Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Letter To My Congressman

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    The voters of California cannot vote Pelosi out as only the 8th District (San Francisco) votes for her, where her approval rating is around 80%. No question she is here to stay.

Mark
    It's a sad day when San Francisco can shake the whole US...
    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
      That's why I chuckled a little bit when she told her fellow Democrats they needed to be brave and vote for the Bill regardless of what their constituents wanted because the Bill is more important then their jobs. Having a District which votes 80% Democrat makes it much easier for her to say that but still don't congressman represent their constituents and their wants? Pelosi's mentality is to force it though because the opponents just don't understand it but will learn to love it.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

SF has always been extremely liberal and, in case you're not familiar with the area.... well, let me just offer that it's not surprising.

Scarier still is that California, a pretty influential and important state in very many areas - despite pockets of conservatives - is so steadfastly liberal. The Senators from CA, especially Barbara Boxer, are really a worse problem and have caused more heartburn than Pelosi just because they've been on the scene for so long.

I'm allowed to complain, I'm from CA and didn't vote for/support any of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
          SF has always been extremely liberal and, in case you're not familiar with the area.... well, let me just offer that it's not surprising.

Scarier still is that California, a pretty influential and important state in very many areas - despite pockets of conservatives - is so steadfastly liberal. The Senators from CA, especially Barbara Boxer, are really a worse problem and have caused more heartburn than Pelosi just because they've been on the scene for so long.

I'm allowed to complain, I'm from CA and didn't vote for/support any of 'em.
          Actually they say Boxer is still below 50% for the first time ever.

Mark

Comment

For those of you who want to demonize SanFransisco what's actually an issue there? It is a city that has been a bastion of liberal ideas. Based on what is to be said about liberals, I'd imagine living there would be hell on earth. Statistically it ends up being one of the top cities in the US to live in.

San Fransisco has some of the lowest unemployment rates in the country
            It has health care for all, everyone in the city gets the medical care they need.
            Preschool, before-school and after school programs are provided for all who want them
            some highest performing public schools in the country
            Lowest urban crime rates in the country
            Minimum wage is 9.79
            term limits for all major public positions
            Environmentally one of the greenest cities out there, only Portland appears to be moving faster in that direction.

Those liberals seem to have made a pretty nice place to live for themselves maybe the rest of us could stop and learn from them rather then point at them and say they are ruining the country.

Honestly I don't support the ideals that have led to SanFransisco success. I'd prefer that a society achieves its greatness through personal responsibility and individual achievement. But those ideals haven't been in place for some time and are much harder to reinforce.

Our political parties have turned away from what is good for the country in favor of what is good for their party. Both run on the platform of not being the other guy.

Watching politics has become more like watching a sporting event. You have people routing for blue team(Democrats) or cheering on red team(Republicans) while the NFL(corporations) takes all the profits. They keep playing the same dam game over and over again. Meanwhile the rest of the world is moving on to another sport.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
              For those of you who want to demonize SanFransisco what's actually an issue there? It is a city that has been a bastion of liberal ideas. Based on what is to be said about liberals, I'd imagine living there would be hell on earth. Statistically it ends up being one of the top cities in the US to live in.

It has health care for all, everyone in the city gets the medical care they need.
              Preschool, before-school and after school programs are provided for all who want them
              Minimum wage is 9.79
              Environmentally one of the greenest cities out there, only Portland appears to be moving faster in that direction.

Those liberals seem to have made a pretty nice place to live for themselves maybe the rest of us could stop and learn from them rather then point at them and say they are ruining the country.

Honestly I don't support the ideals that have led to SanFransisco success. I'd prefer that a society achieves its greatness through personal responsibility and individual achievement. But those ideals haven't been in place for some time and are much harder to reinforce.

Our political parties have turned away from what is good for the country in favor of what is good for their party. Both run on the platform of not being the other guy.

Watching politics has become more like watching a sporting event. You have people routing for blue team(Democrats) or cheering on red team(Republicans) while the NFL(corporations) takes all the profits. They keep playing the same dam game over and over again. Meanwhile the rest of the world is moving on to another sport.
              Reading the progression of these Threads and posts, I believe more of us are in agreement that neither political party has had or will have our best interests at heart. There will be little strongholds of liberal and conservative success around the country, but they do not represent the growing number of failures.

You could say we are bystanders, watching the fixed game but we are really part of that game. I ask again, what can we expect the future to hold?
              How long before the fixed game ends in a riot by angry spectators?

