X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Recall?

Does anyone know exactly what the recall on the gas pedal/throttle situation involves?

Notice I stated exactly. Is it a sensor or linkage type mechanical parts?

I know this isn't an auto mechanic forum but many here are better searchers than I.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Toyota Recall?

I heard today it was part of the computer system now and the FEDs are now looking into it.

Its a real mess for sure.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Does anyone know exactly what the recall on the gas pedal/throttle situation involves?

Notice I stated exactly. Is it a sensor or linkage type mechanical parts?

I know this isn't an auto mechanic forum but many here are better searchers than I.

Thanks.

J.C.
      Which recall? The first major one involves shimming the gas pedal (mechanical). The one on the Prius is still ongoing. It may be more than the floor mats.

The evening news had a whistle blower on, (you know your "stuff" is ragged when one of your lawyers blows the whistle on you!!) and it doesn't look good for either Toyota or the NHTSA. Looks like both discounted the worst wrecks, causing them to look in the wrong direction on finding the defect.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

While I think there may be something with the gas pedal, it seems awful fishy that every model that has an issue is very new (09+), which also have throttle by wire systems. I understand its probably a new batch of pedals from the 3rd party manufacturer but.....

Toss in the fact that Toy Yoda didnt add a gas pedal override when the brake is pressed (into the throttle by wire functionality), it makes me wonder if the root of the "gas pedal" issue really is software.

Either way, their rep is taking a HUGE hit, then the Prius issues come to light (and look around, people have been complaining about it since the 2005 model!!!).......at least GM and Chrysler just needed money!! Toyota is gonna need a lot more than that to keep alive.

Comment

This idiot right here will most likely be the whiplash of lost american jobs.

This recall didn't stop me from buying toyota. Attachment
          Attached Files
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            While I think there may be something with the gas pedal, it seems awful fishy that every model that has an issue is very new (09+), which also have throttle by wire systems. I understand its probably a new batch of pedals from the 3rd party manufacturer but.....

Toss in the fact that Toy Yoda didnt add a gas pedal override when the brake is pressed (into the throttle by wire functionality), it makes me wonder if the root of the "gas pedal" issue really is software.

Either way, their rep is taking a HUGE hit, then the Prius issues come to light (and look around, people have been complaining about it since the 2005 model!!!).......at least GM and Chrysler just needed money!! Toyota is gonna need a lot more than that to keep alive.
            I'm wondering also. And they better not be dishonest in any way because you cannot hide that stuff now. People WILL find out.

I just looked at a side by side comparison of the Denso vs. CTS pedals. The CTS looks like a better built pedal. They also make pedals for Honda & others without one complaint to my knowledge.

Sounds like rumor or the blame game at this point.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
              This idiot right here will most likely be the whiplash of lost american jobs.

This recall didn't stop me from buying toyota. Attachment

What did you expect? The guvmint owns Gm now, so they are just getting rid of the competition: Chicago style! They don't care about jobs unless the guvmint controls 'em.

Go
              Attached Files
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Why in the He-double hockey sticks do we need drive by wire? I truly do not understand why auto manufacturers decided we needed to replace an inexpensive cable and a couple of springs, with a rats nest of wires, position sensors, servomotors, etc. to move the same damn butterfly valve the same 90 degrees of rotation. I appreciate engineering and technology when it provides some benefit, but in the majority of drive by wire applications, all the expensive sensors and electronics are engineering for the sake of engineering. When there is an issue with a cable type throttle, the cable can generally be replaced by any mechanic for a few bucks. Drive by wire = Dealer only repair = grab your ankles. Not to mention the cable type system for all intents and purposes bulletproof with modern materials, etc. No software issues, no hardware issues, etc.

Comment

For anyone that thinks toyota is doing wrong on this recall, just remember firestone tires.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    For anyone that thinks toyota is doing wrong on this recall, just remember firestone tires.
                    I can't say they are doing anything wrong. There is a cause to the problem & I really just wanted to know what it was & how they missed it.

I don't know anything about "drive by wire" but as someone earlier described-

it just seems like azz.

I remember Firestone tires but can't recall exactly what happened there.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      I think the issue is more about the fact that they ignored what was going on (for how long, no one really knows just yet) BEFORE issuing the gas pedal recall and figuring out a fix. Did Firestone do the same? (Im honestly asking, I dont really remember)

As far as the Prius braking issues, its even more damning. They made a "normal quality control" change back in January for the electronic braking software. BUT they didnt bother to change all cars that had already been built/sold, only new production. So, they knew about the problem, but to quote office space "we just fixed the glitch".......and causing an extra 90' of braking from 60 mph (the 1 second lag that is apparently the issue) is a BIG DEAL in an emergency stopping situation. How could they ignore the fact that there are so many cars out there with that "normal quality control issue"?

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                        Why in the He-double hockey sticks do we need drive by wire? I truly do not understand why auto manufacturers decided we needed to replace an inexpensive cable and a couple of springs, with a rats nest of wires, position sensors, servomotors, etc. to move the same damn butterfly valve the same 90 degrees of rotation. I appreciate engineering and technology when it provides some benefit, but in the majority of drive by wire applications, all the expensive sensors and electronics are engineering for the sake of engineering. When there is an issue with a cable type throttle, the cable can generally be replaced by any mechanic for a few bucks. Drive by wire = Dealer only repair = grab your ankles. Not to mention the cable type system for all intents and purposes bulletproof with modern materials, etc. No software issues, no hardware issues, etc.
                        Totally agree with your post. My 1990 Maxima has a electronic gizmo with a gear on a shaft that goes into the manual transmission and the other end goes electric to the speedometer. I have changed the end gear three times and the gizmo itself is a couple hundred bucks! A simple speedometer cable, would be around twenty bucks, last a real long time, and in the event of a breakage be simple to replace. The only reason I can think of as to why something so simple was replaced by an expensive prone to breakage system
                        is profit down the road!
                        Without getting into the whole foreign business thing, I'm glad toyota is stepping up and correcting the problem. Remember the exploding gas tanks on the ford pinto? How about the gas tank placed "Outside" the frame rails by GM years back. Those companies figured a certain amount of human loss was acceptable rather than correct the design flaw.

Comment

Akio Toyoda apologizes. Whatever the outcome, I have more respect for him doing this.

When was the last time you saw the leader of a large American Corporation that possibly made a mistake apologize?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_450665.html

J.C.

Comment

The place to check for automotive recalls is here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

For other recalls check here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/

The latter is the US Government's web site that lists recalls for tools, toys, etc.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Just a refresh. http://www.firestone-tire-recall.com.../overview.html
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X