Free The Whales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free The Whales

When I heard about the trainer killer by a Killer Whale at Sea World today , I felt bad for the woman but I also felt bad for the Killer Whale. They take a magnificent animal that weighs over 13,000 lbs and imprison it in a tank then expect it to perform like a trained seal without tragic incidents.

Many years ago I was at Sea World watching the Killer Whale show, at one point the whale rose up from the water and tapped the trainer with it's snout. The trainer went flying back as if hit by a car, this was not part of the show. They immediately dropped a net across the pool and restricted the movement of the whale to a very small space. The voice over the loudspeaker said they were not hurting the whale, just letting it know it had performed poorly! Yeah, they were punishing the whale.

I know they justify these shows as educating the public, but it seems cruel to the animal. Tonight's News listed a three incident rap sheet againt this particular whale, come on it is a "Killer" whale. Society has a hard enough time domesticating mankind from killing one another, leave the dam whales alone.

Re: Free The Whales

Those are big smart critters that belong in the ocean. I have seen them a number of times in Puget Sound.

Roly

Comment

Can you imagine if it was a sperm whale? Oh my...
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That magnificent animal is now responsible for killing 3 people. think he's trying to tell them something?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          That magnificent animal is now responsible for killing 3 people. think he's trying to tell them something?
          I would place blame on the folks who brought him into an environment with humans. How many people are killed by Orcas in the wild? Kind of difficult to avoid deadly contact when folks are riding your back and you are a "Killer" Whale.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Exactly.

A this point in America, It seems COMMON SENSE has been overrun with Corporate GREED!

BTW: I love "words"

So when I see: "Killer Whale Kills Trainer"

I can only think DUH@@!! In my head, I am sorry, I feel bad for the lady that died BUT COME ON, It was a "killer" whale......

Why is ANYONE at Sea-world shocked.

Did Sea-world really think they were Jesus and they could change a species?

Its a Killer what that should have never been locked up anyhow.

Same with Zoo's - Sorry Folks - Beautiful Animals should not be forced to live this way

Comment

My FIL says:

"it's killed 3 people, doesn't that make it a Serial Killer Whale?"
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                My FIL says:

"it's killed 3 people, doesn't that make it a Serial Killer Whale?"

Sea-World Says: "If we can still sell tickets, its NOT a killer whale"
                (they, didn't say that but it seems that way)

But ya, Its a Serial Killer Whale in my world, but in the water the whale was just acting naturally

Comment

I'm onboard with trying to save the species by breeding them in captivity and then reintroducing them into the wild, but putting them into such close contact with humans and then blaming them for the results is wrong.

We know the results of incarcerating humans in small cells and severely restricting their movement, how do they think that 13,000lb animal must feel?

Comment

I'm thinking Darwin award
                    sigpic

Comment

With the Internet, cable TV, PBS, books, magazines, movies...... to say that places such as Sea World or your local zoo is educating the public, doesn't carry the same merit it may have even thirty years ago. I went to Sea World back in 95. I can't say I really learned anything new.

It breaks my heart to see the primates locked up in basically glorified prisons.

The trainer that trained the original Flipper(s), feels great remorse for the industry he helped spawn where people get to swim with the (captive) dolphins. These are extremely intelligent creatures and can only be fully appreciated in their natural environment.

While I may never see a Orca in the wild, or a silver back gorilla, I know the world is a better and more diverse place with these magnificent creatures doing what they do, where they do it.

Twilight Zone was way ahead of the curve on this one. Anyone remember the episode with Roddy McDowell as an astronaut sent to Mars?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                        With the Internet, cable TV, PBS, books, magazines, movies...... to say that places such as Sea World or your local zoo is educating the public, doesn't carry the same merit it may have even thirty years ago. I went to Sea World back in 95. I can't say I really learned anything new.

It breaks my heart to see the primates locked up in basically glorified prisons.

The trainer that trained the original Flipper(s), feels great remorse for the industry he helped spawn where people get to swim with the (captive) dolphins. These are extremely intelligent creatures and can only be fully appreciated in their natural environment.

While I may never see a Orca in the wild, or a silver back gorilla, I know the world is a better and more diverse place with these magnificent creatures doing what they do, where they do it.

Twilight Zone was way ahead of the curve on this one. Anyone remember the episode with Roddy McDowell as an astronaut sent to Mars?
                        Spiff, I remember that episode. We are only put off when the shoe is on the other foot. To get off the subject a bit, we had very thought provoking tv back in the day. Twilight Zone and Outer Limits gave us plenty to think about even in black and white. I can't remember if it was T.Z or O.L.'s but aliens had befriended earthlings and were taking some back to their home planet. A book they offered titled "How To Serve Mankind", man folks feel at ease until it was translated and found to be a cookbook!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudBfRa0ETw
                        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Well this shoots the whale I was planning on dating tonight!
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

"To Serve Man. It's a cookbook!!"

Twilight Zone.

Comment

I wonder how many Whale steaks you can get out of Shamu? Where'w Vince when you need him?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X