Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

A family may be able to exist on $19,990 per year, but they won't be able to live. Perhaps in a rural setting a family would do better (firewood for heat, no water/sewer bill, large vegetable garden).

The cost of a mortgage and health insurance alone would exceed that amount in most locations.

Comment

Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the great responses, I have learned a lot from this thread.

Its also interesting to see how many different points of view there are and also how demographics plays such a huge role.

Thanks so much !

When I lived on Long Island NY, I could never live for $19k no way no how !

Comment

23 years ago I came to the US with $10.00 that the commie government allowed me to take out of the country. That wasn't enough to take a cab from JFK to Brooklyn, NY. Luckily I had extra $100.00 that I smuggled out of the dear homeland.

Depending on individual priorities, I think you can make it on $19K a year.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

I've done it on a lot less then 19k with no gov help. We just followed the conditions that NHmaster pointed out with exception of heat.

I lived in the woods so I'd strap one of the kids sleds on and go get fire wood.

Tuff times but we were happy. We had food, somewhat dry house, and family.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
            I am wondering,

Could you live with a salary of $19,990 a year with a family of four?

2 kids , yourself and a domestic partner

Let me know our thoughts,

I think you could in the right places with the right budgeting,

You?
            No!!! No way, maybe in Asia or Africa not here.

Comment

So long as no one gets sick or get injured, or doesn't need any continued medical care, a family could drop health insurance. Don't get cavities or have crooked teeth.

If you make all your food from scratch and grow your own vegetables you could reduce your food bill significantly.

No college fund, no retirement fund, no savings account to siphon off available funds. No car insurance, no car.

I you wanted to live slightly above third world standards, you could probably make do. It may be possible, given the location, to exist. But in metropolitan areas I think not. Mortages/rent alone would leave little or no room, and in many instances exceed that amount.

Comment

In the end it all comes down to separating the Want from the Need. A concept that all too many people have a problem with these days. Along with Earn and Deserve.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                  Lets see health insurance for a family of 4 is roughly $900 a month, housing for lets say something around $800 a month then food cost avg. would be $400 a month (on the low side), clothing $50 a month, electric bill $200 a month, gas bill $200 a month six months out of the year, car insurance about $50 a month, gas for car $200 a month, Phone bill, school fees, cable bill etc etc etc....... There is no way a family of 4 could live on 19k a year unless you get help from our government in the form of medicare, food stamps and a housing allowance.

I was about to write this:

With schools these days in bed with product makers suggesting that "specific" books and calculators are required? It's total BS.

Kids are very expensive and how expensive food/health care/school/clothes......just alone costs.

You skimp on any of the above and peer pressure will provide the correction most times as others will call out and prey on another's weakness.

My dad pulled off raising a family of 4 in the 70's and 80's. How he did it was amazing. It was tough at times though, they couldn't afford to keep clothes on me because I'd grow out of my clothes every 6 months. It was crazy.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

My dad raised 6 kids and sent all of them to college. I don't know how he did it. Never had any financial aid for anyone in college, and never had a car note. Paid cash or wrote a check for everything he ever bought in his life except the house. Mom sewed a lot of our clothes (god, I hated when we had to go to the fabric store and look at patterns and fabric, but at least she allowed us some input. The biggest thing my folks did was one - save the money and then buy, not buy and then pay for it forever, and two - bought quality and kept stuff forever, instead of redecorating every five years when the cheap stuff fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      In the end it all comes down to separating the Want from the Need. A concept that all too many people have a problem with these days. Along with Earn and Deserve.
                      Isn't our economy predicated on consumer confusion of need/want?

Comment

I predict before this economic mess we are in gets cured a lot of people will be figuring out how....
                        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                          Isn't our economy predicated on consumer confusion of need/want?
                          Absoultly. Have you noticed how many commercials use the " you deserve this " line. Not you earned it, or you worked your butt off for it or you scrimped and saved for it. nooooooooooo You "deserve it"

We do a lot of work in section 8 housing. As dirt poor as these folks are, 9 out of 10 of them are sporting a big screen tv, xbox360, all the kids have cell phones and computers, wearing Aeropostal clothes all because " they deserve it" No more welfare coupons, now they have a debit/credit card courtesy of you and me because the old "welfare card" made them feel bad about themselves.

What most of these folks "deserve" is my boot up their A&*

If you don't have it... Don't spend it !
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Absoultly. Have you noticed how many commercials use the " you deserve this " line. Not you earned it, or you worked your butt off for it or you scrimped and saved for it. nooooooooooo You "deserve it"

We do a lot of work in section 8 housing. As dirt poor as these folks are, 9 out of 10 of them are sporting a big screen tv, xbox360, all the kids have cell phones and computers, wearing Aeropostal clothes all because " they deserve it" No more welfare coupons, now they have a debit/credit card courtesy of you and me because the old "welfare card" made them feel bad about themselves.

What most of these folks "deserve" is my boot up their A&*

If you don't have it... Don't spend it !
                            That line "If you don't have it, don't spend it!" should be tatooed on the forehead of many folks as a reminder. The message should also get through to our legislators who keep digging the hole deeper.

Comment

NHMaster3015 - There is a difference between a hand up and a hand out. I think all of us do not have a problem with offering a hand up to someone or some family that is down on hard times. But a hand out just rewards lack of self esteem and ethics.

Comment

Can a family of four live on 19k/yr? Sure.
                                But I'd rather live on 100k/yr. Its more---comfortable.
                                And besides, the long hours at work keep me out of trouble.
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X