Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

I am wondering,

Could you live with a salary of $19,990 a year with a family of four?

2 kids , yourself and a domestic partner

Let me know our thoughts,

I think you could in the right places with the right budgeting,

You?

Re: Could You Live On 19k a year with a family of 4?

Yes.

J.C.

Comment

Not within a hundred miles of here.

Well, Appalachia....maybe

Comment

I think my SIL said he made $8000 this last year, and is not on any government programs.
        they have two kids and he and his wife. (he got that west Nile a few years ago and it is hard for him to put in much more than about 6 hr in a day unless it fairly light work),
        they are creative in making ends meet. and they do pay there bills.
        Last edited by BHD; 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well I am not a family of four but its my daughter and me, and this year with my taking ill a few times this year I only made 17k this year. I have to say no way a family of four can live on 19k I barely made it on 17k.

I tried to get into cheaper housing but the banks do not want to look at a guy making the kind of money I did and having a Judgment from the ex-wife's repo on my credit report. I mean heck I am paying just a hair over 1500 a month for rent, right now. I have found houses for under 80K that would suit my needs perfectly so my monthly nut for housing would go down to around $600 a month which means I would be able to pay of medical bills the judgment and other things. But the banks do not look at things like that so sadly I am stuck in a place that is eating away every penny I earn.

The other sad fact of me taking ill when I did is the company took a hit as well. I hope now that I am healthier, things will turn around. Just need to get the phone to ring again.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

you sure can "live" on that and much less. It might not be what you are use to or like but many are doing it now.

Eating lots of cheap foods and no extra spending money for entertainment, eating out, or extra stuff. Hopefully everything is paid for so the only money going out would be for utilities, insurance, gas, food, etc., just the essentials.

My wife grew up poor as dirt, her dad worked in the coal mines of Kentucky and lived in a camp house. This was a family of six, lot of hard work, faith and prays were put into it also. Hard times for her growing up but it really gave her some character that most will never have.

To answer your question, YES!
            Will it be easy, NO!

G3

Comment

Lets see health insurance for a family of 4 is roughly $900 a month, housing for lets say something around $800 a month then food cost avg. would be $400 a month (on the low side), clothing $50 a month, electric bill $200 a month, gas bill $200 a month six months out of the year, car insurance about $50 a month, gas for car $200 a month, Phone bill, school fees, cable bill etc etc etc....... There is no way a family of 4 could live on 19k a year unless you get help from our government in the form of medicare, food stamps and a housing allowance.
              ________
              Essential Vaaapp Vaporizer
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                you sure can "live" on that and much less. It might not be what you are use to or like but many are doing it now.

Eating lots of cheap foods and no extra spending money for entertainment, eating out, or extra stuff. Hopefully everything is paid for so the only money going out would be for utilities, insurance, gas, food, etc., just the essentials.

My wife grew up poor as dirt, her dad worked in the coal mines of Kentucky and lived in a camp house. This was a family of six, lot of hard work, faith and prays were put into it also. Hard times for her growing up but it really gave her some character that most will never have.

To answer your question, YES!
                Will it be easy, NO!

G3
                Are you kidding? A person can easily live off of $19,000 a year. It's called making so little to qualify for government assistance! A family that spends money that isn't their own will never have to worry about expenses!

I would do it myself if I was the right demographic!

Comment

NOPE not on 19k Hell I'm having a hard time with one child and wife and she works too.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

well let's see.

Give up the cell phones
                    Give up the cable
                    Give up the internet
                    Drive a 15 year old Honda Civic
                    Don't eat out - EVER
                    No snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, motor cycles or any other toys that cost money to operate
                    No Beer or Alcohol
                    No recreational drugs
                    No going to the Movies
                    No going to nightclubs and bars
                    Give up all club and team memberships
                    Do all grocery shopping at Wal-Mart
                    Do all clothes shopping at Goodwill
                    No air conditioning
                    Keep thermostats at 60 in the winter
                    Buy all shoes at Payless 2 for 1
                    Only flush toilets twice a day
                    3 minute showers max.

