Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

in 1993 i lived on $500 a month. out of collage and a $265 a month property payment (i bought 7.4 acres.)
    i built a log home out of railroad ties. it had big cracks in it. that the wife has since burned down. it was 16 x 24 feet, one large room.
    p/u paid for.
    no running water. or electricity. i used oil lamps and a bucket w/dirt untill i could afford kitty litter, after i got married.
    i ate refers, pinto beans. and ketchup. i had no fridge. that i made on the wood stove for heat and cooking. i bathed in a watering troff next to it.
    i had a 17 foot sand point. and a pitcher pump on top. the front door was a sheet of osb board and some gate hinges.
    i still have no health ins. if i get sick i live with it. if i have to take the kids in i just pay for it.
    i didn't even know that gov. aid was even available. i started with nothing.
    my wife has never had to work. i/we have made it.
    Last edited by Jerad; 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
      in 1993 i lived on $500 a month. out of collage and a $265 a month property payment (i bought 7.4 acres.)
      i built a log home out of railroad ties. it had big cracks in it. that the wife has since burned down. it was 16 x 24 feet, one large room.
      p/u paid for.
      no running water. or electricity. i used oil lamps and a bucket w/dirt untill i could afford kitty litter, after i got married.
      i ate refers, pinto beans. and ketchup. i had no fridge. that i made on the wood stove for heat and cooking. i bathed in a watering troff next to it.
      i had a 17 foot sand point. and a pitcher pump on top. the front door was a sheet of osb board and some gate hinges.
      i still have no health ins. if i get sick i live with it. if i have to take the kids in i just pay for it.
      You are too young to have ever "HAD" to live like that. I think deep down you got a little fulfillment for living by the choices you made. I suspect your adventure was both humbling and character building at the same time.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

you want to bet i lived like that. talk to my wife cause she lived like that too.
        everyone in my ward thought we were very wierd. rightly so. i have a stake calling and my wife is the primary pres.
        so in the end it all worked out. some of the older people still remember the way we lived. back in the "old" days.

i was always self reliant. my parents did the big D when i was three. i was the man of the house. i took care of everything i could. and did. i started my first biz when i was 10.
        Last edited by Jerad; 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

p/u paid for.
          Just curious Jerad, how do you live now in comparison?

J.C.

Comment

The right places and the right budgeting, but with a house payment of $55,000 a year; and not a snowball's chance in hell of selling the house for what I owe after all the government taxes and fees, $19,000 wouldn't cut it.

Comment

well, Jc.

i still live on the same land in a 3,300 sq ft house. we pay cash for everything. except the house payment. no cc debt. i live within my means. travel several times a year. when it is slow then we do without somethings and "make do or do with out".

Comment

Sounds like you've lived either within or below your means to accomplish goals and sustain a better way of life.

J.C.

Comment

I think it depends on where you live.

My family of 4:

groceries: 80*52 = 4160
                  oil: 650 gallons * 2.40/gallon = 1560
                  water: 240/yr
                  electric (assume no a/c): 120 * 12 = 1440
                  phone: 15.00/month*12 = 180
                  gas (wifes car only): 7.5 gallons * 52 weeks * 2.60/gallon (VERY conservative estimate on per gallon price) = 1000

total: 8600

That leaves 10,400 for a home (rent or mortgage), taxes (if owning), car (+home if owned) insurance, and misc expenses (even on 19K, you have to treat yourself to something....even if its just Wendys, or a new piece of clothing from the mall). If I rented even something modest in an OK neighborhood around here, Im looking at 700/month or so. That leaves 2K for the rest of it. VERY VERY close at that point....insurance is killer up here, we pay taxes on our cars value, even if its worth almost nothing its just another bill. Keep in mind this also assumes no internet and no TV. On the other hand, it also assumes you dont have family that would be kind enough to let you crash. Im sure I do, but thats a HUGE adjustment for both the hosts and my family......I would have to be in dire straits to think about a living arrangement like that.

I suppose it could be done, but in my position it would be even tougher....I already own a home, so Id have to go thru the trouble of selling it and finding/moving to a new place. There are costs for that too, that could very well sap up the extra 2K. If I stayed in our home, the mortgage+taxes are not 700/month (I wish!), so 19K would be impossible at that point.

I think its a sad that we have to say that....when I was 16 I wasnt making nearly 19K/yr, and life was great! I guess thats because my parents were busy making sure we didnt need to live on 19K (deflation adjusted, of course!! it was almost 20 yrs ago), and their parents before them, and their parents before them, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Sounds like you've lived either within or below your means to accomplish goals and sustain a better way of life.

J.C.

exactly! always a little below our means. so there is some kind of soft spot to land on.
                    i really need/want a bigger van. i'm in an astro. can i afford a new one? yes i can. but i will do all i can to make do with what i have till i have used up my current van.

