Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Letter To My Congressman Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Letter To My Congressman

    Even though I unsubscribed for e-mails from my congressman who has not responded to letters I have sent, I just got another one tonight. In this recent e-mail he goes on to say that I must confirm that I want to receive e-mails from his office because such mailing near election time are not allowed without specific consent. I decided to write to his office one more time.

    " Dear Mr. Himes,

    My letters to you have gone unanswered with the exception of some form letters, which I find insulting. I am certain democratic politicians up for reelection will be overwhelming defeated, due to their choice to follow party agenda and ignore the electorate that got them in office. You included!
    I voted for change, not the same old washington politics, Americans dying in wars, empty promises of green jobs and alternative energies, etc. You and your colleagues had a golden opportunity to show us something wonderful and wasted it, wasted precious time. I feel our nation is doomed, jobs and businesses that will never return or be replaced, increased debt to communist china. Many feel as I do, republicans and democrats in office act much the same. I will not be happy to vote for republicans, but I'll be damed if I allow this behavior your party has shown to continue."

  • #2
    Re: Letter To My Congressman

    Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Even though I unsubscribed for e-mails from my congressman who has not responded to letters I have sent, I just got another one tonight. In this recent e-mail he goes on to say that I must confirm that I want to receive e-mails from his office because such mailing near election time are not allowed without specific consent. I decided to write to his office one more time.

    " Dear Mr. Himes,

    My letters to you have gone unanswered with the exception of some form letters, which I find insulting. I am certain democratic politicians up for reelection will be overwhelming defeated, due to their choice to follow party agenda and ignore the electorate that got them in office. You included!
    I voted for change, not the same old washington politics, Americans dying in wars, empty promises of green jobs and alternative energies, etc. You and your colleagues had a golden opportunity to show us something wonderful and wasted it, wasted precious time. I feel our nation is doomed, jobs and businesses that will never return or be replaced, increased debt to communist china. Many feel as I do, republicans and democrats in office act much the same. I will not be happy to vote for republicans, but I'll be damed if I allow this behavior your party has shown to continue."
    Frank,

    Thanks for doing this! I honestly believe that such letters have a small but definite impact. If we ALL wrote....

    My congressional representative is Zoe Lofgren, CA 16th district. I write her about 7 -10 times a year, depending on what Congress is doing, or failing to do.

    It helps if you tell them specifically what you want them to do, as well as what they're doing wrong. I harp on a coherent national energy policy as an urgent number one priority in EVERY letter, no matter what the topic. As you know I have a long list of things that need doing.... but I would be happy to get a reasonable energy policy as a start.

    I'm sure I'm not her favorite constituent. But I don't get form letter replies any more, so I think she is reading.

    Thanks again. Keep writing.

    -Andy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Letter To My Congressman

      Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      Frank,

      Thanks for doing this! I honestly believe that such letters have a small but definite impact. If we ALL wrote....

      My congressional representative is Zoe Lofgren, CA 16th district. I write her about 7 -10 times a year, depending on what Congress is doing, or failing to do.

      It helps if you tell them specifically what you want them to do, as well as what they're doing wrong. I harp on a coherent national energy policy as an urgent number one priority in EVERY letter, no matter what the topic. As you know I have a long list of things that need doing.... but I would be happy to get a reasonable energy policy as a start.

      I'm sure I'm not her favorite constituent. But I don't get form letter replies any more, so I think she is reading.

      Thanks again. Keep writing.

      -Andy
      Andy, I have been communicating my concerns, but it's like knocking my head against the wall. When I get a reply back that does not address any of my concerns, I do get upset and discouraged. As I read some of the legislation he is either supporting or introducing, I realize they move at a snails pace and involve things that are very minor in the grand scheme.

      I seriously don't think we have the time necessary to conduct business as usual in washington. They need to prioritize and move swiftly, but since that has not and probably will not happen, what will hapen?

      Let's assume whether or not the dems pass healthcare, will there be time to unite the parties and fix the economy and some other troubling issues facing our nation? I think my congressman was doing something on transportation, can you imagine with all the fires around us he would be dealing with transportation?

