the problem would clear up right away. The illegals only come here because they can get a job. Take the job away and they go away.

Simple solution.

But corporate America doesn't want this problem solved. Who would work in the corporate AG or meat processing factories for what illegals are paid?

Why does the government subsidize corn growers so they can sell corn feed to Tyson run chicken farms, below cost?

The corporations have the game rigged to their advantage. It is merely an illusion that the middle class has any autonomy. We live under the rules set by the top .5%.

NAFTA, CAFTA and the WTO do not serve the average citizens common interests. At least not in America.
                              Last edited by SpiffPeters; 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X