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post

Minimum wage is 9.79

Unless I missed something I believe the criticism was of Pelosi not San Francisco. As for San Fransisco, I have to work there on occasion and other than the fact everything is so overpriced ($37 to park downtown) I've never had a problem. However, now if you eat in San Fransisco, in addition to the almost 10% California Sales Tax you pay a 4-5% Health Plan Surcharge which is added to the bill. Many complain about the surcharge but I would rather see upfront how much extra is charged because of the Health Plan then the businesses which just hide it in their markup.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Reading the progression of these Threads and posts, I believe more of us are in agreement that neither political party has had or will have our best interests at heart. There will be little strongholds of liberal and conservative success around the country, but they do not represent the growing number of failures.

You could say we are bystanders, watching the fixed game but we are really part of that game. I ask again, what can we expect the future to hold?
                  How long before the fixed game ends in a riot by angry spectators?
                  Now you're talking. What do you think the original Tea Party was???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    That's why I chuckled a little bit when she told her fellow Democrats they needed to be brave and vote for the Bill regardless of what their constituents wanted because the Bill is more important then their jobs. Having a District which votes 80% Democrat makes it much easier for her to say that but still don't congressman represent their constituents and their wants? Pelosi's mentality is to force it though because the opponents just don't understand it but will learn to love it.

Mark
                    Mark, your observation kind of sums up the problem, not only regarding Pelosi but about the behavior of Congress in general. Namely, that the constituents need only to be kept happy enough to re-elect, so the party/special interest agenda can be worked.

Pelosi isn't unusual in that attitude... it's pervasive... it just happens that she's just oblivious enough to where her loyalty *should* reside that she verbalized it for all to hear.

Strikes me that it's the same arrogance and disrespect for the American Citizen that was present when the other team, under Bush 43, manufactured a story to get us into a war. I'm sure we can all recount dozens of similar examples from both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Now you're talking. What do you think the original Tea Party was???

J.C.
                      Unfortunately todays Tea Party is nothing like the original version.

Comment

Unfortunately todays Tea Party is nothing like the original version.
                        I would hate to think what our government would do to squash any real uprising by angry taxpayers. I think it's like that with many of our rights or freedoms, go right ahead and say anything you want as long as you don't pose any real threat.

Comment

I would hate to think what our government would do to squash any real uprising by angry taxpayers. I think it's like that with many of our rights or freedoms, go right ahead and say anything you want as long as you don't pose any real threat.
                          Said it before.

20 people pissed at the government and demanding radical change are labeled a bunch of nuts.

20,000 demanding the exact same things are put in history books and studied by your grandkids.

It's always been numbers, how unsatisfactory things are, and what people are willing to do.

People are WAY far from suffering enough yet. This is all just b!tching therapy right now.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Said it before.

20 people pissed at the government and demanding radical change are labeled a bunch of nuts.

20,000 demanding the exact same things are put in history books and studied by your grandkids.

It's always been numbers, how unsatisfactory things are, and what people are willing to do.

People are WAY far from suffering enough yet. This is all just b!tching therapy right now.

J.C.
                            I think you guys are right.

What we will see is an increase in attacks such as the guy in Texas that flew his plane into the IRS office or, the Pentagon gunman...

They will be discounted as nut jobs...

Business will go on as usual in government.

At some point when things get bad enough, and the people are desperate enough there will be an incident that sparks a reaction. Much like Paul's midnight ride....

Comment

Whether you recognize the current Tea Party or not, the first tax day protest last year had a low estimate of 240,000 with only counting half of the locations to a high of 1,500,000 reported by ABC. It seems the real number was closer to 350,000. Assuming the current Tea party is still growing they will have a voice. The fact Pelosi is trying to warm up to them now says a lot about their presence.

Not joining, just saying.

Mark

Comment

I think you guys are right.

What we will see is an increase in attacks such as the guy in Texas that flew his plane into the IRS office or, the Pentagon gunman...

They will be discounted as nut jobs...

Business will go on as usual in government.

At some point when things get bad enough, and the people are desperate enough there will be an incident that sparks a reaction. Much like Paul's midnight ride....
                                Just in case Big Brother is reading, we're just kidding. Heck the government is doing a great job, nothing to complain about, right guys? We all support the President's brilliant healthcare plan, couldn't be more pleased. Hey, the rising unemployment and increased debt to communist china, no biggie.

Seriously, I agree that we will probably be hearing about more desperate folks acting out as things get worse. Right now like J.C. mentioned it's just not at that point. Most of us are just bitching and projecting, but it sure looks like we are on the road to it getting beyond the talking stage. Exactly what form these protest or outbursts will take is anyone's guess?

Comment

Working...
                                X