      Personally, I hope I'm wrong but all things point to the clock running out and all levels of government failing. I'm still waiting for some smart person to tell me exactly how our economy will turn around, that' if we could get our legislators to heed such advice?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Letter To My Congressman

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Andy, I have been communicating my concerns, but it's like knocking my head against the wall. When I get a reply back that does not address any of my concerns, I do get upset and discouraged. As I read some of the legislation he is either supporting or introducing, I realize they move at a snails pace and involve things that are very minor in the grand scheme.

        I seriously don't think we have the time necessary to conduct business as usual in washington. They need to prioritize and move swiftly, but since that has not and probably will not happen, what will hapen?

        Let's assume whether or not the dems pass healthcare, will there be time to unite the parties and fix the economy and some other troubling issues facing our nation? I think my congressman was doing something on transportation, can you imagine with all the fires around us he would be dealing with transportation?

        Personally, I hope I'm wrong but all things point to the clock running out and all levels of government failing. I'm still waiting for some smart person to tell me exactly how our economy will turn around, that' if we could get our legislators to heed such advice?
        You are right. I hear the clock ticking too. Loudly.

        Criticizing one party or the other, defending one party or the other... useless.

        Washington politicos won't get it done because they don't get it at all. They live in an insulated little world of silk suits and $5000 dollar-a-plate breakfasts attended by lobbyists that spoon feed them a VERY filtered and slanted view of the world.

        It's our own fault. We let this thing get away from us in the last 40 years. Not our father's fault. Our generation. We screwed up. We drank the kool-aid and we trusted the system instead of being vigilant. We turned off our BS detectors and disconnected common sense. We believed things that were just clearly nonsense and we found comfort by being in denial at all the things that were starting to fall apart. What the heck, we had houses, cars and cable tv with 300 channels.

        Well not they're not starting to fall apart anymore, the wheels have come off of this buggy.

        I wonder when people are going to realize that without the strongest economy in the world we CANNOT have the strongest military. And without that we will no longer have the security that is the very first necessity of a free society.

        I wonder when our highly educted public is going to realize that despite all the complex economic babble from the Greenspans and Bernankes, Paulsens and Geithners, and the Harvard business geniuses, that if your economy only consumes, and doesn't produce anything, you're living on borrowed time. People with almost no education working for a buck an hour in Asia seem to get this complicated concept... maybe we're too busy with facebook, twitter, iphones and Entertainment Tonight to find the time to think about the issue....

        There is no silver bullet. All that we can rely on is strength in numbers. And if we, as I fear, can't muster the numbers because too many of us choose to line up behind our favorite politician du jour or party of puppets, and wait for that savior to save the day... or maybe too many of us are just too bloody apathetic to give a rat's fuzzy derriere... well, I guess then as a group we deserve what we get.

        But I'm not ready to give up yet. And I hope you're not either. There could be a lot of us out there with similar ideas, sensibilities and fears. I do hope and pray there are, anyway.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Letter To My Congressman

          Writing, Speaking out, educating others. There are things we can do. Its frustrating as all get out. We have ourselves in a scary situation and we are being led places we don't want to go by an administration that seems to think they know whats best for us even if we disagree.

          Keeping spreading truth, be civil and educated in your statements and responses, and don't give up hope. Freedom and Liberty are becoming lost words. People need to be reminded why our country is great.

          Josh

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Letter To My Congressman

            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Even though I unsubscribed for e-mails from my congressman who has not responded to letters I have sent, I just got another one tonight. In this recent e-mail he goes on to say that I must confirm that I want to receive e-mails from his office because such mailing near election time are not allowed without specific consent. I decided to write to his office one more time.

            " Dear Mr. Himes,

            My letters to you have gone unanswered with the exception of some form letters, which I find insulting. I am certain democratic politicians up for reelection will be overwhelming defeated, due to their choice to follow party agenda and ignore the electorate that got them in office. You included!
            I voted for change, not the same old washington politics, Americans dying in wars, empty promises of green jobs and alternative energies, etc. You and your colleagues had a golden opportunity to show us something wonderful and wasted it, wasted precious time. I feel our nation is doomed, jobs and businesses that will never return or be replaced, increased debt to communist china. Many feel as I do, republicans and democrats in office act much the same. I will not be happy to vote for republicans, but I'll be damed if I allow this behavior your party has shown to continue."
            Frank,

            You're are looking for instant gratification. What are you going to do when the GOP gets control of the congress and things don't change or gets worse after 1 year?

