X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Paracord

I like working with my hands, doing arts and crafts sort of stuff and I recently came across some great videos on YouTube. Specifically braiding different knots for lanyards seems interesting as well as some rope knot tying, such as the "Monkey's fist". I'm going to look into buying some paracord for knife and flashlight lanyards and see if I can learn from these online videos.

Several years ago, I made a video at home demonstrating how to braid a finished eye in rope and wire rope (winch line). There is so much to learn and in my opinion these are very useful things to master. I don't know what specific interest or hobbies you guys may have, but I suggest you give YouTube a search and enjoy the wealth of knowledge folks are willing to share.

Re: Fun With Paracord

A really good site I came accross years ago in regards to knot tying:

http://www.realknots.com/

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      A really good site I came accross years ago in regards to knot tying:

http://www.realknots.com/

Enjoy!
      I checked out the site, lots of good stuff, thanks. The YouTube videos are pretty good, one of the problems however is the time limit of 10 minutes. I can learn somethings from still pictures, but it's nice to see an actual demonstration. Years ago when my oldest daughter was ten she wanted to learn paper folding Origami. We picked out a book and I was the one who learned how to make several paper figures. Learning that from a book was tough, sure would have been nice to see someone do the folds in front of me.

Comment

An oldy but a goodie is "The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford W. Ashley. ISBN 0-385-04025-3. Copyrighted in 1944, it has a lot of the old sailors knots, macrame, etc, and many hand drawn illustrations that make it easy to follow. Button knots, monkey's fist, stopper knots, lanyard weaving, etc. The author was born in 1881, and sailed on whalers, and other ships, so the knots are authentic.

As old as it is, you may want to check it out at the library before going looking for a copy. I don't know if Doubleday is still printing it or knot.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 03-13-2010, 07:29 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X