Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Measures

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
    Hence the value of wedge politics. Actually, it's true name is Machiavellianism. But the result is the same.

Take the teabaggers. The persons that funded the movement are the very ones that benefit from these Machiavellian tactics. They aren't interested in changing anything because the current system best serves their purposes. They just want to fragment the electorate ever more.

And while arguments can rage on about media's bias one way or the other, one in particular is simply just a partisan outlet. Yet their viewers consider their product legitimate journalism. It would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic.

United we stand, divided we fall. And the powers have no interest in a united people.
    The people have no interest in a united people either. I'm willing to bet most folks who go to those teabag meetings are simply upset with business as usual in washington and want a change. I voted for a change and did not get it, we are still at war, still losing jobs, doing nothing about illegal immigration, still watching our country go down the tubes. I don't need to be defined as a liberal, conservative, moderate, or anything else because I am upset with the former administration as well as the current! In my opinion anyone who defends the past or present administration is out of touch with reality. People have a right to be upset and demand action without being ignored, insulted or marginalized.
    I watch Fox News because I believe they cover some stories other stations do not. I certaily do not consider Glen beck or Sean Hannity Newsmen, but neither is Katy Couric! Beck and Hannity dance to the folks who actually believe Unions are to blame for our economic problems, some of those folks are right here reading this. They don't have the guts to praise Unions and place blame on the unpatriotic capitalists who turned their backs on our country in search of more profit at the hands of slave labor.

We are not a united people and we must accept our own part in that truth. How many of us took a stand over the last forty or fifty years as more jobs went over seas or to mexico, and refused to buy the newly imported products? How simple it is to blame the Unions, how easy to call your fellow American unpatriotic because he disagrees with your beliefs! The conservatives played their word games when President Bush was in office and now the liberals are proving they are no better. I find nothing laughable in this behavior, and the result of our political system is truly tragic.

Comment

I like steak! Mmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        I like steak! Mmmmmm!
        Me too!!
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          The conservatives played their word games when President Bush was in office and now the liberals are proving they are no better. I find nothing laughable in this behavior, and the result of our political system is truly tragic.
          Most liberals I know are very unhappy with the current administration. I wish Obama and the congressional leaders would engage in the same brand of bipartisanship that Gingrinch, Hastert, Delay, Frist and Lott resorted to. So long as the republicans continue gain political capital by disabling the process, don't expect the federal government to implement any changes.

Change simply won't happen because the minority has taken their ball and gone home because they don't respect the majority of America. They are in the minority for a reason and they need to start acting like it.

Fox News is anything but news. They do a story, then have two or three conservative pundits or analysts with maybe one other person representing the opposing view. This is on their so called news cast. How about they report and let the viewer form their own opinion? They may produce reports on stories that aren't reported elsewhere, but there is a strong partisan bent to their selection of stories.

There is no liberal equivalent to what takes place on Fox News. And ABC, CBS and NBC at least stick to the fundamental tenets of journalism: who, what, when, where and why.

FOX just pollutes the news cycle with their partisan bent. So long as Rupert Murdoch gets to continue peddling his poison, and people continue to tune in for the daily dose of outrage, the only change we will see is the continued decline in the American standard of living.

Comment

.... ABC, CBS and NBC at least stick to the fundamental tenets of journalism: who, what, when, where and why......

Not saying Fox isn't biased, but the "what" and "why" is usually replaced with personal opinion rather than factual data in every media out there that I have found. Objective reporting is a thing of the past. Just like "honest" politicians have to bow to those that have the $$ and power to get them into office, so do "good" journalists have to bow to those that employ them and edit their reports.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              When I was in 3rd grade (1990), we had Apple IIe's and they taught us how to touch type. I think that is a valuable skill that we should teach kids. Computers aren't a substitute for reading or writing (in fact reading and writing a prerequisite to using a computer), but they aren't "evil"; and having a computer doesn't in some way mean that you aren't learning to read.
              "Old School" typing is one of the best skills I walked away with from High School. 35 typewriters, that's right-typewriters, in a room whacking away.

J.C.

