Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press for tube notching?

Greeings,

I was wondering if any of you use a rigid drill press for tube notching. I have tried with the harbor freight tube notching jig and astonishingly my chuck fell off the press. I am thinking maybe it wasnt on there completely and I am going to try cleaning it with acetone and remounting it. Anyway, I am into metalworking heavily and would like to hear from someone else that does notching with a rigid drill press.

Oh, by the way, dont say it doesnt have the power, I was able to finish it with my makita 18 volt drill and I would hope the press has more power.

-- Rells

Re: Drill press for tube notching?

Welcome to the site
    I was going to use my ryobi drill press but it was too small.I did use a ridgid 1/2" drill that did work

Comment

actually i have the ridgid drill press and the harbor freight notching jig.

i was able to notch 1'' od stainless tubing and only had an issue with the hole saw. stainless is a rough material to drill.

the drill press is a nice machine. i only wish that the variable speed wasn't a set of 2 belts. it would be great/ expensive to put a dc variable speed motor in it.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

really if your in to metal working, and your a serious metal worker,
        If you can save up and get a drill mill or shop for a used Bridgeport milling machine, you will not be sorry, the reason most of the them the chucks pop off a drill press is there is some type of side pressure and the taper will not hold on the side pressure with out a draw bar, (thus even with a compound vice you can not do small milling jobs), (actually there is a way to doing it by it is not by milling but by drilling with a 2 flute milling cutter, and keep drill off the material not by side cutting, a mill can drill off the edge, but one may still pop the chuck),

I bought a floor stand drill press years ago, (foreign made, and for what it is it is a good drill press), but later I got a used Bridgeport mill, there is not even a comparison, I have the drill press in the wood shop and the Bridgeport in the metal shop, and after using the Bridgeport the "drill press seems like a toy".

jsut my oppinion,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Welders use these a lot. try the hobart weld talk forum. Go to the equept. section or just ask up in the top section ,good luck
          Last edited by toolaholic; 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            really if your in to metal working, and your a serious metal worker,
            If you can save up and get a drill mill or shop for a used Bridgeport milling machine, you will not be sorry, the reason most of the them the chucks pop off a drill press is there is some type of side pressure and the taper will not hold on the side pressure with out a draw bar, (thus even with a compound vice you can not do small milling jobs), (actually there is a way to doing it by it is not by milling but by drilling with a 2 flute milling cutter, and keep drill off the material not by side cutting, a mill can drill off the edge, but one may still pop the chuck),

I bought a floor stand drill press years ago, (foreign made, and for what it is it is a good drill press), but later I got a used Bridgeport mill, there is not even a comparison, I have the drill press in the wood shop and the Bridgeport in the metal shop, and after using the Bridgeport the "drill press seems like a toy".

jsut my oppinion,

Yeah well a 4000$ (USED) milling machine is significantly OUT OF budget. I cant believe everyone doign roll cages or other tubing work owns one.

Comment

when I found mine it was setting in a door way of a machine shop with a for sale sign on it, I payed about a thousand for it, it is a 1956 unit, at first I ran it with a static phase converter, yes even the $1000 was lot for me, but I have never regretted it,(they had bought 3 of them at an auction for the tooling that was on the table)

you said your in to metal work
              "I am into metalworking heavily"
              and if your into and do a lot, I do not think you would ever regret the investment. I did not say go out and buy a $4000 machine.
              when it comes to used industrial equipment some times the prices can be fairly low.

no I am sure many who cut tubing or build roll cages do not have full pledge machine shops,

(I guess what I was trying to say was, If I knew then what I know now, I would have never spend the money on a home type drill press, (I bought it for metal work, originally, and yes they will drill a 1/2" hole but most they have too small of belts, (the Ridgid spindle does not accept a mortise taper, on the taper on the chuck), on most units, the motor is IMO under powered,
              if your wanting to do hole saw cutting in metal with some control of the down feed, thin tubing is harder than thick, as the teeth do not support each other, and drill any hole larger than 5/8" the home type drill press is very minimal, (yes it can do it and it is better than a hand drill in a stand. or a hand drill)
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Again, a milling machine is out of budget. If I had 1000 to blow on a machine, assuming I could find one even running for that, then I could better use that elsewhere in the shop. And again, I would bet that 1 in 1000 people that do metal work in their home garage have one. In fact that number is probably high. It can be reccomended all you want but it is out of the parameters of the equation. That is like sticking to the "buy a mercedes s-class" line when the user tells you he can only afford 20k and is looking for the best car for his money.

So I need a solution within my budget, not a wish for something I cant afford. Given that those other estimated 999 people have some kind of solution, that is why I made the post.

Comment

go over to www.weldingweb.com and look up ztfab, he does some of the best work you will ever see with roll cages and tubing. I looked for his post on what he used to fishmouth tubing but could not locate it. He uses the tubing notcher like the one posted with a half inch hand drill.

take a look at it, nice stuff.

G3

Comment

Working...
                  X