X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not "CHEE' LAY".

The talking heads are maddening. I'm tired of hearing pretentious "newscasters", when reporting on Chile, say "Chee' lay" or "Chee lay' an".
    I believe this particular affectation is even more annoying than them saying "Mos' coe" instead of Moscow.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: It's not "CHEE' LAY".

Mmmmmm, I heard food

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

We live in a world full of "copy cats". Of the many personalities that we see in the media, it appears that if one person says it, it's soon copied by everyone else and it is very rare indeed when we see someone who actually things for themselves.

Last night I heard one of the news personalities actually say "ch-LAY" in such a way that you barely heard the "che" and mostly it came across as "LAY" this and LAY" that.

But its that way everywhere in the news, weather, advertising business anymore. You see an original commercial and before you can blink, there's a dozen more commercials that have copied the theme.

ON the weather, every snow flake that comes down in the Northeast where I live has now become a "NOR-EASTER" and it's reached the point where all these college-degree types haven't a clue as to actually what a "nor-eastor" really is! That, and the so-called "black-ice" drive me right up the wall.

It's the same in the graphic design industry too. A decade ago, someone designed a logo with an "arc" (what I term the "Nike-swoop" under neath it.... and within three years there were over a hundred other logo's with this embellishment added. It reached the point where even our own company advertizing group wanted to add it to our logo.

Originality seems to be a lost art, I think.

CWS

Comment

I live in Orygun, not Oregone.

Comment

According to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary, under the Geographical Pronunciation's portion of the dictionary, (also called the gazetteer), it can be pronounced correctly either way. Sorry Slim.
          Cheers,
          Jim Don

PS When we think of the dish (food), it is spelled differently: chili
          Remember, we are dealing with a South American country with heavy Spanish influence, so the pronounciation of vowels differs greatly from what we are used to hearing.

Comment

the Chilean family i knew pronounced the country as "chill ay" and refered to themselves as "chill ay uns"

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
              the Chilean family i knew pronounced the country as "chill ay" and refered to themselves as "chill ay uns"

steve
              Of course they did. They were from Chile. When an English Speaking newscaster is talking to a predominantly English Speaking audience (at least until 2050) they should pronounce it the English language way imho.
              Do we say Italy or I tal' ia, do we say Germany or Deutchland (please pardon the spelling.

I would be willing to wager the Chilean newscasters don't say North Americans but Norte Americanos.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                I would be willing to wager the Chilean newscasters don't say North Americans but Norte Americanos.
                No they say "Gringos"
                411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Tomato

tuh mey toh or tuh mah toh

Grenada

gri ney duh or gri na duh

ya'll or yous

Does it really matter? Do we not know the person is saying? It is all in the world we live in.

Comment

Newscasters still have difficulty saying "Da Bronx" properly! I think where you grow up plays an important role in how you pronounce the names of places. Very hard to lose one's accent, with the exception of the coneheads. If they didn't say they were from France, I would have never known.

Comment

Working...
                    X