Comment

Gogor - I disagree. ABC, CBS and NBC do cover the basics. But when the producer gives the reporter a two minute slot to cover all the basis, well things get glossed over. More important is the selection of stories. Who decides what stories get covered? Over at FOX News, its Roger Ailes who guides their editorial staff. And Roger Ailes is a hard core partisan first, second and last. I would not be surprised to see Karl Rove replace Ailes in about five years. He would be the logical heir.

If you want traditional broadcast news PBS does an excellent job of sticking to the tenets.

FOX News does not engage in journalism. Every news report is followed by a panel of analyst that triangulate and try to find a way to blame the event on Obama, Reid, Pelosi, liberals or the Democratic (sorry Rush, but you don't get to rename the party) party.

Ailes, Rove, Murdoch, Rev. Moon and Clear Channel to name but a few, are at the core of the machine that drives wedges into our society. Increasingly we identify ourselves by our political philosophies and seek others of similar or identical perspectives.

With a little rewording of George Carlin:

'Are you a Republican?'
                'No.'
                *BANG* Traitor!.
                'Are you a Republican?'
                'Yes.'
                'Are you Pro-Life'
                'No.'
                *BANG* Traitor!.

AM radio is an absolute wasteland of hyperbolic rage. Every hour of every day there is a pundit telling his audience how evil, immoral, unethical and anti-American someone is. And surprisingly, its always the same group of people, the Democratic party (substantially more people are registered democratic than republican).

How refreshing it would be if they were to turn their vast resources 180 degrees and expose the shenanigans taking place behind their backs. But then that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

Comment

We disagree, because while Fox News is certaily slanted to the right I think they provide some good journalism. When you take off your blinders and see all the staions for what they are, you quickly realize they are all biased. You may disagree with me but that is what I have observed.

I think the so called News media serves specific audiences, and it is the viewers who are to blame for biased reporting. Those of us who cling to our faulted beliefs and continue to defend either political party, are as responsible for our current situation as the evil powers pulling the strings.

We are at a point where accurate, honest reporting is not very important. Regardless of omissions, biased panels, or outright lies, we must know something is very wrong. We must realize neither political party has served we the people, but rather their own agenda. We know the government republican or democratic is engaging in wars it cannot pay for, the weekly jobless figures are around half a million, nothing has been done to resolve the issue of illegals in our county. Watching a News broadcast that supports our political views does not change any of the awful truths.

Our country is still in desperate need of change, not taxpayer funded jobs and work projects. IF you don't agree with the evil people behind the teabaggers, then form your own independant protest group, but for God's sake don't fool yourself into thinking we have a government working to improve our economy and country. Don't expect to get such a government if the republicans gain control again.

Comment

Frank - I'm not sure you can compare broadcast news with the constant, monotone droning of FOX News and AM radio pundits. ABC, CBS and NBC have what, 90 minutes of evening news. That's half the time Rush alone spends on air each day vilifying non-conservatives. Then you add everyone else and it is a tsunami of rhetoric every day.

I've watched FOX News. When they pass off RNC daily talking points (without attribution) as an actual report, independent report, they've lost any credibility. I'm sure the major broadcast outlets don't turn DNC memos into reports.

FOX News is nothing more than the media outlet for the RNC. That is simply a fact. If you need proof, I can easily provide it. The merging of political party and news should be something that scares people. But apparently it doesn't bother some folks.

Comment

Frank - I'm not sure you can compare broadcast news with the constant, monotone droning of FOX News and AM radio pundits. ABC, CBS and NBC have what, 90 minutes of evening news. That's half the time Rush alone spends on air each day vilifying non-conservatives. Then you add everyone else and it is a tsunami of rhetoric every day.

I've watched FOX News. When they pass off RNC daily talking points (without attribution) as an actual report, independent report, they've lost any credibility. I'm sure the major broadcast outlets don't turn DNC memos into reports.

FOX News is nothing more than the media outlet for the RNC. That is simply a fact. If you need proof, I can easily provide it. The merging of political party and news should be something that scares people. But apparently it doesn't bother some folks.
                      Reread my post, I can compare that each serves a biased audience and neither provide the full and truthful News. I further standy by my earlier post that it is the audience and their misplaced allegience to both these special interest political groups that are to blame equally for our dysfunctional government and serious national situations. Our country is no better off with democrats in power, we still don't get full and accurate News and more importantly, nothing is being down to change our course of doom.

