Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What's Your Game Plan? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's Your Game Plan?

    I'm not getting all worked up over the recent announcement that a terrorist attack is imminent, but it has got me thinking if I should have some plan in place with my wife and daugthers in case of emergency? Specifically, when it is best to stay where you are,or attempt getting home? I'm sure it depends on the nature of the problem and the distance to be traveled.
    Personally, if people are panicked I'd rather my family just stay where they are than get on the roads.
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM.

  • #2
    Re: What's Your Game Plan?

    It used to be visqueen and duct tape.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What's Your Game Plan?

      I won't have time to get out. I'm equal distance from the Pentagon and White House so.....

      I built a safe room in the basement fully stocked with food, water and drugs for 2 people and 2 cats. Plenty of ammo and a generator to last a few weeks easy. 10 rolls of duct tape and a few rolls of 3 mil plastic. Batteries, radio, masks, Tyvek suits, cash and video games.

      What am I missing?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What's Your Game Plan?

        I am going to keep eating chicken nuggets for now
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What's Your Game Plan?

          Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I won't have time to get out. I'm equal distance from the Pentagon and White House so.....

          I built a safe room in the basement fully stocked with food, water and drugs for 2 people and 2 cats. Plenty of ammo and a generator to last a few weeks easy. 10 rolls of duct tape and a few rolls of 3 mil plastic. Batteries, radio, masks, Tyvek suits, cash and video games.

          What am I missing?
          Well, I wasn't thinking about an end of the world scenario, but you seem pretty well prepared. I got to get more ammo, and toilet paper.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What's Your Game Plan?

            make all members of your family aware of a meeting place in case you get separated. Set up a time to meet there everyday. Don't count on cell phones working reliably when the big one comes.

            yeah....it's coming alright

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What's Your Game Plan?

              I don't see the harm in making some plans just in case, and never having to use them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I won't have time to get out. I'm equal distance from the Pentagon and White House so.....

                I built a safe room in the basement fully stocked with food, water and drugs for 2 people and 2 cats. Plenty of ammo and a generator to last a few weeks easy. 10 rolls of duct tape and a few rolls of 3 mil plastic. Batteries, radio, masks, Tyvek suits, cash and video games.

                What am I missing?
                your buddy rick

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  your buddy rick

                  rick.
                  he will have milk shakes
                  Charlie

                  My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                  http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                  new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                    It's difficult to make "plans" without knowing the nature of the attack, the specific target, the time area and the time frame that may be effected. And of course, defense greatly depends on knowing who the "enemy" may be in the aftermath of such an attack.

                    After the attack, unless it's a mass military invasion, the "enemy" will be the chaos that results... and if that is long-term the "enemy" may well be someone who recognizes that you have provisions that they don't.

                    A terrorist attack is usually a specific target or coordinated targets with destruction within a relatively limited area and with the objective of causing chaos in the population while at the same time broadcasting the "cause" of the terrorists.

                    Problem is that with a terrorist attack, there really is no defense because the points of attack are limited only by the imagination and resourcefulness of the terrorist. It can be at any social gathering or grouping of population, or it can be as simple as detonating a device at a busy intersection. Your only defense is to not be there and then don't panic when it happens somewhere else.

                    So far we have not seen widespread destruction on the scale of nuclear or biological weapons. Such an event would greatly change the scope of preparedness and defense that must be considered. So, at what level does one prepare a plan for?

                    In the short term, probably the best general plan is to be able to communicate (two-way) with loved ones, have a rendevous point, have first aid, food, water, shelter, alternative power, heat, and radio to receive news and disaster instruction. Generally our homes, as they presently exist offer much of that preparedness already... if we are not within the area of attack.

                    If the disaster is big, you'll probably want transportation, an escape route that won't be blocked with traffic, and a safe destination out of the effected population center.

                    Cell phones are okay, but as proven on 9/11, Katrina, and other disasters, within the effected zone, cell phones are the first to go. Communication methods that rely on infrastructure are not going to be helpful if you are in the target zone.

                    If the aftermath of a strike is widespread, you're probably best to stay put and keep a low profile and prepare to defend against intruders. But if it's long-term... you might be better off getting out of a population center... or else have a neighborhood where you can ban together to share resources and protection. But if you "get out" you have to have a safe destination to go to, a way to get there on one tank of gas, a way to defend yourself along the way, and your destination needs to be safe, provisioned, and defendable against anyone who didn't plan and now wants to take what you have.