Comment

exactly! always a little below our means. so there is some kind of soft spot to land on.
                      i really need/want a bigger van. i'm in an astro. can i afford a new one? yes i can. but i will do all i can to make do with what i have till i have used up my current van.
                      Smarter than many that can't manage and go under. Keep on keepin' on...

J.C.

Comment

Jerad, I wish I did what you have done at the start of my life. In my case hindsight is 20/20. I made my mistakes now I just have to take things day by day till I can some how correct them all and get back on the right track. It just gets depressing that I learned this lesson now at the age of 40 instead of learning it say 10 years ago or further.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          Jerad, I wish I did what you have done at the start of my life. In my case hindsight is 20/20. I made my mistakes now I just have to take things day by day till I can some how correct them all and get back on the right track. It just gets depressing that I learned this lesson now at the age of 40 instead of learning it say 10 years ago or further.
                          Ron, just remember to concentrate on what you can do now. Always what you can do, not what you can't. Move forward, drive on.

J.C.

Comment

my mom makes plenty for her self but she is in cc debt up to her eye balls. when they cancel her at work because it is slow she can bearly coop. she spends way more then she makes. she keeps trying to keep up with the jones.
                            i can help her manage her money, but untill the cc co. call her on it all she won't budge. or she looses her house.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              Reading Jerad's story made me think the same thing. I have a lot of respect for him and what he was able to do along with his wife. I have been very wasteful and I wised up late. I made good money for a lot of years, but was foolish! I hate myself for being so stupid, but it's also been tough getting through to my wife. I drive the twenty year old car, I cut my own hair, do my own repairs, but if my wife is not onboard we are sunk. She does not waste money and is very frugal most of the time but when it comes to our daughters she loses it. We have some cc debt, three half dead cars and one daughter finishing college and one about to enter in another year. This past christmas while my oldest was studying in France, my wife decided she had to be with her for the holiday and went with our younger daughter, leaving me at home with the dog. I argued my case of how wasteful it was, but the plans were made. Short of divorcing her, there isn't much I can do and a divorce would sink me as well! I think she finally realizes we/she can't afford to do stuff like that. Living in CT and this neighborhood has not helped. Most of the folks here are wealthy, they hire people to clean their homes, cut the lawn, remove snow and do repairs. Only recently have a couple families moved in that actually do for themselves. I was the odd guy in the neighborhood for years doing all this on my own. My daughters have never know hard times, and like most parents we spoiled them. I don't think it's a good lesson for kids to grow up getting so much, and their wealthy friends made things worse. Sorry to rant on, wish I could do it all over again from the start. I do agree that it's better late than never to wise up and act smart by living within our means. I'll drive my car till the wheels fall off, and I'll keep fixing everything I can rather than run out and buy. Keep your spirits up.

Comment

I thank the lord every day for him making meet my current girlfriend. I used to spend money very foolish till I met her. She made me realize I do not need to go to Sears and by brand new work pants and such. She taught me the valve of shopping at the Goodwill for clothing. I pay 30 bucks easy on a pair of pants at Sears, but at good will that 30 bucks buys me two pairs of pants along with 3 shirts.

Now if I could get out of this apartment. I got into it when I though it was going to be my daughter, girlfriend (not current frugal one) with her daughter and myself. But that girlfriend took me for a ride and I got stuck here.

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                Reading Jerad's story made me think the same thing. I have a lot of respect for him and what he was able to do along with his wife. I have been very wasteful and I wised up late. I made good money for a lot of years, but was foolish! I hate myself for being so stupid, but it's also been tough getting through to my wife. I drive the twenty year old car, I cut my own hair, do my own repairs, but if my wife is not onboard we are sunk. She does not waste money and is very frugal most of the time but when it comes to our daughters she loses it. We have some cc debt, three half dead cars and one daughter finishing college and one about to enter in another year. This past christmas while my oldest was studying in France, my wife decided she had to be with her for the holiday and went with our younger daughter, leaving me at home with the dog. I argued my case of how wasteful it was, but the plans were made. Short of divorcing her, there isn't much I can do and a divorce would sink me as well! I think she finally realizes we/she can't afford to do stuff like that. Living in CT and this neighborhood has not helped. Most of the folks here are wealthy, they hire people to clean their homes, cut the lawn, remove snow and do repairs. Only recently have a couple families moved in that actually do for themselves. I was the odd guy in the neighborhood for years doing all this on my own. My daughters have never know hard times, and like most parents we spoiled them. I don't think it's a good lesson for kids to grow up getting so much, and their wealthy friends made things worse. Sorry to rant on, wish I could do it all over again from the start. I do agree that it's better late than never to wise up and act smart by living within our means. I'll drive my car till the wheels fall off, and I'll keep fixing everything I can rather than run out and buy. Keep your spirits up.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                Ron's Facebook
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X