            I hope the GOP gets control of the house and senate.They ****ed it up, they need to fix it. What did the GOP majorities in the house and senate do during the Bush years? Started two wars, expanded Medicare which now they want to do away with and plunged us into debt while cutting taxes for their Wall Street cohorts.

            The GOP always has answers to problems when they aren't in control. Maybe they'll pony up this time and actually try to repair the damage they caused, instead of blaming all of their failures on the minority party.

            I'd be willing to bet Mr. Himes will look pretty good to you by 2011.

            James

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Letter To My Congressman

              Originally posted by Josh View Post
              Writing, Speaking out, educating others. There are things we can do. Its frustrating as all get out. We have ourselves in a scary situation and we are being led places we don't want to go by an administration that seems to think they know whats best for us even if we disagree.

              Keeping spreading truth, be civil and educated in your statements and responses, and don't give up hope. Freedom and Liberty are becoming lost words. People need to be reminded why our country is great.

              Josh
              Josh, except for the occassional person who goes over the edge, our frustration is limited to angry conversations with folks we know and places like this where we can exchange with folks from all over.

              If the problem was just with the current administration, the cure would be to vote them out which I think will happen, unfortunately many of us believe former republican administrations did little to prevent our many current serious situations as well.

              We are frustrated because as big as the USA is, if we keep losing jobs, spending money we don't have and borrowing, the outlook is bleak. I am confident none of us here will do anything stupid, but what can we really do that is smart and will make a change? Sure like I wrote my congressman, I will not stand for what is happening and vote him and the rest out, but look at where that leaves us. Those slow churning washington wheels will not speed up and fix all the wrong just because republicans win the vote.

              I am very concerned because I think I'm at the very least right about politicians, and I'm right about the economy needing just it does not have and will not get.

              I hate to be a downer, but where is the fix? How did smart minds we elected over the last forty or so years, fail to see where we were headed?
              If you had a choice to live within your means or go into debt with your enemy, I'm sure you would cut back spending. I still can't get over how we gave up our ability to produce what we consume and borrow from communists?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Letter To My Congressman

                I have a Congressman that listen to me and shares my values, I have two Senators and an Executive Office who are polar opposites of me. No matter what my Congressman does for me he cannot fight against the rest. That I believe is what the Tea Party does. There are a lot of dopes in the Tea Party but there are a lot of people like us who are tired of Washington and tired of not being heard. I just may attend the next local event just to hear what they have to say. After all it is our Government and they work for us.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Letter To My Congressman

                  Originally posted by James P View Post
                  Frank,

                  You're are looking for instant gratification. What are you going to do when the GOP gets control of the congress and things don't change or gets worse after 1 year?

                  I hope the GOP gets control of the house and senate.They ****ed it up, they need to fix it. What did the GOP majorities in the house and senate do during the Bush years? Started two wars, expanded Medicare which now they want to do away with and plunged us into debt while cutting taxes for their Wall Street cohorts.

                  The GOP always has answers to problems when they aren't in control. Maybe they'll pony up this time and actually try to repair the damage they caused, instead of blaming all of their failures on the minority party.

                  I'd be willing to bet Mr. Himes will look pretty good to you by 2011.

                  James
                  James, I did not see your post when I wrote the one before this one. I agree that a republican administration will do nothing to bring about change.
                  We probably need sweeping reform of some kind that would include bold changes in our national priorities. Where would we start? Could we transition away from foreign goods and build fast enough to employ Americans and provide what we consume? IS that even the right answer or part of it?

                  Would our brave troops be of more use right here protecting our borders and building a new productive America? The two parties have hurt America with wars that killed our young and put us in debt with our enemy. I am upset and frustrated, and I don't see either party working to change course.
                  I'm wondering when the last straw breaks America's back? When do we reach the point of too many jobs lost and too much foreign debt, that we collapse? Can that happen or am I being uninformed and talking foolishly?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Letter To My Congressman

                    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I have a Congressman that listen to me and shares my values, I have two Senators and an Executive Office who are polar opposites of me. No matter what my Congressman does for me he cannot fight against the rest. That I believe is what the Tea Party does. There are a lot of dopes in the Tea Party but there are a lot of people like us who are tired of Washington and tired of not being heard. I just may attend the next local event just to hear what they have to say. After all it is our Government and they work for us.

