Great Quotes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Quotes

"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!"

I read this for the first time today I don't know if it is new or old but I love it. I am not looking for a political debate or discussion on this but no matter the cause I love our military. I was wondering if you guys might share some of your favorite quotes or sayings?

Dan Lawrence

Re: Great Quotes

War by its very nature is political.

Who said these words?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron."

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

Comment

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
      Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
      Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
      Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I like this quote because it demonstrates that we are all in this life, this fight to stay free from oppression together.

Comment

I forget the name of the movie this was in but I always thought it was a great line.............Sarge, did I kill the guy who killed me?
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I live by this one.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2JnCXvm_Qc

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
            War by its very nature is political.

Who said these words?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron."

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
            I am pretty sure that was Napoleon that said the last quote and the first one was either Pres. Teddy or Eisenhower
            Last edited by DanLawrence; 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to guess the on first quote

Comment

If you have nothing nice to say about anybody......come sit next to me

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Love her!

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                I am pretty sure that was Napoleon that said the last quote and the first one was either Pres. Teddy or Eisenhower
                Very good.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." - Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon

Comment

Very good.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." - Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon
                  Folks, World War Two made a pacifist of the former Supreme Allied Commander. When elected president, he soon saw the dangers of a powerful and infuencial war industry, and a level of corporate dictatorship unseen since the Gilded Age. That speech was his warning to the masses about billions of tax dollars going to fund weapons research and production, rather than a nation's infrastructure.

In recent years, such influence and clout was demonstrated over the F-22 Raptor program. Vice President Dick Cheney, "Darth Vader" himself, tried to SHUT DOWN the F-22 production as a waste of tax payer money, especially since the airframe proved to perform miserably under rainy conditions. Yet, a powerful lobbying move forced the F-22 down the Federal government's throat. Lets just say that the sheer billions of dollars spent in the war in Iraq, could have easily paid for full health coverage of every man, woman, and child (Including the illegals) in America.

I could go on to mention Wal-Mart as an example of corporate tyranny, but I don't feel like pushing the forums texting limits.
                  Last edited by tailgunner; 02-10-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Indeed war, or even the mere prospect of war, is very good for some bottom lines.

I often wonder what NASA could have done with an extra $100 billion each year.

Comment

Indeed war, or even the mere prospect of war, is very good for some bottom lines.

I often wonder what NASA could have done with an extra $100 billion each year.
                      Those crybabies at NASA receive zero pity from me. Their egos extend farther than any probe they launch into orbit. If they REALLY need the money, they can set their "holier than thou" atitudes aside for once and actually learn something from the Russians: Collect revenue from private sources

Case in point:
                      Source: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...ch_000712.html

Yes, that is a "Pizza Hut" emblem you see on the side of that rocket.
                      Last edited by tailgunner; 02-10-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Oh, and in keeping up with the spirit of this thread,

My favorite quote came from a man by the name of John Stuart Mill:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Comment

"wolverines"
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                            Those crybabies at NASA receive zero pity from me. Their egos extend farther than any probe they launch into orbit. If they REALLY need the money, they can set their "holier than thou" atitudes aside for once and actually learn something from the Russians: Collect revenue from private sources
                            The only reason the Russians have to sell trips to space is because they bankrupted their country during the cold war. They were a military industrial complex and invested virtually all their capital in the venture. We certainly didn't defeat the Russians, they did it to themselves.

Now, they have to sell space trips to generate any revenue. Or sell nuclear fuel to the Iranians.

NASA was the crown jewel of the our investment in technology. We put men on the moon and were the envy of every nation. We need to return to an era where science and the pursuit of discovery is embraced rather than ridiculed or rejected as some elitist endeavor.

In the meanwhile let Branson and Allen try to explore space. The best private business can do is provide a thrill ride for a very limited clientele. Let's see private business put unmanned machines on a planet or moon.

Comment

The only reason the Russians have to sell trips to space is because they bankrupted their country during the cold war. They were a military industrial complex and invested virtually all their capital in the venture. We certainly didn't defeat the Russians, they did it to themselves.

Now, they have to sell space trips to generate any revenue. Or sell nuclear fuel to the Iranians.

NASA was the crown jewel of the our investment in technology. We put men on the moon and were the envy of every nation. We need to return to an era where science and the pursuit of discovery is embraced rather than ridiculed or rejected as some elitist endeavor.

In the meanwhile let Branson and Allen try to explore space. The best private business can do is provide a thrill ride for a very limited clientele. Let's see private business put unmanned machines on a planet or moon.
                              Not to many people cared for exploring the Rocky Mountains, until gold was found in California. All of a sudden, a renewed "pursuit of discovery and science" emerged after that little incident. And sure enough, private ventures explored far more terrain than any governemt backed program.

Until precious metals are found by the two Mars rovers, we are not going to see any serious "leaps of faith" into the cosmos anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X