Can it be done........ HELL NO
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                      Lets seehealth insurance for a family of 4 is roughly $900 a month, housing for lets say something around $800 a month then food cost avg. would be $400 a month (on the low side), clothing $50 a month, electric bill $200 a month, gas bill $200 a month six months out of the year, car insurance about $50 a month, gas for car $200 a month, Phone bill, school fees, cable bill etc etc etc....... There is no way a family of 4 could live on 19k a year unless you get help from our government in the form of medicare, food stamps and a housing allowance.
                      HAHA cable bill indeed, I guess you also have that 60" plasma going too..............we are talking survival mode with kids involved.

heat in the winter for sure but AC in the summer not really needed. Warm baths instead of hot showers, recycling lots of things, shop at the good will for clothing, planting a garden, hunt and fish for food not sport. A big freezer and root cellar are a huge plus.

Hopefully your house and cars are paid for to get that off of your back.

Comment

out here, you would spend that on a 2 bedroom apartment.

housing cost are what really breaks up the equation.

sure, it can be done in the right location, but out here is not that location.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

A two bedroom apartment here runs you $1,800 per month or $21,600 per year. That said, the husband and wife across the Highway from my place in Utah survived on $8,000 per year and still owned a couple of really old quads to play on. A couple of years ago "Black Lung" from working in the mines finally took him. She bought a new vehicle, a new quad, a new jacuzzi bathtub and a bit of property with his life insurance and now she is back to frugal living.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It is done every day, especially around where I live. I can't tell you how many times I find people that are on government assistance, yet leave the heat on with the windows open in the middle of winter! and for that "little something....extra" you can see that nice flatscreen TV through the windows and a Dish mounted on their roofs!

Any family that complains about making $19,000 is gaming the system, and they know it!

Comment

Heat is not an issue for me as long as I have neighbor's above me and next door, I never have to run my heat. For a few years I had a lady next door to me that had pet lizards so she kept her place in the high 80's and upstairs was an Indian family that kept their place very warm as well. So for them years I had NiCor Gas turn my meter off so I would not get a monthly maintenance bill.

I have applied for government assistance, I get turned down each and every time I apply. They do not understand I work on strictly commission so I can not show them a steady paycheck. They did give me medical coverage, but no food stamps or cash assistance. It is screwy who does get food stamps and cash assistance have brand new cars in their driveway, 60" Plasma TV's and all sorts of nice stuff. Where I barely squeak by I have a 10 year old 20" TV, no cable or satellite. Just a old dvd player.

I make due though, things would be much better now these days if the damn phone starts ringing with paying jobs. I am getting sick of answering the phone and half the time its some salesman wanting to sell me something I do not need. Or someone calling saying they want to update your online listing but all it is, is a scam where they get you to answer a bunch of yes and no questions. Then you next phone bill will have some 45.99 charge on it you never seen before and you call to plain and they play back a doctored recording of you answering questions that are not what they originally asked you. For example:

1. Is the name of your company XYZ Plumbing Services?
                              You answer yes

2. You current address is 123 everyday street Nowhereville, IL?
                              They mess this one up on purpose so you say no then you give them the right address

3. is your phone number 123-123-1234?
                              They mess this one up as well so you will give them the proper phone number.

So when you get the bill and you hear the recording the questions they put your answers to is:

1. Am I speaking to the owner or person authorized to make decisions for XYZ Plumbing Services?

2. We are offering to put you in our online listings for 45.99 a month do you have any questions?
                              They cut it to where you just say no

3. Can you verify the billing address for your phone bill?
                              Now they take the second part of the second question you originally answered and play it here.

4. To authorize us to charge you phone bill for our services can you state your phone number.

I am sorry for the rant.. but I hope the last part helps any of you that might get a call like this.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              Ron's Facebook
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X