                    Mark
                    Mark, if they truly worked for us and not their special interest, then I don't see why our borders remained open all these years through many administration changes. If they worked for us, why did neither party when in power stand up and say the global economy, free trade, fair trade and capitalism will have to take a back seat because we are not going to stand by and do nothing while the grave is being dug for America!

                    Politicians working for us does not or should not mean putting the needs and wants of local districts above what's good for the country on a whole.
                    They saw jobs leaving by the tens of thousands, things getting out of hand with state and city governments, but did nothing.

                    I've been proudly defending my Union beliefs for a long time, but reason must prevail over ideals. We could not afford to lose jobs overseas, and we could not afford to bargain contracts that could not be honored down the road. What do we do now? Now that we see America failing on every governmental level and economic level, how do we fix the damage?

                    Healthcare won't fix the economy, bring back jobs, stop the wars we can't fund, make our country safe. We need a different kind of political agenda, and people who are smart enough and independant enough to see it through. Not the same old campaign promises, times run out in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Letter To My Congressman

                      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      James, I did not see your post when I wrote the one before this one. I agree that a republican administration will do nothing to bring about change.
                      We probably need sweeping reform of some kind that would include bold changes in our national priorities. Where would we start? Could we transition away from foreign goods and build fast enough to employ Americans and provide what we consume? IS that even the right answer or part of it?

                      Would our brave troops be of more use right here protecting our borders and building a new productive America? The two parties have hurt America with wars that killed our young and put us in debt with our enemy. I am upset and frustrated, and I don't see either party working to change course.
                      I'm wondering when the last straw breaks America's back? When do we reach the point of too many jobs lost and too much foreign debt, that we collapse? Can that happen or am I being uninformed and talking foolishly?
                      IMHO it's the right answer.

                      If we can convince industry to produce goods here instead of overseas would be the place to start.
                      This is what pisses me off most about Obama, he's hasn't addressed the loss of jobs to third world countries.I think heatlh insurance reform is important. But if nobody has a job, you can't afford it. So who cares? I'd be biting on the backsides of every corporation including Emerson that sent jobs overseas to get them the hell back home! On the other hand. It would be a hard sell to most Americans to break their appetite for cheap goods from China.

                      James

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Letter To My Congressman

                        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Mark, if they truly worked for us and not their special interest, then I don't see why our borders remained open all these years through many administration changes. If they worked for us, why did neither party when in power stand up and say the global economy, free trade, fair trade and capitalism will have to take a back seat because we are not going to stand by and do nothing while the grave is being dug for America!

                        Politicians working for us does not or should not mean putting the needs and wants of local districts above what's good for the country on a whole.
                        They saw jobs leaving by the tens of thousands, things getting out of hand with state and city governments, but did nothing.

                        I've been proudly defending my Union beliefs for a long time, but reason must prevail over ideals. We could not afford to lose jobs overseas, and we could not afford to bargain contracts that could not be honored down the road. What do we do now? Now that we see America failing on every governmental level and economic level, how do we fix the damage?

                        Healthcare won't fix the economy, bring back jobs, stop the wars we can't fund, make our country safe. We need a different kind of political agenda, and people who are smart enough and independant enough to see it through. Not the same old campaign promises, times run out in my opinion.
                        That was the point of my post. The Government does work for us and it's time for a real change. If that means helping groups like the Tea Party then I just may have to take a look at the Tea Party.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Letter To My Congressman

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          That was the point of my post. The Government does work for us and it's time for a real change. If that means helping groups like the Tea Party then I just may have to take a look at the Tea Party.

                          Mark
                          Sorry Mark, I was losing it there. Do you really think the Tea Party has a chance? Seems like a massive effort would be needed to change the two party system, unless they are just trying to influence the republicans?

                          I'm still wondering how much longer things can continue to worsen before we reach a critical point? Some folks are already there, out of work and losing their homes and I'm not referring to those who got in over their heads.
                          I think this Summer will see further reductions in travel, which means more businesses and families hurt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Letter To My Congressman

                            Originally posted by James P View Post
                            IMHO it's the right answer.