We can disagree about biased media if you want, I would rather discuss the lack of change and how long our country has before it breaks. Rush and the RNC are no worse than the democrats and misguided liberals trying to stifle Free Speech when it goes against their agenda!

Reread my post and instead of playing games about the lack of unbaised News, try and address the identical situations I mentioned that exist regardless of which party is in power. That is the greater issue in my opinion, not media that panders to folks who are incapable of independant thought.

The republican administration did not serve the people well and neither is the democratic administration. The same folks who were outraged with our former President should be equally or more outraged with President Obama. I've fallen out of favor with some folks here because I am not playing politics but holding people accountable. My dog in the fight is from the same litter as the last. I don't know how anyone can be happy or hopeful with this?

Just in case anyone is confused, my New Years resolution to abstain from political threads is over! Those of you who are disappointed that I am not cheering for more of the same from my government, can rest assured if and when the next administration changes to republican control, I will continue to expect change and be equally vocal if it is not forthcoming.
                      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-21-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I'd like to vote for the Boobie Party. Nothing but a stiff breeze of fresh air into the halls of polical-ville.

Comment

I like boobies AND steak!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....................
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Comment

So long as Rupert Murdoch gets to continue peddling his poison, and people continue to tune in for the daily dose of outrage, the only change we will see is the continued decline in the American standard of living.
                              Rupert Murdoch and his pulpit isn't the reason for this problem, and I can't see that whether Fox continues on its path or not will matter much to the way things unfold.

You mentioned that liberals aren't happy with Obama. Well, conservatives weren't happy with Bush. Except the extreme right wingers - and they aren't conservatives, they are radicals. I'm a lifelong republican and I would say 90% of my friends are conservatives. I only know ONE that supported Bush 43. The point is that neither party is following an agenda that the public favors. However, there are people that are pocketing money no matter which group controls Washington.

The American standard of living will continue to meltdown as long as We The People entrust our hides to the two major parties. Traditional partisan politics only provides a distraction and excuse for proliferation, and expansion, of the status quo. There is no fundamental difference between the parties. The big winner under the current rules of the game is and will always be the special interest lobbies that drive Congress and, apparently, the Supreme Court.

I'm not totally happy with the tea party or those that are making a profit from it. And Palin scares me severely. But I do like the fact that the Tea Party support is coming from the grassroots - that's the only way we will see real change.

The traditional DC politicians won't do what is needed. They have to placate their masters. Big changes - extreme measures - need to happen. If it doesn't or can't come from the grassroots, it isn't coming. The DC politicos will continue to simply rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                                Rupert Murdoch and his pulpit isn't the reason for this problem, and I can't see that whether Fox continues on its path or not will matter much to the way things unfold.

You mentioned that liberals aren't happy with Obama. Well, conservatives weren't happy with Bush. Except the extreme right wingers - and they aren't conservatives, they are radicals. I'm a lifelong republican and I would say 90% of my friends are conservatives. I only know ONE that supported Bush 43. The point is that neither party is following an agenda that the public favors. However, there are people that are pocketing money no matter which group controls Washington.

The American standard of living will continue to meltdown as long as We The People entrust our hides to the two major parties. Traditional partisan politics only provides a distraction and excuse for proliferation, and expansion, of the status quo. There is no fundamental difference between the parties. The big winner under the current rules of the game is and will always be the special interest lobbies that drive Congress and, apparently, the Supreme Court.

I'm not totally happy with the tea party or those that are making a profit from it. And Palin scares me severely. But I do like the fact that the Tea Party support is coming from the grassroots - that's the only way we will see real change.

The traditional DC politicians won't do what is needed. They have to placate their masters. Big changes - extreme measures - need to happen. If it doesn't or can't come from the grassroots, it isn't coming. The DC politicos will continue to simply rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.
                                My thoughts exactly, thank you. Now if more Americans could get more outraged over the lack of positive change and less concerned over their political party looking good or bad maybe we might stand a chance of surviving these troubled times?

Comment

Working...
                                X