X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment or Exploitation?

I have been watch various videos on YouTube related to a fight on a bus and the follow up interviews. I won't link the videos here because of some rough language. Basically a younger black guy has an argument with an older white guy (67-years old). I don't believe this has to do with race but some want to make it about race. I believe it had to do with an older drug using man who is suffering from mental illness and a younger man who is racially sensitive and was probably acting a bit like a bully.

This thing has now taken off like a wildfire on both the National News and the Internet. Many are treating this older gentleman as a hero which seems will only worsen his public disorder. On YouTube he is called Vietnam Tom or Epic Beard Man.

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Entertainment or Exploitation?

The whole incident was nothing more than two morons acting just like well......morons. I didn't see or hear any overt racism except maybe from that woman in the background. I do think the fella in the beard was just defending himself as the first punch was thrown by the other guy after he chased down the bearded one who had moved away and sat somewhere else. No race issue here unless something happened before the camera started rolling.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Epic beard man is certainly crazy so I'm willing to excuse his behavior. The Black guy is a freaking idiot.

I mean really starting a physical altercation with a crazy man that has a shirt ready 'I'm a bad *** mother ****er'? Got what he deserved IMHO.

The fact the news media has even decided this story was relevant is sad. Yes I feel it's exploitation on their part. The old guy needs mental help not camera's and national attention. He's no hero.

Comment

If you watch enough of the videos, Tom explains how he spent 14-years in prison after he returned from Vietnam due to his drug sales. The day of the fight he talks about being on his way to pickup his medical marijuana (way to go California). In one interview Tom introduces his best friend, a black gentleman who Tom knock the teeth out of when the guy tried to steal Tom's cocaine. There are also videos of Tom getting tasered by a bunch of cops at an Oakland As game where he must have had a problem and I recently read but have not verified he got in trouble on an Amtrak train for harassing other passengers.

This guy is a mess who is in dire need of help. Instead everyone but Tom is making money selling t-shirts and what not. One guy was even offering to set up a smack-down rematch but has since dropped the idea.

Mark
        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I couldn't make out all the conversation, but there was a lot going on in those heads. The older guy may have been a bit off, but he did get up and move even if he was taking crap. The younger guy may have have some racial issues (don't know what it's like living as a Black man), but he showed no respect whatsoever for the older man's age. I was taught about respecting my elders, or at least giving them some room! I'd like to see the woman, or women cheering on the young guy to get their asses beat. There was a time when women would try and difuse a confrontation.

Mark, it's both entertaining and explotive. The video could also be called shocking, tragic, disgusting and much more. Morons will cheer that the Black guy got what he deserved, decent folks will think the whole thing was a very sad comment on our society. Mental illness, racism, lack of respect, all makes for good Youtube stuff, but for a bad society.

Comment

I love Youtube. It gives everyone a chance at stardom no matter how stupid the act.
            sigpic

Comment

I guess you would have to call me a moron then. The white guy was just defending himself, be damned if I would just sit there and let anyone punch me in the face. He got just what he was after, a fight, some times you whip someones @ss and some times your @ss gets whipped. The white guy is not mentally stable but he does know enough to defend himself, and he is smart enough to move from the escalating situation. The black guy walked up to the front of the bus two times. The last time he came back with a busted mouth and still talking trash. I don't condone fighting but when that is all that is left, what do you do, you have to stand up for yourself at some point in life. The black guy is 50 years old and not some young punk.

No heros on either side and sad in a way, but then that is life on the streets.

G3

What the media is doing is totally wrong also.
              Last edited by G3sprinklers; 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                I guess you would have to call me a moron then. The white guy was just defending himself, be damned if I would just sit there and let anyone punch me in the face. He got just what he was after, a fight, some times you whip someones @ss and some times your @ss gets whipped. The white guy is not mentally stable but he does know enough to defend himself, and he is smart enough to move from the escalating situation. The black guy walked up to the front of the bus two times. The last time he came back with a busted mouth and still talking trash. I don't condone fighting but when that is all that is left, what do you do, you have to stand up for yourself at some point in life. The black guy is 50 years old and not some young punk.

G3

G3, just to be clear I'm glad the young guy got busted up. He was the aggressor, he was trying to get over on an older guy and showed no respect or control. What bothers me is folks who cheer this kind of crap like it's a good thing younger folks have no manners, or it's fun to watch a distrubed person go off. Those are the folks I consider morons, because although the guy deserved to get his butt kicked the whole this is a dam shame. Now maybe you think I'm a moron, sorry if you took it wrong that wasn't my intention. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  If you watch enough of the videos, Tom explains how he spent 14-years in prison after he returned from Vietnam due to his drug sales. The day of the fight he talks about being on his way to pickup his medical marijuana (way to go California). In one interview Tom introduces his best friend, a black gentleman who Tom knock the teeth out of when the guy tried to steal Tom's cocaine. There are also videos of Tom getting tasered by a bunch of cops at an Oakland As game where he must have had a problem and I recently read but have not verified he got in trouble on an Amtrak train for harassing other passengers.

This guy is a mess who is in dire need of help. Instead everyone but Tom is making money selling t-shirts and what not. One guy was even offering to set up a smack-down rematch but has since dropped the idea.

Mark
                  Mark, Vietnam left a lot of damaged guys to wander the streets. In NYC there was a guy they called the wild man of 92nd street. He was a big black guy always hoped up and very intimidating. The cops would lock him up and in no time he would be released. Seems like there is no fixing these broken men. I believe all those other accounts about this guy Tom, and he sounds like a wacko, but in this encounter I don't see where he was wrong? He moved away from the confrontation and only defended himself when necessary. Overall though, it was a sad comment on our society. Menatlly ill folks in need of treatment or containment, and younger folks with no respect, no control and no regard. Let's not forget those lovelys cheering it all on!

Comment

Didn't even look for it.

Entertainment or Exploitation? Probably a little bit of both. If I look at it then it's kind of like I'm supporting it. So I just avoided it based on your descriptions.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post

G3

I think everyone would agree the old man was just defending himself and to go one step further I believe he was sorry it happened at the time. However, now hundreds of people are stopping him on the street for a photo-op. In addition, EBG businesses are springing up all over the net to profit from what happened. In addition, Ive seen at least a dozen music videos about Tom. All of these people are profiting from this incident and as far as I know Tom is not receiving anything.

Mark

Comment

Frankie, no foul here. I just miss read your post I guess.

G3

Comment

And yet, as savage and inappropriate the video is, nobody has a problem with televised violence via the UFC and it's imitators. I see little difference in the mentality that condones Roman Colosseum like spectacles of violence just because they are sanctioned by some self made organization of barbarians and their promoters.
                          sigpic

Comment

This hasn't entered My world yet. Never will!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I use to watch boxing all the time and then UFC, and one night after watching some guy get his head all busted up and blood all over the matt and both fighters, I realized it was just crazy. two guys beating the crap out of each other for a buck in their pocket and several bucks in the promoters pocket. Don't watch it any more.

G3

Comment

Working...
                              X