X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this make me a DIY Hack?

A couple of weeks ago, while I was out of town Edison had a feed to our neighborhood go bad which caused a drop in power. Brenda said all of the appliance and computers shut down and the lights looked like candles for a couple of hours. Had I been home I would have thrown the main breaker but I didn't know about the problem until hours later. The power was off completely for about 8-hours until Edison did some bypassing to feed our neighborhood.

After the power came back on I lost my calculator and my Mitsubishi rear projection TV. Two years ago a similar thing happened and it cost me $700 for a "refurbished" DM board. At that point I swore I would never put another dime in to that TV. Of course the TV is installed in a 20' custom made entertainment center so it would mean a major retrofit to change the TV.

I went for door number two and Googled the problem I was having. As it turns out the techies on the Internet call it the Mitsubishi blinking light of death. They had a link to a repair kit which is suppose to be superior to the OEM components on the DM board. So for $36 I purchase the kit which included seven small capacitors.

With the help of my son Jon, we pulled the TV out and found the DM board. We unsoldered the seven old capacitors and installed the seven aftermarket capacitors. Interesting enough, my $700 "refurbished" DM board that failed had seven new capacitors installed in it and nothing more hence the classification of "refurbished".

In short order we had the new capacitors installed, the board installed in the TV and everything put back where it belonged. Now for the big moment, we plug the TV in and the DM board starts to warm up so the light blinked for one minute just like they said it would. After the blinking light stops we turn the TV on and the picture has never been better. Matter of fact, watching the Super Bowl on it was sweeter than ever.

So for those who want to call me a DIY TV repairman hack, go ahead. What I learned was the DM board I had installed two years ago cost me a trade-in board and $700. The DM board I installed this year was my board with upgraded capacitors and I spent about an hour in labor and $36 in parts.

Life is good - Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Does this make me a DIY Hack?

Good job, now turn in your plumbing hat, show's over!

I'll ship you my printer that won't talk to my computer. I blame me for the communication barrier.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

To attain hack status, you must shop at HD. Man Law #37.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

what upsets me the most is you told me about this last week and didn't bother calling me over to help and watch the super bowl

i had to watch it at my friends house with a dozen doctors on a 100'' video screen in their theatre

nothing like watching it with snowball licking me clean

hope the power goes out next year again. you got my number

i'll bring the rosin core solder

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          what upsets me the most is you told me about this last week and didn't bother calling me over to help and watch the super bowl

i had to watch it at my friends house with a dozen doctors on a 100'' video screen in their theatre

nothing like watching it with snowball licking me clean

hope the power goes out next year again. you got my number

i'll bring the rosin core solder

rick.

Had door number two not worked I would have been watching the Super Bowl on a 15" Pro Scan which is tough to do with a house full of people. However, you know I have always had an open-door policy towards everyone so no need to wait until your invited.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
            nothing like watching it with snowball licking me clean:d

wtf??
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

let me explain

snowball is mark and brendas deaf pure white cat. i had stopped by 2 weeks ago while working in the neighborhood and i was not exactly clean

snowball must have liked what i was working with as i couldn't get him to stop licking

in this case mans best friend is a cat

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Nice Job Mark!!!

and to answer your question:

"Does this make me a DIY hack"

A: NO

Its only when a human does plumbing without a license, that makes them a hack

LOL - Good to hear you saved some money
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Congratz Mark! I love fixin stuff. Great feeling when you bring something back to life like that.

I just replaced a bad resistor in my 10 year old Home Theater Receiver. Good as new now for 25 cents worth of electronics I was quoted 200 dollars over the phone to fix the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Congratz Mark! I love fixin stuff. Great feeling when you bring something back to life like that.

I just replaced a bad resistor in my 10 year old Home Theater Receiver. Good as new now for 25 cents worth of electronics I was quoted 200 dollars over the phone to fix the problem

Nice job and congrats to you as well.

Hell with the TV repairman!!!! LOL - J/K

25 CENTS !!!!
                    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Friends used to bring me their electronics all the time to repair. Josh, Mark awesome job. No it does not make you a hack. What a hack is some one that uses parts that are not approved by code or the situation. For example the accordion style P-traps = hack. So in the electronics world if you used the wrong kind of solder, or a to huge of an iron and burned off the traces then you are a hack.

It is sad to see so many TV's in the trash cause no one can afford to hire a guy to fix them or the replacement boards cost to much compared to a new TV. Granted troubleshooting the parts down to the faulty company is the way to do it but not everyone has that ability to troubleshoot it and or the net will not have the information you needed.

Once again Mark, Josh Awesome job, keeping them there old TV's up and running for another few years.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Friends used to bring me their electronics all the time to repair. Josh, Mark awesome job. No it does not make you a hack. What a hack is some one that uses parts that are not approved by code or the situation. For example the accordion style P-traps = hack. So in the electronics world if you used the wrong kind of solder, or a to huge of an iron and burned off the traces then you are a hack.
                        Ahh - I always wonder what actually defined hack,

Thanks for clearing that up

But Ya, Nice Job Mark & Josh!

Josh only paid 25 cents LOL

Now thats a cheap repair

Comment

Congrats Mark! Revenge is sweet, you saved money, the environment, and what would have been another purchase and profit for foreign goods.
                          You are not a hack, you are an ingenius American.

Comment

Yes, that makes you a DIY hack. And all those who have never hacked someone else's work can holler at you. (But I won't)

Comment

I think this is the kind of thing we want to get back too; self-reliance.

Comment

Working...
                              X