                            If we can convince industry to produce goods here instead of overseas would be the place to start.
                            This is what pisses me off most about Obama, he's hasn't addressed the loss of jobs to third world countries.I think heatlh insurance reform is important. But if nobody has a job, you can't afford it. So who cares? I'd be biting on the backsides of every corporation including Emerson that sent jobs overseas to get them the hell back home! On the other hand. It would be a hard sell to most Americans to break their appetite for cheap goods from China.

                            James
                            Convincing industry to manufacture inthe USA is EASY. It's just not being done, because the rules of the game say you can make more money by not doing it.

                            To convince companies to produce in the US, you just have to change the financial game rules so that it is not more profitable to go offshore.

                            The real problem is that the financial interests that are making the money off the current situation OWN Washington DC. I'm talking literally here. And they aren't going to do anything to kill the golden goose. A huge player in this is China. They own a big chunk fo the Gov't by virtue of their buying up our our debt instruments. The Washington politicos are (all) addicted to spending. Bank bailouts, stimulus, entitlement programs, stupid healthcare plans... spend spend spend. So they NEED China, who is essentially giving them a credit card to continue their spending spree. China is only doing this because they are enjoying the hell out of the US consumer market. They are milking us dry to support THEIR growth while OUR industry withers and dies. They could care less about your future. We're, apparently, stupid enough to continue to fund them, so they're happy to take our money and do the industrial development that we SHOULD be doing... if we weren't too busy buying up cheap stuff. It's madness.

                            Many believe that we can't compete. That's, IMO, utter nonsense. What is true is that we can't compete with buck-an-hour labor in a labor intensive manufacturing scenario. I would lose in hand-to-hand combat with a grizzly bear, too. But give me a 30-06 and I wouldn't bet on the bear.

                            We STILL certainly have the scientists, engineers and inventors in the US to make that 30-06... that is, to change the game to a high tech manufacturing one that minimizes the advantages of cheap labor. But we're not doing it.

                            Meanwhile, China and others ARE doing it. With trillions of US dollars flowing overseas, we're funding them as they race to overtake our technological superiority. They understand that their advantage of cheap labor WILL DISAPPEAR as they become more affluent. In preparation for this inevitable development, they are going after every type of technology to enable them to sustain their industrial position. This is precisely what *WE* are NOT doing. They have the DESIRE to do it, they RECOGNIZE what we apparently don't, and they have even finagled a way for YOU AND I to pay for their progress.

                            They're even sending their young people to Universities in the Unites States! All the while, our output of math and science majors declines, while theirs increases. In the final assessment... the group that has the best technology is going to rule the roost. I wonder why a country with an addiction to tech gadgets seems to be forgetting that?

                            You are never going to get Americans, or any group, to not buy cheap goods. Not gonna happen -- it's a law of economics just as immutable as the laws of physics. So we need to manipulate things a bit... incubate a re-invention and modernization of US industry so that cheap labor isn't the swing factor. We need to TAX the hell out of corporations that import stuff and send jobs offshore and REWARD the hell out of those that invest in US manufacturing.

                            In the beginning, our stuff won't be as cheap as the imports. It will hurt to pay $500 for a blueray player instead of $129. But it won't kill us.

                            And in the end, if we do this right (for a change)... in 15 or 20 yers we will be able to actually exporting stuff to them, and establiush a mutually beneficial trade policy instead of the one-way fiasco that our "leaders" - government and industry have crafted for us today.
                            Last edited by Andy_M; 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Letter To My Congressman

                              Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Sorry Mark, I was losing it there. Do you really think the Tea Party has a chance? Seems like a massive effort would be needed to change the two party system, unless they are just trying to influence the republicans?

                              I'm still wondering how much longer things can continue to worsen before we reach a critical point? Some folks are already there, out of work and losing their homes and I'm not referring to those who got in over their heads.
                              I think this Summer will see further reductions in travel, which means more businesses and families hurt.
                              I listened to one of the "leaders" of the Tea Party being interviewed the other day. He said they don't want their own candidate as they would not have a chance it the current two party system. He said what the want to do is support a candidate for his/her policy and record with no regard to their party.

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X