Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Your Game Plan?

Franki,

I think you've got a "good head" for this and you're absolulely right that "having a plan" is something that we all should have, with consideration of any form and level of calamity, whether is be something small and localized, or on a wider scale.

It's good to see, as even some minor occurance at the local mall or within the village, the first focus is to gather the family... having eveyone know where we are and where we should go to re-group. So many times we see immediate panic in not knowing where our loved one's are at that moment, and wondering if they'll be alright and know what to do. By then it's too late wish we had given them instructions and training. Having a plan within our own "family" and having them all aware of what they should do and how they should react within these first minutes of an event is of critical importance. If order is to prevail in the midst of chaos, having a plan may may well be a matter of survival.

Once the family has regrouped, the situation can then be evaluated and the next step of a plan can be executed with actions taken that have been thoroughly thought out before hand. So much of that, is dependant on the nature of the event and how much planning you have done in preparation.

For example, if we loose electricity what can we do? Immediately, it's probably flashlights, longer candles or laterns. What about refrigeration or heat, which depends on weather of course. Generators are great, but for how long and what about fuel. If your situation goes long term, then you may reach a point where stealth is important , otherwise you get into a tactical defense situation.

And of couse, there's the communications problem... can you communicate with others and therefore gather information relating to the problem, gaining insight that will aid in the next steps.

Along those same lines, do you stay or do you leave? That all depends on the situation, where you are, and your relative position with regards to ongoing safety. Primary to that decision is whether or not "running" or "staying" is the best strategic move for the safety and comfort of the family. There's no sense in running if you don't have an objective to run to and a safe route to that destination. Taking a "chance" is a gamble that is ofen very foolhardy. (Such is the situation when one goes "down" in an air crash. Unless you have seriously deviated from your flight plan, your best option is usually to stay with plane... it's a lot easier to spot from the air, then your wandering might be.)

A good example, perhaps is flooding. We saw much of that with "Katrina" and in some rare cases, staying put wasn't a bad option. But for most, evacuation is the thing to do, and do it as early as possible. But I think that it is human nature, to just sit it out. A good example was here in the Painted Post area which was heavily damaged in 1972 with the "Agnes" flood. We moved here in 1973 and in 1976 the area was hit again, with continueing rains and fast rising water. We lived in a duplex at the time, in the low-area of the village. During the 72' flood, the first floor of our neighborhood had flooded to about 20 ft. In 76' the local mindset was to grab your blankets and a "bucket" (for you know what) and head to the local high school gym where we would be fed and cared for by the Red Cross at some future time.

However, while that is definitely "survival" in my book, it didn't answer some very basic questions... Like what if the dike breaks like it did in 72, or the rain is longer, or that new dam that's under construction to the south of us, gives way? All of which, in my vision, puts the High School in jeapardy too. (But in all honestly, I'm not so much into sitting on a bucket under a blanket in the middle of a gymnaseum full of my neighbors, either!!)

Fortunately we had a plan, and that involved evacuation to a comfortable area... namely our family and friends back in Binghamton, which was 75 miles to the east.

So, on evac notice, I called the State Police to check the conditions and found that all roads east, west, and south were closed, which I had previously diagnosed in "our flood plan". So we went north, on our planned route, across the higher ground and over these hills to the north and then east to Cortland, which then took us south to Binghamton. It took us a little over two hours, but by noon we were sitting high and dry and having lunch with the inlaws and watching the weather news.
    The only one challenges to this at the time, which was that I didn't have a 2-way radio or a mobile phone at that time. The biggest challenge today would simply be that I now have responsibilities in the area which I cannot leave. But we also now live well above the flood plain and are equipped to lend a hand and a place of refuse to others (my deck might have to serve as a dock, for the lower community though )

But even back then, I kept my tank filled, a spare, food, water, shelter, heat, first aid, and other provisions. Today, I've added power converters, radios, and even a couple of handy talkies just in case we need to temporarily split up for some reason.

So, a few "What If?" discussions helps to develop a plan for the family and it makes everyone aware of the importance of knowin what to do beforehand. It's much easier to take resonsibility of your own situation, as opposed to being part of the problem and just sitting there waiting for somebody to rescue you and your family and then give your MRE's.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
      My game plan is to just keep working hard and to try to provide the most I can for my family.
      I like that one!

Comment

If the fit ever hits the shan, my brother lives in the middle of his 32 acres, (which itself is in the middle of nowhere in west-central Ohio), with a large basement, freshwater pond if needed, generator, large garden, large barn, and situated on a hill with good sight-lines in most directions. Other brother is near the first, with his own large plot of land, barn, greenhouse, pond, etc. All of us have plenty of things that go bang. They're only 140 miles away, I have AWD, and I know several routes there that don't take me anywhere near a major highway or through a town.

Only downside in catastrophic situations, is that they're about 70 miles downwind from Wright-Patterson AFB...
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
          Only downside in catastrophic situations, is that they're about 70 miles downwind from Wright-Patterson AFB...

Well, there goes your big pond of fresh water!

Let us hope that we are beyond "global nuclear warfare" and that the terrorist in the world never get their hands on a nuclear strike capability... especially one that would penetrate Wright-Pat's kind of security.

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X