Does this make me a DIY Hack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does this make me a DIY Hack?

Some friends from church just threw away a 600 dollar dish washer. The electrician they had wire it in was a hack and did a poor job of capping and insulating. Long story short the wire hardness got fried on the underside of the unit.

Dishwasher wouldn't turn on so they called up Best buy and had them deliver and install the new one. Best buy was even kind enough to take away the old broken unit

I could have fixed it for probably less than 10 dollars

Drives me nuts that most folks just throw everything away. Such a waste.. but hey... it keeps the economy rolling.

Josh

Comment

HAXOR!

You are just prolonging the inevitable. Toss the TV out and do your part to spur the economy. I suppose you also put a plug in the car tire rather than buy a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Some friends from church just threw away a 600 dollar dish washer. The electrician they had wire it in was a hack and did a poor job of capping and insulating. Long story short the wire hardness got fried on the underside of the unit.

Dishwasher wouldn't turn on so they called up Best buy and had them deliver and install the new one. Best buy was even kind enough to take away the old broken unit

I could have fixed it for probably less than 10 dollars

Drives me nuts that most folks just throw everything away. Such a waste.. but hey... it keeps the economy rolling.

Josh
        I agree with the fact that so may things can be repaired,

Just recently I started a small swimming pool pump repair business in my town, I don't fix many pumps but when I see someone throwing one out or for like $20 on CL , I buy it , replace the bearings and seal and then re sell it.

I hate when people throw things out that could be fixed to only buy something that is going to break faster,

BTW -Josh,

Have you or anyone else seen that new show "American Pickers"

http://www.history.com/content/american-pickers

Man, I love this show, I wish, I could have yards like those folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjIfXVFgkG0

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          I think this is the kind of thing we want to get back too; self-reliance.

I agree, The "throw away" economy is getting old

Comment

With the help of my son Jon, we pulled the TV out and found the DM board. We unsoldered the seven old capacitors and installed the seven aftermarket capacitors. Interesting enough, my $700 "refurbished" DM board that failed had seven new capacitors installed in it and nothing more hence the classification of "refurbished".

In short order we had the new capacitors installed, the board installed in the TV and everything put back where it belonged. Now for the big moment, we plug the TV in and the DM board starts to warm up so the light blinked for one minute just like they said it would. After the blinking light stops we turn the TV on and the picture has never been better. Matter of fact, watching the Super Bowl on it was sweeter than ever.
            Mark, can you re-write this in English please? I have highlighted the words that seem to be foreign. Especially the "everything put back where it belonged" comment I bought my son a bike for Christmas I still have half the parts in the box you don't need "everything back where it belongs" my son loves his bike and the doctor said the bruises will heal soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              To attain hack status, you must shop at HD. Man Law #37.
              HD, Radio Shack, Ferguson.........what's the difference? Hack status has been attained and Man Law #37 requirements have been met.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Good job, Mark

It's great when you can fix up something and save big $$$.

Comment

It raises some time honored questions though about the company that worked on the same issue earlier:

We're they "screwing" people?

We're they flat rate or time and materials?

Is the OEM part overpriced? WAY overpriced or only slightly?

Who decides what someone gets to charge?

Maybe time to open a TV repair shop....hmmmm......

J.C.

Comment

I remember when I was a kid the TV repair man was a bit more difficult back in the day. He had to have good troubleshooting skills to troubleshoot the problem right down to the bad part or tube. Then he would open up this big suit case that had multiple tiers to it with many different tubes along with a tube tester. He make the repair collect his $25.00 service call plus the cost of the repair. Everyone was happy.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've never fixed a TV but washers and driers I've done.

No sense in paying someone to fix something you can fix yourself. Unless you're too damn busy at work to ever get to it, but that doesn't seem likely in this day and age.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                      X