X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We Agree, Now What?

I wrote a long rant on what I think needs to happen in the thread on foreign v. USA fittings regarding manufacturing already.

The small steps such as home based businesses and growing your own food are good ideas all, but I'm afraid that the scope of the issue make that a little like spitting in the ocean.

I am not a "big government" believer, but this is a case where things are so far out of hand that massive policy changes are needed. Big changes are the only things that are going to work. Here's some ideas:

* Revise the tax code heavily to penalize corporations for importing parts and labor. Strongly incentivize business for investments in US manufacturing & manufacturing technology - in a "results based" way. The resulting growth will eventually increase government revenue. The "service economy" notion is being shown to be a failed experiment.

* Immediately start a massive effort to develop practical energy independence. This needs to be comparable in committment level to the moon landing effort, but with a much larger budget. Sharply increase taxes on energy, including gasoline. Nationalize the oil companies and use ALL of their profits, along with the higher tax revenue from energy, to help fund the program. No pain, no gain.

* Eliminate the Federal Reserve system completely. That's all I'll say for now, because it would be a huge subject. They are screwing you very, very badly.

* Toughen up on trade policy. Don't allow unrestricted imports from nations that don't import American products in an equitable manner, gradually phased in while we rebuild our industry. Heavily tax US corporations for going offshore for goods or parts. Do not only eliminate the tax benefits of outsourcing jobs, penalize outsourcing any labor that can be done inside the USA. Corporations exist to make money - it's all they know. We have to take away the financial incentive to go offshore.

* Establish protected industries and incubate their rebuilding. Many of the countries that are kicking our butts do this. For some reason we seem to think it's a bad thing.

* Stop bank subsidies and bailouts immediately. If banks are in trouble, break them up and sell the pieces. The bailouts are all a swindle that isn't helping. Instead, strongly incentivize small banks and establish tax benefits that encourage private lending.

* Break up the big banks. We don't need them. The bankers need them. You need some regulation, but a mostly-deregulated (ala Reagan, just a bit less extreme) system can work. The problem is, we forgot about antitrust and let some institutions get big. If you have BOTH deregulation AND huge central institutions, your'e in trouble and that should be the lesson of the past 18 months.

* Make political lobbyists illegal, with no exceptions.

* Put real teeth in antitrust regulations in general. This is a huge problem.

* Increase defense spending. Not by having wars, but by modernization of aircraft, radar, high tech intelligence systems, weapon systems, etc. This is not war mongering. It creates important jobs at all levels, provides an elastic market to absorb technology AND factory workers, and results in many important technical developments (rather that the private system that gives us Twitter and Facebook). Plus it will keep us secure.

* Forget the current healthcare proposals - they are not smart. Instead, put draconian limits on the profits that insurance companies can realize. We are, if I remember correctly, the only Western industrialized nation that has no limit on the profits that insurance companies can make on health care. Fix this and costs will come down. Limit health insurance by law to major medical only. We should all write a check for our minor and routine health care. The insurance companies are making a killing on this and have gotten waaaay too large. Why is it I pay $150 a month for a gardener to maintain my yards but I have to have an insurance company pay for my annual medical checkup? Dumb.

* Completely revise the election process. It's clearly an ethical nightmare, and the country has become numb and is turning a blind eye to it. The recent SCOTUS decision re Citizens United v. FEC should point this out clearly.

* This won't be popular: Cut out student financial aid for all but selected degree programs. Then, take that money, add some more, and give really low cost or preferably free education to US Citizens in the fields that will get us back on track: the sciences, math, engineering, etc. We don't need more lawyers, political science majors, or sociologists. If someone wants to be a poli sci major, great... but the Government can't afford to pay for it.

* Eliminate 401K, 403b, 457b tax deferred retirement plans. These are largely responsible for the stock market bubbles. Thy don't save anyone tax money. The government's revenue requirements are the same... these plans are just a redistribution of income scheme.

* Get the government out of the "gays in the military" business and all that sort of nonsense. I don't care about gays in the military or otherwise. There are real problems to worry about.

* Get away from local school district control of primary schools and high schools. They are way too inefficient. Cost per student spent by public schools is equivalent or higher than that spent per student in many private schools that achieve better results. Many teachers are good. Few administrators or school board officials are.

* I absolutely don't agree with outlawing micropocessors. With all due respect, that wouldbe nuts and would kill us in a technology oriented world. But I DO fully believe that there should be NO COMPUTERS IN SCHOOLS. Johnny needs to read, write, be able to do math, and learn history. Whether he can navigate websites or click on icons is of no value.

* Stop talking about entitlement programs and phase them out. Focus on Civil Service and other government employee entitlements to start. The only ones that we should keep are Social Security and Medicare, both of which need to be revamped so that they work.

* There are more.

Clearly most of these things are massive shifts in policy. Use your vote. Don't just write your elected officials, become a PAIN. If we get even a couple of these to happen, things might get better.