                    The question in return is how long can any of us go without infrastructure and assistance from others and can we do it and still maintain our civility within our communities?

                    CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 02-04-2010, 03:13 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I won't have time to get out. I'm equal distance from the Pentagon and White House so.....

                      I built a safe room in the basement fully stocked with food, water and drugs for 2 people and 2 cats. Plenty of ammo and a generator to last a few weeks easy. 10 rolls of duct tape and a few rolls of 3 mil plastic. Batteries, radio, masks, Tyvek suits, cash and video games.

                      What am I missing?
                      Depending on how bad things are you might be able to strech an extra couple of weeks out by eating the cats and cat food instead of feeding the cats.

                      Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                        Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        It's difficult to make "plans" without knowing the nature of the attack, the specific target, the time area and the time frame that may be effected. And of course, defense greatly depends on knowing who the "enemy" may be in the aftermath of such an attack.

                        After the attack, unless it's a mass military invasion, the "enemy" will be the chaos that results... and if that is long-term the "enemy" may well be someone who recognizes that you have provisions that they don't.

                        A terrorist attack is usually a specific target or coordinated targets with destruction within a relatively limited area and with the objective of causing chaos in the population while at the same time broadcasting the "cause" of the terrorists.

                        Problem is that with a terrorist attack, there really is no defense because the points of attack are limited only by the imagination and resourcefulness of the terrorist. It can be at any social gathering or grouping of population, or it can be as simple as detonating a device at a busy intersection. Your only defense is to not be there and then don't panic when it happens somewhere else.

                        So far we have not seen widespread destruction on the scale of nuclear or biological weapons. Such an event would greatly change the scope of preparedness and defense that must be considered. So, at what level does one prepare a plan for?

                        In the short term, probably the best general plan is to be able to communicate (two-way) with loved ones, have a rendevous point, have first aid, food, water, shelter, alternative power, heat, and radio to receive news and disaster instruction. Generally our homes, as they presently exist offer much of that preparedness already... if we are not within the area of attack.

                        If the disaster is big, you'll probably want transportation, an escape route that won't be blocked with traffic, and a safe destination out of the effected population center.

                        Cell phones are okay, but as proven on 9/11, Katrina, and other disasters, within the effected zone, cell phones are the first to go. Communication methods that rely on infrastructure are not going to be helpful if you are in the target zone.

                        If the aftermath of a strike is widespread, you're probably best to stay put and keep a low profile and prepare to defend against intruders. But if it's long-term... you might be better off getting out of a population center... or else have a neighborhood where you can ban together to share resources and protection. But if you "get out" you have to have a safe destination to go to, a way to get there on one tank of gas, a way to defend yourself along the way, and your destination needs to be safe, provisioned, and defendable against anyone who didn't plan and now wants to take what you have.

                        The question in return is how long can any of us go without infrastructure and assistance from others and can we do it and still maintain our civility within our communities?

                        CWS
                        Very thorough post and brings up some good thoughts. I was thinking family plans even when away from the home town. There may be an attack or problem when we are at a big shopping mall. I have two alternatives in that scenario, if we are able to exit safely, meet up at our car, if we are stuck inside, then it's the food court.
                        I agree that there is strength in numbers so we should have some understanding, or civil relationship with our neighbors. I am friendly with most of my neighbors and two especially who are older, level headed and very resourceful like myself. Each of us have generators, plenty of tools, weapons, flashlights and the rest. I think most of all we are prepared for "just in case", but not nervously waiting for some doomful event.
                        The folks who don't even have a flashlight around the house, or any spare meds, food or water, really annoy me.
                        Whether it's a terrorist disruption, or natural disaster, having a calm, mature attitude and responsible behavior will do as much towards survival as all the supplies.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Depending on how bad things are you might be able to stretch an extra couple of weeks out by eating the cats and cat food instead of feeding the cats.

                          Mark
                          If I ate my cats food, she would be mad

                          Then again, Its better to eat the cats food then the cat - LOL

                          Here is my cat , since we are talking about cats



                          Attached Files
                          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                            She's a beauty! Looks real content on that perch.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What's Your Game Plan?

                              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              She's a beauty! Looks real content on that perch.
                              Thanks, and that bottom "cubby hole" is her safe room -LOL

                              But on a serious note,

                              My game plan is to just keep working hard and to try to provide the most I can for my family.
                              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X