I'm sure many of you will think I'm nuts. On that point, we probably agree.
    Last edited by Andy_M; 02-12-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
      If I didn't have a paralyzing mortgage, I would be able (and prefer) to buy higher quality american made goods.
      Think of it the other way around.
      If we all bought American goods and fed our money into the American economy, wouldn't you have the opportunity at a higher paying job?

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
        This is already law. Every single imported product has this label.
        I know. That is why I said this:

It should stand in stark contrast to the packaging so that it is plain for every consumer to see where the product came from.
        Perhaps making the country of origin a scarlet letter will tune consumers into just how dependent we have become on outside interests.

And maybe we should require gas station attendants to dress like Saudi Sheiks.

Andy - The recent SCOTUS ruling is pure, unadulterated activist judges. They went far beyond the boundaries of the case presented to them, and then dismissed over a 100 years of precedents. Both Alito and Roberts lied while under oath during their confirmation hearings and should be impeached. The damage this court has brought onto this nation is severe beyond imagination.
        Last edited by SpiffPeters; 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
          Think of it the other way around.
          If we all bought American goods and fed our money into the American economy, wouldn't you have the opportunity at a higher paying job?
          I guess I'm stuck in a catch 22

you need a higher paying job to purchase Made in America, in order for your employer to be able to afford paying you more, they cut costs by outsourcing overseas.

Some outsourcing is absurd, such as when I called costumer service of my Satellite Service. A girl in the Philippines answered my call.

all of the cars I have ever purchased plus all the major appliances in my house have always been american. some items such as made in america Televisions and Stereos just can't be found. Even my american computer company of choice has their hardware assembled overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            While some dismiss the idea of a return to manufacturing as protectionism, or simply impractical, I wonder if we can agree on how this will all affect our future? I can't imagine how our economy can either stabilize or improve unless the current trends change. Can we agree that there will be no magic improvement, if our consumer needs continue to be provided outside of our country(ies)?
            Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, most people do not see past their wallet. They love the USA, they like the product, but they just can't see spending more on a USA product.

Right now I need a new belt and some jeans. Went to my Carhartt Dealer and could only find Made in Mexico jeans. Carhartt used to mean USA to me, it just another company following the dollar. When Carhartt decides to make jeans in the USA I will buy them.

I did find some American Made jeans here.
            http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ure=product_11

They are a 5th generation maker of jeans in Kentucky, and the quality appears to be very good.

When it was time for a new computer last year, I bought an Apple. The only reason I did was technical support was USA based and I have called three times and I am more than pleased.

We cannot just be a consumer of goods, we must produce. I have complained to Ridgid numerous times about some of their foreign stuff but it falls on deaf ears.

Honestly, I think people just don't care.
            Last edited by Tyman; 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, most people do not see past their wallet. They love the USA, they like the product, but they just can't see spending more on a USA product.

Right now I need a new belt and some jeans. Went to my Carhartt Dealer and could only find Made in Mexico jeans. Carhartt used to mean USA to me, it just another company following the dollar. When Carhartt decides to make jeans in the USA I will buy them.

I did find some American Made jeans here.
              http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ure=product_11

They are a 5th generation maker of jeans in Kentucky, and the quality appears to be very good.

When it was time for a new computer last year, I bought an Apple. The only reason I did was technical support was USA based and I have called three times and I am more than pleased.

We cannot just be a consumer of goods, we must produce. I have complained to Ridgid numerous times about some of their foreign stuff but it falls on deaf ears.

I've been saying the same thing for years and it does fall on deaf ears, we are like a village that makes nothing and depends on others for all it's needs. I think most folks are either wrapped up in their own busy lives or too afraid of where the truth will lead them. This is very serious, and nothing is being done! We have state and city governments cutting back on spending and borrowing to meet their budgets, I had a letter recently printed in my local Newspaper where I wrote they cannot do that indefinitely. California is almost half a trillion in debt, in NY there is a hospital half a billion in debt. What the heck is happening to our country and why is nothing being done?
              Tonight on Fox News they said we are close to going bankrupt! Some here may insult Fox all they want but I do believe that warning. Federal spending is out of control. Don't they see the urgency for action?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

I have complained to Ridgid numerous times about some of their foreign stuff but it falls on deaf ears.

Me too, I have also blogged about it as well.

I wish that RIDGID would make more of the Seesnake line here in America,

At least manufacture the tools that will be sold in America here in America,

TRUE STORY:

I bought a RIDGID Seesnake Mircro from JC here on the forum a while back and when I got it the BOX said "Made in ChINA" ouch!

I sold it on CL - The next day....

I mean when I was 16 if I would have picked up a pipe wrench and it said "china" on it, I wouldn't have bought it, and the guys I worked with would have told me that Chinese pipe wrenches sucked and that is true,

But now all these RIDGID tools are being outsourced, Its so so so so sad,

Come on RIDGID - Build American !

We need jobs!!

Lets build the Mircosnakes here in the USA!!!

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Working...
                X